Upgrading
1216 30 2020-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I am concidering the Mavic air 2. And have a quest.  I have the mavic mini now.I know I have tonregister it.
I will be using it just for recreational only.
Do I have to get a recionational license, not part 107.
Keep it simple please.

2020-10-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe this link will help you:

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-united-states-of-america/
2020-10-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello Donut, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate your inquiry. License for flying a drone will vary depend on your usage. Comment Blériot53 under reply #2 is very helpful. You can refer to the link given by him or might as well contact the local law authority who handles drone law in your area so that you can get more information regarding this matter. Enjoy flying. Thank you for your support.
2020-10-29
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-29 12:07
Hello Donut, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate your inquiry. License for flying a drone will vary depend on your usage. Comment Blériot53 under reply #2 is very helpful. You can refer to the link given by him or might as well contact the local law authority who handles drone law in your area so that you can get more information regarding this matter. Enjoy flying. Thank you for your support.

Ok I looked at the site Blefiots53 and didn't see anything on Recreational license unless I missed.
In my state Mi. It was ruled in the last few weeks that local government cannot infringe on people flying drones. But drone pilots must fly under FAA rules which makes sense. They cannot restrict flying in local parks.
So if you don’t need a recreational license what are they for.
Guess I’m still confused.
Doug
2020-10-29
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is a simple $5 fee, registration with the FAA.  You take a brief test in the DJI set up that takes you to the FAA site and certifies you and you're good to go.  I have shown several friends how to do it but it is very well done through the DJI set up.
2020-10-29
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

For recreational, just do that.  One registration number goes on all your drones over 250 g...and it lasts for 3 years.
https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/register
2020-10-29
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I make a label with registration number, name, and phone number on the inside of the battery compartment.  Then just the registration number somewhere on the exterior of the drone.
2020-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Keep it simple please.
For some reason no-one has properly answered the questions you asked.

For recreational flying in the USA you do not need to register drones that weigh less than 250 grams.
The Mini weighs 249 grams.
There is no recreational licence
2020-10-29
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-29 15:58
Keep it simple please.

Thanks you. That is exactly what I and others needed to know.
Instill will Register my MM and any future drone I get.
Thank you so much.
2020-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Donut Posted at 10-29 16:04
Thanks you. That is exactly what I and others needed to know.
Instill will Register my MM and any future drone I get.
Thank you so much.

I still will Register my MM and any future drone I get.
There's no need to register to fly your Mini as it's under the minimum weight limit.

And FAA recreational registration does not register your drone.
They don't ask for any details of your drone/drones.

They register you and is good for as many drones as you have.
2020-10-29
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-29 17:42
I still will Register my MM and any future drone I get.
There's no need to register to fly your Mini as it's under the minimum weight limit.

It’s over 249 with leg extenders and strobe.
So I need to register.
2020-10-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I registered mine/myself because I wanted to be able to use a float attached. It's a simple process online for just $5. It carries the same reg number over to any other drones you own. This is just for recreational use, not commercial or special use (part 107). I used a simple ultra-fine tip black Magic Marker to add the number (and my phone#, not required) to them all ;-)

For what it is worth, the FAA website specifically says you are "registering your drone", although that really makes no sense as they never ask for any drone details,

2020-10-29
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-29 18:53
I registered mine/myself because I wanted to be able to use a float attached. It's a simple process online for just $5. It carries the same reg number over to any other drones you own. This is just for recreational use, not commercial or special use (part 107). I used a simple ultra-fine tip black Magic Marker to add the number (and my phone#, not required) to them all ;-)

For what it is worth, the FAA website specifically says you are "registering your drone", although that really makes no sense as they never ask for any drone details,

Thank you. I don’t need 107 for as little as I fly and it’s just local in sight with no people below. Non commercial .
Doug
2020-10-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I should add that if you go direct through the FAA site, there is no test enforced. I don't know why they say it is required and then offer no references except for 107. Typical government fubar I guess.
2020-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 10-29 19:35
I should add that if you go direct through the FAA site, there is no test enforced. I don't know why they say it is required and then offer no references except for 107. Typical government fubar I guess.

I don't know why they say it is required and then offer no references except for 107.
They do because a couple of years ago they announced they were going to have a test.
They updated their website but that's the last anyone's heard of it.
2020-10-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A few more details about the "pending?" recreational test requirements. Just a request by the FAA for recommendations about the course(s) as of Dec 2019: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreati ... ledge_test_updates/
2020-10-30
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-29 15:58
Keep it simple please.

The OP was in consideration of an upgrade to the MAVIC AIR 2 from the MAVIC MINI...how do you propose to keep that any more simple than what I posted?
2020-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

maihem.rc Posted at 11-2 10:22
The OP was in consideration of an upgrade to the MAVIC AIR 2 from the MAVIC MINI...how do you propose to keep that any more simple than what I posted?

The OP asked one question and was the one who asked for responders to keep things simple.
Others started complicating by answering questions he didn't ask.
You said something about registering drones over 50 grams and didn't answer his question about a recreational licence.
The OP's response to my post suggests that I gave him the info he was needing.
2020-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 10-30 19:07
A few more details about the "pending?" recreational test requirements. Just a request by the FAA for recommendations about the course(s) as of Dec 2019: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreati ... ledge_test_updates/

A few more details about the "pending?" recreational test requirements.
Over a year ago knowledge test was being developed and the FAA was seeking information to help them formulate a simple test.
If the FAA existed way back then, WIlbur and Orville would still be waiting clearance for takeoff.
2020-11-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-2 14:48
A few more details about the "pending?" recreational test requirements.
Over a year ago knowledge test was being developed and the FAA was seeking information to help them formulate a simple test.
If the FAA existed way back then, WIlbur and Orville would still be waiting clearance for takeoff.

Did you notice that I used quotes around "pending". That implies sarcasm.
2020-11-2
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-2 14:43
The OP asked one question and was the one who asked for responders to keep things simple.
Others started complicating by answering questions he didn't ask.
You said something about registering drones over 50 grams and didn't answer his question about a recreational licence.

Aha, I typoed the 250 g. requirement for recreational flying registration.  Thanks for helping me out there.  What is your stance on the consideration of the Mavic Air 2 then that you seem to have written off from the OP?  Not trying to be confrontational here, but this question is posted to the Mavic Air 2 forum not the Mavic Mini fourm, just feel like you and I read the same question from the OP and interpreted the question completely differently as you just stuck to the Mavic Mini not being registered, which I agree doesn't need to be registered but I still don't think this question was about the Mavic Mini.
2020-11-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-2 15:59
Did you notice that I used quotes around "pending". That implies sarcasm.

Having been around federal government agencies for many years the use of "pending" by most agencies usually means "sometime in the future" but not near future.  LOL.  A friend with knowledge of the "pending" test requirement indicates they are still involved with Step 2 of the process and would not even speculate as to when implementation could occur.  COVID-19 seems to have slowed them down to a crawl on moving forward.  

To all:  Keep flying safe and don't worry about the "pending" test.
2020-11-4
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

This answer is for the United States.  I will fully state that even the FAA website is hard to understand in some respects, and reading the law is damn near impossible.  Unless I'm totally mistaken, there are two parts.  Pilot registration and aircraft registration.  Pilot registration for drones is one of two "levels".  the full Part 107 that is needed for commercial operation, and the "Exception for Recreational Flyers".  The part 107 requires a test, whereas the recreational exception does not - at least currently (that may change - one of these days).

The Aircraft part gets a little more complex.  If you are flying under the Exception for Recreational Flyers, your pilot registration is all you need.  If you are flying under Part 107, each aircraft needs it's own registration.  An aircraft registered under Part 107 CAN be flown under the recreational exception, but NOT the other way around.  For a Part 107 aircraft registration, you DO include manufacturer, model and serial number of the aircraft.  Then there is the whole 250 gram or less exception to registration.  I have not determined if that is for recreational flying, part 107 flying or both.  Like I said, the law is confusing as all get out (I'm NOT a lawyer).

With all that said, I got my recreational exception registration for me, and I did register my Mini (which is often over 250 grams because a lot of my flying is at night, and adding strobes puts it over 250 grams).  I don't currently expect to do any commercial flying, but I may get the part 107 registration one of these days - just because I can....
2020-11-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

maihem.rc Posted at 11-4 06:16
Aha, I typoed the 250 g. requirement for recreational flying registration.  Thanks for helping me out there.  What is your stance on the consideration of the Mavic Air 2 then that you seem to have written off from the OP?  Not trying to be confrontational here, but this question is posted to the Mavic Air 2 forum not the Mavic Mini fourm, just feel like you and I read the same question from the OP and interpreted the question completely differently as you just stuck to the Mavic Mini not being registered, which I agree doesn't need to be registered but I still don't think this question was about the Mavic Mini.

What is your stance on the consideration of the Mavic Air 2 then that you seem to have written off from the OP?

Since the OP didn't ask for opinions relevant to the choice between the two drones, I didn't see any need to offer any.
He only asked:  Do I have to get a recionational license, not part 107
And in the interests of keeping it simple, that's the question I answered.

But since you are asking, I don't have any opinion.
Either drone could be fine for the OP depending on what his requirements are.

2020-11-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Webster defines "simple" with at least 10 definitions. What you see as simple may not be what others see.
2020-11-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-4 15:07
Webster defines "simple" with at least 10 definitions. What you see as simple may not be what others see.

The OP specifically asked to keep it simple.
I thought I understood what he meant and the OP's response to my answer is a pretty good indication that I did.

2020-11-4
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

maihem.rc Posted at 10-29 12:56
I make a label with registration number, name, and phone number on the inside of the battery compartment.  Then just the registration number somewhere on the exterior of the drone.

Um, the registration number must appear on the outside of the drone. No longer allowed inside the battery compartment.
2020-11-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-4 15:22
The OP specifically asked to keep it simple.
I thought I understood what he meant and the OP's response to my answer is a pretty good indication that I did.

The OP also labeled the topic "Upgrading". Pat yourself on the shoulder all you want. More than that, try against all odds to keep an open mind.
2020-11-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tentoes Posted at 11-4 17:47
Um, the registration number must appear on the outside of the drone. No longer allowed inside the battery compartment.

Yes, and that is pretty much what he said. Please read the second sentence.
2020-11-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 11-4 19:34
The OP also labeled the topic "Upgrading". Pat yourself on the shoulder all you want. More than that, try against all odds to keep an open mind.

What are you carping about again and again?
It looks like I'll have to revise my opinion of you.
The OP asked a simple question, which I answered correctly and to his satisfaction.
There was no need for you to but in even once, but you come back again and again, sniping pointlessly.
Just give it a rest.
2020-11-5
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tentoes Posted at 11-4 17:47
Um, the registration number must appear on the outside of the drone. No longer allowed inside the battery compartment.

I understand it must be on the exterior of the drone, have been doing that since the beginning of registration requirements.  I like to put labels on the inside of the battery compartment and on each battery that add my name and phone number so I have a chance of someone returning my drone should something go wrong, or if the battery and drone should become separated.  There is nothing that says I am not allowed to add additional information anywhere I wish.
2020-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules