3440 10 2015-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I purchase a Samsung tablet instead of using my Samsung phone, do I need a data plan to fly the P2 or vision 2+'s?...or do I just use the wifi in the tablet?
2015-6-23
Use props
SacTownRob
lvl.1

United States

Samsung tablets are not like phones so you couldnt get data even if you wanted. You may be able to use your phone as a "mobile hot-spot." That depends on the phone and the carrier. If its set as a hot-spot, you may link the tablet to the phone.
2015-6-23
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

SacTownRob Posted at 2015-6-24 02:32
Samsung tablets are not like phones so you couldnt get data even if you wanted. You may be able to u ...

But do you need cell service or just wifi to fly the p2 or p3?
2015-6-23
Use props
toddstevenson
lvl.2

United States

You do not NEED either active wifi nor cell service to fly.  In fact, manual recommends shutting off wifi.  You do however need to activate your bird once prior to flying, so be sure to do that while connected before you leave your wifi service area..  

GPS, with the ability to reset your controller as home point is needed to take advantage of that feature, and many models of tablets only come with GPS on cell enabled devices.  This feature is not necessary for flight, as the bird has its own GPS...you just won't have that added feature or some GPS aided mapping services if your tablet doesn't have it.

So, yes you can fly (with some map feature limits) without a wifi or cell signal.

In addition, maps will not be updated if you do not have a cell or wifi enabled device.  However, you can cache the maps of the area you will be flying while you are connected to wifi before you travel to your flying location.
2015-6-23
Use props
Paul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4596 ft
Canada

SacTownRob Posted at 2015-6-24 02:32
Samsung tablets are not like phones so you couldnt get data even if you wanted. You may be able to u ...

I beg to differ...4G LTE Galaxy Tabs
2015-6-23
Use props
SacTownRob
lvl.1

United States

Alright Paul....you got me. I was wrong but its not needed for a P3
2015-6-23
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Need a data plan?  No (but nice to have)

Yes, you can just use the wifi.

I have used two different versions of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, one with only wifi (SM-T230NU) and the other (SM-T337V) with a Verizon data plan.  Both running android 4.4 and work just dandy.

SamsungGalaxyTab4_.jpg
2015-6-23
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-24
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

SULTAN Posted at 2015-6-24 20:36
The only time you need the cell service is when you need to download maps into your device.  You ca ...

I want to thank everyone for replying. This was invaluable information and I probably would not have stayed in this hobby if it weren't for this DJI blog. Thanks everyone!
2015-6-24
Use props
boutym
New

United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-23 19:57
Need a data plan?  No (but nice to have)

Yes, you can just use the wifi.

How did you get the Go app on your SM-T230NU?  I just picked one up for use with my Phantom 3 and when I try to install DJI GO it says my device is not compatible.
2015-11-19
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

boutym Posted at 2015-11-19 07:29
How did you get the Go app on your SM-T230NU?  I just picked one up for use with my Phantom 3 and  ...

Afraid I can't help you on that one, I'm no longer using the SM-T230NU.

As my fading memory recalls, when I made that post back in June there was no DJI GO -- at the time the app was called DJI PILOT.  I had actually borrowed a friends Tab 4 to make sure it would work before I bought one of my own.  I decided to upgrade to the SM-T337V (w/ WiFi & Data) and that is what I am using now.  When DJI changed from the DJI PILOT to the DJI GO around August I had no problem making the changeover.
2015-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules