1589 21 2020-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does anyone have this Exposure issue when panning up with their MA2?When in Auto mode and panning up, the camera adjusts too quickly causing a noticable step or darkening- In this video the step happens at the 5 second mark:

Does anyone else have this issue?

2020-10-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lock the exposure by tapping the AE icon before recording and use the M.M to set the exposure before doing so.
2020-10-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I agree with AJ
2020-10-19
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-19 22:08
Lock the exposure by tapping the AE icon before recording and use the M.M to set the exposure before doing so.

Thanks for the reply.
I am more just seeing if anyone else's drone does this or is it just mine?
It shouldn't jump like this is my thinking, so just seeing if its just my drone or is this a known issue.

About locking exposure, If I am point the camera straight down 90' and then pan up I cannot Lock the exposure and get it exposed correctly because, If I exposure for the ground it blows out the sky, and if I expose correctly for the sky, the ground is too dark.  I can only exposure for the ground or the sky, not both.
In the video I cant recall if I had an ND filter on or not, if it was it would be the standard combo bundle ND filter- Dont know if this would affect the auto exposure?

2020-10-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SLiWooDy. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given. As AJ posted on post #2, lock the exposure on the DJI Fly application by hitting the AE icon on the said application before recording and use the M.M icon to set the exposure as well. By the way the video you have filmed looks cool. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-10-19
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-19 22:45
Hello there SLiWooDy. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given. As AJ posted on post #2, lock the exposure on the DJI Fly application by hitting the AE icon on the said application before recording and use the M.M icon to set the exposure as well. By the way the video you have filmed looks cool. Thank you and fly safe always.

HEy Stepthen

About locking exposure, If I am point the camera straight down 90' and then pan up I cannot Lock the exposure and get it exposed correctly because, If I exposure for the ground it blows out the sky, and if I expose correctly for the sky, the ground is too dark.  I can only exposure for the ground or the sky, not both.
In the video I cant recall if I had an ND filter on or not, if it was it would be the standard combo bundle ND filter- Dont know if this would affect the auto exposure?
2020-10-19
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Yes, this has happened with my MA2 as well. In this one the exposure shifted quickly on a horizontal pan but as the video progresses I turned the MA2 into the sunset and there was no noticalble exposure shift.

The shift in this video occurs at the 6 second mark.

2020-10-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-19 22:44
Thanks for the reply.
I am more just seeing if anyone else's drone does this or is it just mine?
It shouldn't jump like this is my thinking, so just seeing if its just my drone or is this a known issue.

Yes, all drones do it when using auto exposure. You need to lock in the exposure to prevent the shifting or use manual settings. Auto means aligning the exposure in addition to everything else. As the lighting conditions change with pitch and pan movements of the drone/gimbal the camera will attempt to capture the best image automatically. I would be far more concerned if it didn't do this.
2020-10-19
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 10-19 23:20
Yes, this has happened with my MA2 as well. In this one the exposure shifted quickly on a horizontal pan but as the video progresses I turned the MA2 into the sunset and there was no noticalble exposure shift.

Wow thats a massive "JUMP" @ 6 seconds. I guess its just the limits of the drones camera.
2020-10-19
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-19 23:35
Wow thats a massive "JUMP" @ 6 seconds. I guess its just the limits of the drones camera.

Unless Dji can smoothen out this SHIFT?
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

If you dont want it to happen

1) set manual exposure
2) AE lock the Auto Exposure

All drones do this unless you do one of these two things.
2020-10-20
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think there is a bit of confusion over this post.
The OP is about the HUGE  JUMP / SHIFT in exposure when in AUTO mode. (SEE OP VIDEO @ 6 seconds)
The OP is fully aware that going in Manual Mode or locking exposure will stop this, but that is not what this thread is about.
Even in Auto mode the camera shouldn't not suddenly just "JUMP or SHIFT" to a new exposure- it should be a steady gradual change.
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-20 05:27
I think there is a bit of confusion over this post.
The OP is about the HUGE  JUMP / SHIFT in exposure when in AUTO mode. (SEE OP VIDEO @ 6 seconds)
The OP is fully aware that going in Manual Mode or locking exposure will stop this, but that is not what this thread is about.

Thats a normal shift in auto.
2020-10-20
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scarves UP Posted at 10-20 05:39
Thats a normal shift in auto.

That's Normal?

I don't mean to be rude, but that is not normal, or shouldn't be normal.
If it was any other camera that would be classed as a defect.

2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-20 05:45
That's Normal?

I don't mean to be rude, but that is not normal, or shouldn't be normal.

It just sensed a change in the environment. Thats why there is a lock button.
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

Scarves UP Posted at 10-20 05:56

My mini does the same thing. It could maybe be fixed in a firmware update.
2020-10-20
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scarves UP Posted at 10-20 05:56

Well there is a problem with it sensing incorrectly then.
This video here at 6 seconds should not SHIFT like that, the environment is not changing that much to justify the instant change.
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-20 06:00
This video here at 6 seconds should not SHIFT like that, the environment is not changing that much to justify the instant change.
https://youtu.be/oZi9CgqKgYI

Im not saying its good, or it isnt a problem. Unfortunately, it is what it is.
All drones do that (At least with my experience) and if you dont like it, lock it. Thats it.
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-20 06:00
https://youtu.be/oZi9CgqKgYI

Great video by the way.
2020-10-20
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scarves UP Posted at 10-20 06:08
Great video by the way.

Thank you!

Back to this issue,
From testing, The Mavic Mini doesn't do it, Mavic Pro 1 doesn't do it, Mavic air 1 doesn't do it, and Phantom 3 doesn't do it.  (I haven't noticed any of these drones do this)

Some Scenarios require Auto Exp mode- like if your flying from a dark area to light, or panning from dark area to light (or vice versa) .
Locking exposure in these cases is not an option.
But with the drone doing this massive exposure shift its ruining the footage anyway.
Now originally I thought it was just panning up or down that was the problem, but as pappy3 has shown, even rotating  the drone can cause it, which is very strange.

I am wondering if its the angle of the sun causing a shadow from the drone over the camera?
Would  a camera sun hood resolve the issue?
Is  everyone's MA2 doing this huge exposure shift>?
Can a firmware update fix it?
Are Dji even aware of it?

I think I will need to go do some testing and find out if and what is causing it.
2020-10-20
Use props
HitrackAP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 428176 ft
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 10-19 23:20
Yes, this has happened with my MA2 as well. In this one the exposure shifted quickly on a horizontal pan but as the video progresses I turned the MA2 into the sunset and there was no noticalble exposure shift.

Ive had this when using HDR mode. I tend to let the camera settle on the scene before recording or I get this huge jump. Its ruined a few shots in the past.
2020-10-20
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
United States

SLiWooDy Posted at 10-20 07:23
Thank you!

Back to this issue,

Dont have an MA2, cant confirm nor dent. But it doesnt worry me, sun is the toughest subject for a camera.
2020-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules