Jerky panning after rendering.
1043 7 2020-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
syd\
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33593 ft
United Kingdom

I am getting jerky panning with my Mavic 2 Pro. It happens with vertical and horizontal panning but horizontal is the worst. The camera is set at 4K 30fps. The original footage from the camera plays fairly smoothly with just a little minor jerkiness at times, but the post edit and rendered footage is very bad.

I am using Premiere Elements and the output settings are 3840 x 2160, H.264, 25 fps, 50Mbps.

I tried upping the bitrate to 100Mbps but this causes buffering when playing from PC to TV via my LAN.

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong? It is clearly a common problem as I also see this very often on viewers videos shown on TV.
2020-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Framerate does not match.
So editor has to drop 1 frame every 6 to get to 25
Render to 30 and you are good.
(or shoot in 25fps)
2020-10-22
Use props
syd\
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-22 10:51
Framerate does not match.
So editor has to drop 1 frame every 6 to get to 25
Render to 30 and you are good.

That seems such an obvious thing to miss. I have changed the Mavic to 4K 25fps and I will run a test soon. I did not think it would make that much difference.
2020-10-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

syd\@sydh.co.uk Posted at 10-22 12:14
That seems such an obvious thing to miss. I have changed the Mavic to 4K 25fps and I will run a test soon. I did not think it would make that much difference.

You notice it most in panning shots.
But only in the rendered product.
Better slow it down first to match 25 fps if you have to convert it (it might even look more 'cinematic' afterwards) rather than just render in 25
2020-10-22
Use props
syd\
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-22 13:20
You notice it most in panning shots.
But only in the rendered product.
Better slow it down first to match 25 fps if you have to convert it (it might even look more 'cinematic' afterwards) rather than just render in 25

Thanks. That could be the problem. Time to do some testing.
2020-10-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

syd\@sydh.co.uk Posted at 10-23 03:18
Thanks. That could be the problem. Time to do some testing.

Let me know how it goes!
2020-10-23
Use props
syd\
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-23 07:25
Let me know how it goes!

The saga continues. I tested the drone in my garden by hovering just a few feet up and slowly rotated 90 degrees with a cam setting. Then another 90 degrees with another setting and so forth. All settings from 1080p through to 4K FULL FOV were perfect playing the files on my TV. No jerking at all. I was getting jerking on the PC monitor which probably shows a problem with the PC graphics. Even 1080p was jerky which surprised me.
My next test is to run the files through Premiere Elements with a very minor edit and then export back to MP4. If the exported file is then choppy on the TV, then it is definitely either the PC graphics or Premiere.
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

syd\@sydh.co.uk Posted at 11-11 04:55
The saga continues. I tested the drone in my garden by hovering just a few feet up and slowly rotated 90 degrees with a cam setting. Then another 90 degrees with another setting and so forth. All settings from 1080p through to 4K FULL FOV were perfect playing the files on my TV. No jerking at all. I was getting jerking on the PC monitor which probably shows a problem with the PC graphics. Even 1080p was jerky which surprised me.
My next test is to run the files through Premiere Elements with a very minor edit and then export back to MP4. If the exported file is then choppy on the TV, then it is definitely either the PC graphics or Premiere.

Could very well be the case indeed.
I had this happen with my TV too now that you mention it.
2020-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules