Looking for feedback on how to improve Air 2 video quality
600 6 2020-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

I know a lot of factors go into producing a Youtube video with optimal video quality, and I'm still learning how to do this well. Lately I've been working on how I can produce the best video quality possible for my drone videos, and I would love feedback on what you think of the video quality if this short test run I made yesterday. I shot this with an Air 2 with these details:

• 4K (3840 x 2160)
  • 30 fps
  • HDR
  • Video mode set to automatic exposure, not manual
  • Not sure what ISO or shutter speed since I was in auto mode
  • ND 4 filter
  • NO LUTS or any other post-processing of video
  • Bit Rate 80000 kbps
  • Exported to MOV format
  • Flying in sport mode (so some of my occasional yaws are too fast)

Any feedback on how I might improve video quality, color, frame rate, etc? I know about the shutter speed 2x frame rate rule and using the lowest ISO possible, but I've been hoping using Automatic mode with HDR would simplify much of those decisions for me. Plus, as lighting conditions change, being in automatic exposure mode means the drone can adjust while I focus on flying. How could I improve this?
p.s. The air was so clear you can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance at the very end!

2020-9-24
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Post colour grading will help. Also you should adjust the gimbal settings. They look like they are stock. You should increase them so the movements are slow and smooth. It makes the footage a lot more cinematic and pleasing to watch instead of instant turn right left up and down movements.
2020-9-24
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

22340179 Posted at 9-24 16:16
Post colour grading will help. Also you should adjust the gimbal settings. They look like they are stock. You should increase them so the movements are slow and smooth. It makes the footage a lot more cinematic and pleasing to watch instead of instant turn right left up and down movements.

Thanks - that is great advice! Just what I'm looking for.
2020-9-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dangerly. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this wonderful video you have created using your DJI Mavic Air 2. In addition to this I will post a link where in you can see some tips on how to make your aerial videography stand out ( https://store.dji.com/guides/aerial-videography-tips/ ). Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-9-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video - ND filters are used for controlling motion blur. An ND4 has two f-stops so the amount of density is minor and best used in lower light settings such as sunsets. In blue sky settings you will be better off using an ND16 which has 4 f-stops and will help to create the 180 degree rule if that is what you need.
2020-9-24
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

A J Posted at 9-24 22:11
Great video - ND filters are used for controlling motion blur. An ND4 has two f-stops so the amount of density is minor and best used in lower light settings such as sunsets. In blue sky settings you will be better off using an ND16 which has 4 f-stops and will help to create the 180 degree rule if that is what you need.

Thank you - that makes sense.
2020-9-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dangerly Posted at 9-25 06:39
Thank you - that makes sense.

You're welcome
2020-9-25