Incorrect lat/long data on Images
976 6 2020-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans85bfbe41
lvl.1
United States

I have multiple groups of drone images I am importing into ArcGIS Pro in batches. At some point a group of photos started to renumber themselves at _001 causing duplicate names for images.

When I import the group of images with duplicate names they are placed in the location of the images with those names originially. Renaming the files and reimporting has not helped, they still go to the wrong locaitons.

I am worried the actual Exif data may be wrong now.  Can I recover the originaly image locations from the flight logs somehow or point GIS to the correct locations?
2020-11-2
Use props
fans85bfbe41
lvl.1
United States

When I look at the file details in file explorer it says "multiple values" for lat, long, and elevation/
2020-11-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am worried the actual Exif data may be wrong now.  Can I recover the originaly image locations from the flight logs somehow or point GIS to the correct locations?
Why?
How would the location data be wrong?
2020-11-3
Use props
fans85bfbe41
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-3 01:07
Why?
How would the location data be wrong?

I would like to confirm at this point that the Exif data is wrong. Is there anyway to find a GPS file with the correct references to locations that I can can point GIS to from the flight logs or othert DJI data?

Is there a way to correct the Exif data if I can find the correct lat/long data for my images somewhere in the DJI data?

I guess my biggest hurdle is finding the correct lat/long data somewhere. Are they in they in the flight logs or flight records or somewhere else?

2020-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans85bfbe41 Posted at 11-10 08:37
I would like to confirm at this point that the Exif data is wrong. Is there anyway to find a GPS file with the correct references to locations that I can can point GIS to from the flight logs or othert DJI data?

Is there a way to correct the Exif data if I can find the correct lat/long data for my images somewhere in the DJI data?

You have said several times that the Exif location data is wrong but haven't explained what's wrong or how that might have happened.
It would be exceptionally unusual if it really is wrong.
Without seeing any confirmation myself, I tend to think that it's much more likely that you are mistaken.
It might help if you could explain the issue better and post an image as an example.

You could do a simple test by shooting a straight down image of something easily identifiable in your part of the world and comparing to the location shown in Google Earth.

2020-11-10
Use props
fans85bfbe41
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-10 14:17
You have said several times that the Exif location data is wrong but haven't explained what's wrong or how that might have happened.
It would be exceptionally unusual if it really is wrong.
Without seeing any confirmation myself, I tend to think that it's much more likely that you are mistaken.

The images clearly appearing in the wrong locations in the arcgis map. The Exif data corresponds to these incorrect locations.

This happened because some images had duplicate names of previous images, e.g. DJI_0001 etc. At some point the drone/memory card started renumbering at 1. The images that I tried to import into arcgis that corresponded to a duplicate named image that had previously been imported all took on the lat/long data from the previous duplicate images. They are imported into the GIS map in the exact locations of the other images and the Exif data for lat/long matches the previously imported images lat/long data.

There are a few images in this batch that were not duplicates, e.g. when looking at the initial batch of roughly DJI_0001 through DJI_0025 a few images were not imported because of qualify control etc. So for example if the first time through DJI_005 was not imported into arcgis, in the second round of duplicate named images that now have incorrect Exif data, the second DJI_oo5 is the only image in the correct location with the correct Exif data.

2020-11-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans85bfbe41 Posted at 11-11 06:08
The images clearly appearing in the wrong locations in the arcgis map. The Exif data corresponds to these incorrect locations.

This happened because some images had duplicate names of previous images, e.g. DJI_0001 etc. At some point the drone/memory card started renumbering at 1. The images that I tried to import into arcgis that corresponded to a duplicate named image that had previously been imported all took on the lat/long data from the previous duplicate images. They are imported into the GIS map in the exact locations of the other images and the Exif data for lat/long matches the previously imported images lat/long data.

Sorry .. but your story is too complicated to follow.
I can't see that you've said anything to indicate that there is actually a problem with the Exif info in images from the drone.
It seems that your issue might be a result of you manipulating image file data.
If that's the case, it's something for you to sort out with the way you are handling the images, and your tread title is misleading.

I've never seen or heard of a case where the GPS location data in DJI drone images was incorrect and your story doesn't do anything to change that.
2020-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules