DJI Fly closed, taking my drone in the air
763 22 2020-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blue Flame
lvl.2
Flight distance : 972497 ft
Chile

Some time ago I  updated the DJI Fly app to version 1.1.9 and today, while I had my Mavic Air 2 in flight, it closed,  luckily the controls were still working, my query goes to the moderators, why is this? a bug ?, will it be corrected?

2020-10-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Mods will need to know what type phone you are using as well
2020-10-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have experienced that problem while using an unapproved device. I don't do it twice.
2020-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I had my Mavic Air 2 in flight, it closed,  luckily the controls were still working
That's not lucky, it's just how things work.
The app doesn't control the drone, the controller does.
Losing the app doesn't do anything to your connection to the controller.

my query goes to the moderators, why is this? a bug ?, will it be corrected?

The moderators have no technical knowledge and are unlikely to be able to help.
The issue is likely to be in your phone or tablet rather than the app.
2020-10-6
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

Labroides Posted at 10-6 19:51
I had my Mavic Air 2 in flight, it closed,  luckily the controls were still working

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
2020-10-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-10-7
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... luckily only the app crashed.

Since you can also fly the MA2 completely without a smartphone (of course that is not so comfortable), it should not be a problem at all to let the MA2 return safely ...

2020-10-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Blue Flame. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you arte using please and can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application from us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.
2020-10-7
Use props
Fert
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222516 ft
United States

It's a little concerning when you're looking at your video feed and it just disappears and you're staring at the home screen on your device.
I had my iPad app close once while flying. I'm pretty sure I was overworking the processor. Might have run out of memory on the iPad.
I was using a screen recorder, along with the dji app recording and logging, Plus, you know, the live video feed needs processing power too. So anyway, I restarted the app and everything was fine.
2020-10-8
Use props
Blue Flame
lvl.2
Chile

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-7 20:40
Hello there Blue Flame. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you arte using please and can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly application from us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.

Dear Stephen, in all the time that I have had the MA2 I had not had this problem, previously I had read that the new update had a problem and that is why I allowed a few days to correct the error, after that time I still updated the app. My cell phone is Huawei Mate 20 Lite brand
2020-10-8
Use props
Blue Flame
lvl.2
Chile

Fert Posted at 10-8 00:22
It's a little concerning when you're looking at your video feed and it just disappears and you're staring at the home screen on your device.
I had my iPad app close once while flying. I'm pretty sure I was overworking the processor. Might have run out of memory on the iPad.
I was using a screen recorder, along with the dji app recording and logging, Plus, you know, the live video feed needs processing power too. So anyway, I restarted the app and everything was fine.

After this episode I have not had any more problems with the app
2020-10-8
Use props
erment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 701427 ft
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 10-7 06:51
... luckily only the app crashed.

Since you can also fly the MA2 completely without a smartphone (of course that is not so comfortable), it should not be a problem at all to let the MA2 return safely ...

If I am not mistake you can't go over a certain distance using only a remote without a smartphone connection for safety reason
2020-10-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blue Flame Posted at 10-8 07:39
After this episode I have not had any more problems with the app

If this continues, try turning off the cached video. I never use it anyway and it can cause my tablet to close the app in some instances. All you really need is the screen recorder.
2020-10-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Computers crash, it's happened to me -- scary af at first, but then you get used to it -- I even change apps mid-flight w/o issue with my MP.
2020-10-9
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

One thing you might want to make sure of before you fly is to make sure that background apps are closed prior to taking flight. Apps or other things working in the background can take up resources needed for the Fly app to run smoothly and if there isn't enough resources, it will crash back out to the home screen. This is true on any brand of smart phone. That being said, this may not be the issue, just something that you might consider. It could have been just a one off thing if it's never happened since.
2020-10-9
Use props
Blue Flame
lvl.2
Chile

JodyB Posted at 10-9 05:24
One thing you might want to make sure of before you fly is to make sure that background apps are closed prior to taking flight. Apps or other things working in the background can take up resources needed for the Fly app to run smoothly and if there isn't enough resources, it will crash back out to the home screen. This is true on any brand of smart phone. That being said, this may not be the issue, just something that you might consider. It could have been just a one off thing if it's never happened since.

JodyB, I will consider it in my future flights, thank you for answering
2020-10-9
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blue Flame Posted at 10-9 16:48
JodyB, I will consider it in my future flights, thank you for answering

You are very welcome!! Happy flying!!
2020-10-9
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Yes stay calm and push RTH while you restart Fly app. I wonder how I know this procedure yes it's a tablet GaryD
2020-10-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Blue Flame. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given us. Upon checking the said mobile device ( Huawei Mate 20 Lite ) that your are using on the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Huawei Mate 20 Lite will be able to work on the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

2020-10-12
Use props
Blue Flame
lvl.2
Chile

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-12 00:16
Hi there Blue Flame. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given us. Upon checking the said mobile device ( Huawei Mate 20 Lite ) that your are using on the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Huawei Mate 20 Lite will be able to work on the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks for replying DJI Stephen, I will try to switch devices. Could you publish which tablets are compatible and thus have more alternatives? Thanks again
2020-10-12
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Could you publish which tablets are compatible and thus have more alternatives?

That list is in the message that you quoted...
2020-10-12
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Straightforward, to the point. Thanks for the precise help every time!
2020-10-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Blue Flame Posted at 10-12 15:58
Thanks for replying DJI Stephen, I will try to switch devices. Could you publish which tablets are compatible and thus have more alternatives? Thanks again

Hi there Blue Flame. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Kindly please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules