How to preserve full battery charge for longer amount of time?
549 8 2020-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

My Air 2 batteries have maybe five hours of use on them at most. I've noticed that when I fully charge them and then check back only 5 days later, all batteries are down to two solid green lights and the third green light blinking. So I've learned I must charge the batteries the night before I'm flying.

I think (maybe?) I read somewhere, that when DJI ships the batteries in a shrinkwrapped drone box, they are in some sort of suspended state. Is this accurate or was I dreaming this? I imagine this makes the batteries safer for shipping, and I suspect it also preserves the charge in the batteries better (just guessing). Is there anyway to activate this mode after you've started using the batteries?

Is there any way to slow down the discharge, so the batteries will hold a relatively full charge for a longer amount of time?
2020-10-17
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

LIPO batteries were never meant to be fully charged up and then sit for days at a time as this can lead to reduced battery life. After a flight I charge the battery to 2 solid and 1 flashing led for storage. Delay full charges to be as close to flight time as practical. Recommend reading the "Intelligent Flight Battery" section in the Mavic AIr 2 User Manual v1.2 starting at the bottom of page 24.
2020-10-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

As to whether you can change the discharge rate, I don't think so. It is programmed into the battery itself. I keep one battery on the charger at all times and rotate them. It probably means less lifetime but I want to have at least one battery ready with a full charge always.

And yes, they are in "hibernation" when shipped to minimize risk. They have to awakened by the charger.

2020-10-17
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 10-17 18:59
LIPO batteries were never meant to be fully charged up and then sit for days at a time as this can lead to reduced battery life. After a flight I charge the battery to 2 solid and 1 flashing led for storage. Delay full charges to be as close to flight time as practical. Recommend reading the "Intelligent Flight Battery" section in the Mavic AIr 2 User Manual v1.2 starting at the bottom of page 24.

Thanks for your reply. Why do you charge at all for storage, instead of leaving them more discharged and then fully charge as close to flight time as possible?
2020-10-17
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-17 19:02
As to whether you can change the discharge rate, I don't think so. It is programmed into the battery itself. I keep one battery on the charger at all times and rotate them. It probably means less lifetime but I want to have at least one battery ready with a full charge always.

And yes, they are in "hibernation" when shipped to minimize risk. They have to awakened by the charger.

Thanks. If you leave the battery on the charger, I thought it stops charging once full, and then won't charge again unless you power cycle the charger or unplug / replug the battery back in. If you leave it plugged in, will it keep fully charged?

Do you know if there's any way to reactivate the hibernation state?
2020-10-17
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Dangerly Posted at 10-17 19:10
Thanks. If you leave the battery on the charger, I thought it stops charging once full, and then won't charge again unless you power cycle the charger or unplug / replug the battery back in. If you leave it plugged in, will it keep fully charged?

Oh I get it, you constantly rotate. How often do you rotate - every day or two? That would make sense.
2020-10-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dangerly Posted at 10-17 19:10
Thanks. If you leave the battery on the charger, I thought it stops charging once full, and then won't charge again unless you power cycle the charger or unplug / replug the battery back in. If you leave it plugged in, will it keep fully charged?

It keeps the battery at full charge as long as it is attached. You don't have to cycle it. I should add that I never use the charging hub.

I have no idea about activating the hibernation.
2020-10-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dangerly Posted at 10-17 19:11
Oh I get it, you constantly rotate. How often do you rotate - every day or two? That would make sense.

Maybe once a week.
2020-10-17
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Dangerly Posted at 10-17 19:09
Thanks for your reply. Why do you charge at all for storage, instead of leaving them more discharged and then fully charge as close to flight time as possible?

It prolongs the life of the battery. Over time the battery industry has determined that leaving a battery at the 40-60% is the preferred charge level for storage. If you leave the battery discharged after a flight for a prolong period of time you risk the possibility the charge may drop to a level which it cannot recover from.
2020-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules