o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Today 2 flights with my MA2 and MM.

Great flights, but had a surprise landing on my MM !

What happend?  

After flying low made a right yaw turn to bring my MM back to me, see the video.
Suddenly a beep-beep and "landing"....but i just wanted to fly the MM towards me, NOT interested in landing at that moment.

After analysing my flight i saw that the VPS height started to measure height ; 0.8 - 0.6 meter while flying so much higher.
Measuring this height and with stick down (i wanted to lower the MM) DJI software thinks my MM wants to land !  NOT.

But as i know this phenomenon; quickly UP command to cancel the Unwanted ForceLanding.

Play the video with sound ON.  AND have the audio ON loud at your mobile device while flying!

FOR DJI :  easy to change this behaviour, with forward speed i never want to land my drone!! (who does?) Thus change this in your software, flying speed > 2 m/s = never command an automatic forcelanding, if user want this than give the user a yes/no message on the screen.
AND  make VPS height visible in the FlyApp, like it is in the GoApp.

cheers
JJB

2020-9-30
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Wow, not very good experience! Thanks for sharing jjb!
2020-9-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-9-30
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

JJB, Thanks for figuring this out. Yes we would not want the ability to land while moving in any direction except down!
2020-9-30
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

It is the drop in height around the 9600 mark? I would call it fw. bug because sudden landing while moving sounds very dangerous to me!
Thanks for sharing, JJB!
2020-9-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like you had a narrow escape from a crash landing, Thanks for the warning,
2020-9-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

virtual Posted at 9-30 05:55
It is the drop in height around the 9600 mark? I would call it fw. bug because sudden landing while moving sounds very dangerous to me!
Thanks for sharing, JJB!

yes. at 9581 to be precise   :-)

It is not a bug, this is how DJI guards a normal landing!
Hovering at 0.5 meter, stick down for a while  and craft will perform a soft landing.

BUT   this happens also when VPS height sensor is measuring 0.5 meter, because of fog, beacuse of water spray on the lens, etc etc.

Even with full forward speed (i have tested this!) it will enter a ForceLanding, few pilots on this forum lost their DJI drone like this!!
Its time for DJI to act

cheers
JJB
2020-9-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 9-30 06:00
Looks like you had a narrow escape from a crash landing, Thanks for the warning,

nah, within a sec i pulled up and cancelled this unwanted forcelanding.

But i you don`t know this,  and craft is not in LOS,  and you miss the info on the screen....
2020-9-30
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

videoeditman Posted at 9-30 05:44
JJB, Thanks for figuring this out. Yes we would not want the ability to land while moving in any direction except down!

Definitely!
2020-9-30
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 9-30 06:19
nah, within a sec i pulled up and cancelled this unwanted forcelanding.

But i you don`t know this,  and craft is not in LOS,  and you miss the info on the screen....

2020-9-30
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Very interesting sir!  Yes, I normally have the volume on the phone turned up when I am flying so I hear the announcements.
Thanks for sharing.
2020-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

What an experience.  Thanks for sharing JJB.
2020-9-30
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Nice to know, thanks a lot for noticing/ testing and sharing thanks
2020-9-30
Use props
EHEA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 363960 ft
Germany

Thanks for sharing, this is very useful to know indeed.

I recently re-discovered my love for the Microsoft Flight Simulator (now FS 2020) and when you spend only some time flying in it you cannot avoid wishing that the Fly App would offer an overlay in the style of a Primary Flight Display of modern glass cockpits or Head Up Display in figher jets to present the essential information about the drone's movement and attitude (I think this is common for FPV drones).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wik ... _Boeing_737-800.png

It's not trivial to visualize vertical and horizontal speed, altitude, heading etc etc all at once in an intuitive user friedly way to a pilot, but hey, that problem has been solved now for many decades :-) Specifically, it would really be cool to have a heading in degrees on top, a band display of airspeed combined on the left, a band display of altitude combined with vertical speed on the right (where also the VPS height could appear , and some pitch and roll indicator in the middle.

Cheers
HB
2020-9-30
Use props
Cryptic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1516709 ft
United States

It’s cool how you know how to do that.
2020-9-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good suggestion.
Hope they listen at DJI
2020-9-30
Use props
panthere
lvl.3
Canada

if we could disable the gps in the application that would be very useful too.
2020-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules