First Timer, Season Change
509 17 2020-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Hi fellow pilots have a serious question, well more to some then others just having joined the family his spring with my Mighty Mini (to me) and then on to it's big brother the Air 2 in September known now to me as a flying Leopard Frog (some have seen Leopard skin) This being my first winter as a drone pilot, how do you keep your drones in shape during the rainy season in my region the NW, I can put on rain gear for myself but my drones? With DJI saying they have a moisture censure or indicator tab on Air 2 and Mini's (read in post) and probably on all thier family of products electronices but, what kind of finger and thumb excises do you do? and how many reps?
I know these are small things during this time of a World pandemic (Covic 19) and changes but, I have to look ahead when we can look at each other in the face and see and enjoy those SMILES of pleasure after having a great, enjoyable flight or viewing a shared video with friends whether inperson visiting (BIG screen) or by internet assisted are giving them the opportunity of a birds eye view or picture of thier and your surroundings, Group pictures at a social distance what ever it maybe with a Mini it doesn't matter.
It's coming my Drone pilot friends. hang in there.
How many reps!

2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Winter offers some great shots so don't pack it all up until Spring like some do. Firstly, never fly a drone in the rain IMO. They can handle a moderate amount of water resistance but they are not waterproof products. Rain drops on the lens ruins footage, rain drops getting into the vents and thus inside the drone can cause serious problems as with any electronic device and worst of all, water getting into the battery casing can be dangerous.

When the conditions are dry the cold temperatures are your next considerations. The batteries will need to be warmed up before flight. So hovering the drone until they reach about 20c is ideal and be more gentle on the sticks during flight. You will also find that in very cold conditions around 0c or sub zero your flights times will be noticeably reduced.

Be mindful of strong winds, wrap up warm and a pair of E-tip gloves enabling you to use the touch screen on your device whilst keeping your hands and fingers warm is essential.
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-21 11:03
Winter offers some great shots so don't pack it all up until Spring like some do. Firstly, never fly a drone in the rain IMO. They can handle a moderate amount of water resistance but they are not waterproof products. Rain drops on the lens ruins footage, rain drops getting into the vents and thus inside the drone can cause serious problems as with any electronic device and worst of all, water getting into the battery casing can be dangerous.

When the conditions are dry the cold temperatures are your next considerations. The batteries will need to be warmed up before flight. So hovering the drone until they reach about 20c is ideal and be more gentle on the sticks during flight. You will also find that in very cold conditions around 0c or sub zero your flights times will be noticeably reduced.

A thermos of hot coffee with a little "restorative" added is worth considering, too. (For after the flight, of course!)
2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 11:26
A thermos of hot coffee with a little "restorative" added is worth considering, too. (For after the flight, of course!)

Hahahaha - thats a must (when not driving)
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-21 11:27
Hahahaha - thats a must (when not driving)

I get the "observer" to drive back. She stays warm in the car whilst I freeze my nuts off flying the drone
2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 11:39
I get the "observer" to drive back. She stays warm in the car whilst I freeze my nuts off flying the drone

Hahahahahaha - it's very, very rare that my other half drives me to my flight locations unless it's a 'day out' and I just happen to bring the drone
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-21 11:40
Hahahahahaha - it's very, very rare that my other half drives me to my flight locations unless it's a 'day out' and I just happen to bring the drone

Enthusiasm for the task varies in inverse proportion to the weather, with Management here.  She likes the locations visited for the flights, but the cold and damp are anathema to her these days.  Pretty unreasonable of her I reckon
2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 11:42
Enthusiasm for the task varies in inverse proportion to the weather, with Management here.  She likes the locations visited for the flights, but the cold and damp are anathema to her these days.  Pretty unreasonable of her I reckon

. She can always wait in the car for three hours
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-21 11:43
. She can always wait in the car for three hours

You may remember, back in the summer while we were still in France, she had a couple of flights with the Mini herself.  That's not likely to be repeated over here.
2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 11:46
You may remember, back in the summer while we were still in France, she had a couple of flights with the Mini herself.  That's not likely to be repeated over here.

Good for her. My wife's level of interest is "that looks nice" but she is very supportive of my hobby. Especially when it comes to replacing £750 drones with new ones...
2020-10-21
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-21 11:48
Good for her. My wife's level of interest is "that looks nice" but she is very supportive of my hobby. Especially when it comes to replacing £750 drones with new ones...

I managed to swing a third drone by invoking the "His and Hers" premise. The P4 and the M2Z are mine, and the Mini is hers ( in principle )
2020-10-21
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 10-21 12:31
I managed to swing a third drone by invoking the "His and Hers" premise. The P4 and the M2Z are mine, and the Mini is hers ( in principle  )

I like the strategy.
2020-10-21
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for your responses and suggestions being in a similar climate a few thousand miles west but almost as wet over the winter months but sheltered by a couple mountain ranges one on each side to soften the effects a little. I like winter, cold, snow and clear but only a few months of rain and I'm a native from here. But I've always liked to break up the rainy season. I 'll keep in mine about flying through this season. I don't have warming blanket but I do find pants pocket works pretty good.
2020-10-21
Use props
akosh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 898396 ft
Hungary

Make sure to also charge your phone (and bring a power bank for longer trips). Phone batteries tend to drain quickly in the cold.
2020-10-21
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

Just thought of I wonder if DJI could help, Heated Joy sticks. I know some of you motorcyclist might use powered hand warmers
2020-10-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

" I can put on rain gear for myself but my drones? "

"Minor" tear in the fabric, but otherwise, not a problem ;-)

As for the winter, we don't have those here in Florida. Drone season (and sailing season) is 12 months long.

2020-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there 3Recon. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given us. In addition this thread I will post a DJI tutorial video on how to fly in Hot and Cold Weather. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

2020-10-21
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen thinks for the link
2020-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules