which one?
409 8 2020-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimmsch
New
Flight distance : 35272 ft
United States

So I think it might be time to upgrade my Mavic Pro. I am in need of a drone that will easily track my son as he rides his wakeboard about 70 feet behnd our boat at approximately 23mph. 240fps @1080p would be nice, but 120 might suffice.
I have to be honest, I am not the best pilot and I have trouble getting the Mavic Pro to track the boy back there. I get it tracking, but at such a great distance you can't even tell who he is. This is why the 120fps might be OK if the drone has better (easier to use up close) tracking capabilities.

I have to be honest again. I am also thinking of a Skydio 2. This drone seems to track very well.

Someone please help me decide. It will be between the Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic Air 2 and Skydio 2.

I need easy tracking abilities, and good fps 1080P filming. 120fps 4K is unnecessary for a year or 2 until I get a 4K TV.
Keep in mind the primary subject will be behind a boat in salt water, so easy hand landing is important also.

Thanks in advance

2020-10-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well the MA2 is the best choice as far as DJi. Although it's not prefect. Skydio 2
tracks better but lacks in all other areas. I have the Zoom have really like the
active track while riding a bike and a car or two but never a boat.
2020-10-5
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

MA2 or M2pro, M2pro will be my recommendation you can also check out youtube for comparison.
2020-10-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

MA2 is a very good drone for what it sells for, good flight time, camera etc but no top and side sensors, I have the Zoom which is an amazing drone and so is the Pro 2 but then again it depends on your budget. If you looking to save some $ then MA2.
2020-10-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having owned and flown all of them except the Skydio (so can't comment on that one) - I'd get the MA2 unless you want to pay double the price for 20% better image quality and are really into post production editing then get the M2P.
2020-10-6
Use props
jimmsch
New
United States

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will eliminate the M2P due to price.
The MA2 with no side and top sensors seems to not be the best choice either, but the price keeps it in the running.
So what does the M2Z have over Skydio 2 other than the optical zoom (which is a great tool for me)?
I am not sure how important sensors are out on the water with practically zero obstacles, but I am sure we will have it in other places also.
2020-10-6
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jimmsch Posted at 10-6 07:09
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will eliminate the M2P due to price.
The MA2 with no side and top sensors seems to not be the best choice either, but the price keeps it in the running.
So what does the M2Z have over Skydio 2 other than the optical zoom (which is a great tool for me)?

The Mavic 2 zoom would best serve your purpose.

2020-10-6
Use props
jimmsch
New
United States

bjr981s Posted at 10-6 07:24
The Mavic 2 zoom would best serve your purpose.

I seem to be leaning towards this also. I also just saw that a Mavic 3 might be on the horizon. As I do not NEED a new drone until wakeboard season starts again next spring, I just might get through winter with the original Mavic Pro and wait for the newer version. If it has Active Track 3 like the MA2 it would be owrth the wait.
2020-10-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jimmsch. Thank you for reaching out and for choosing DJI. I hope that you will get the best information from our fellow DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. In addition I will post a link where in you can compare all the DJI consumer drones as well ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules