Altitude Zone (inaccurate per Geo Map?)
1487 10 2020-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MM249
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4055 ft
United States

I’m a Newbie MM owner, so please forgive any redundancy if I’ve posted this topic in error or in an incorrect area of the Forum.

The DJI Fly app is indicating my home - and most of the parks and undeveloped farmland in the surrounding area - are located in an Altitude Zone, but DJI’s Geo Map indicates these areas are over 2.0miles due north of the northernmost West-East boundary of the nearest Restricted Zone. The map does not indicate close proximity to an Altitude Zone, Authorization Zone or Warning Zone. See attached screenshot for reference.

Not certain if I have any options; everything I’ve read so far indicates AZ designators are permanent and are ineligible for temp flight authorizations using KittyHawk or AirMap. Hopeful I’m not stuck with 100’ altitude while practicing near my home for an upcoming trip to the San Juan National Forest in CO. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Altitude Zone map - DJI GeoMap.JPG
2020-10-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drop an email to the flysafe@dji.com for a correction.
2020-10-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Doesn't the drone need to be more than 5 miles from the centre of an airport in the US (unless you have permission from the tower)?
2020-10-13
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

A J Posted at 10-13 03:53
Doesn't the drone need to be more than 5 miles from the centre of an airport in the US (unless you have permission from the tower)?

5 mile rule is no longer.......
UPDATE: In May 2019, the FAA abolished the five-mile rule, announcing that hobbyists could no longer fly within controlled airspace near airports without first obtaining airspace authorization, just as commercial drone pilots must do. Recreational and commercial drone pilots must request authorization through LAANC or FAA DroneZone before flying in controlled airspace near airports.

2020-10-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jwp721 Posted at 10-13 05:05

Cool - when did that change?
2020-10-13
Use props
MM249
lvl.1
United States

Delete - duplicate reply

Delete - duplicate reply
2020-10-13
Use props
MM249
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-13 01:57
Drop an email to the  for a correction.

Thank you.  I've been trading emails with them since last week.  They requested Lat/Long, controller S/N, account info and a screenshot showing the maximum altitude reached message.  Sent everything they asked for.  Then they replied that I'm not in a restricted airspace (already knew that), but no instructions on how to correct the altitude limitation.  Back and forth.  Hoping they can resolve, but it doesn't look promising.
2020-10-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UPDATE: In May 2019, the FAA abolished the five-mile rule, announcing that hobbyists could no longer fly within controlled airspace near airports without first obtaining airspace authorization, just as commercial drone pilots must do. Recreational and commercial drone pilots must request authorization through LAANC or FAA DroneZone before flying in controlled airspace near airports.

Thanks for the update - good for you lot - when the geo works
2020-10-13
Use props
MM249
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the info.  The only thing is I'm not situated in a controlled airspace near an airport.  I'm outside of the "bow tie" of the closest airport, and according to DJI FlySafe tech support "The requested area is not in the no-fly zone, there is no need to submit the unlocking request to DJI to fly the aircraft in the area."   Do I still need to request authorization via LAANC or DroneZone if I'm not located in restricted airspace, according to Geo Map and FAA UASFM?
2020-10-13
Use props
Victototo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88494 ft
Hong Kong

I think GEO Altitude zone is not the only reason you see altitude limitation in DJI Fly. Other reasons may also result a altitude limitation such as expired log-in account or take off without enough GPS signal. You may check the detail with DJI CS team and they may give you more suggestions.
2020-10-23
Use props
hgunawan82
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14452 ft
Indonesia

MM249 Posted at 2020-10-13 05:25
Thank you.  I've been trading emails with them since last week.  They requested Lat/Long, controller S/N, account info and a screenshot showing the maximum altitude reached message.  Sent everything they asked for.  Then they replied that I'm not in a restricted airspace (already knew that), but no instructions on how to correct the altitude limitation.  Back and forth.  Hoping they can resolve, but it doesn't look promising.

Ooh.. I just sent an email as suggested (by someone above), and reading your comments, I am hopeless.

Hendra
2021-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules