Crash DJI Phantom 3 advanced
1845 11 2015-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hoekstra-thomas
New

Belgium

Hello everybody,

I am new and also a beginner with the DJI P3A. I received it yesterday and updated the firmware. Also calibration etc. I have the Pilot app on my Samsung S6.
Well, the first flights were all good. Nothing happened. Untill this evening. I flew on an other location (only 400 meters from the old location) and did not calibrate. (I thought to do that once is enough). So, I am there and started the engine. He went up to 15 FT and then he flew full speed in a straight line to a small tree, smashed it, smashed the concret floor also. I run to the drone and grabbed it, and pulled out the battery. I am lucky only the propellors are broken and my fingers were bleeding. On the screen there was this message: Warning sign: 'Ultrasonic systems error'. Anyone familiar with this?

2015-6-26
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Did you have VPS turned on or off?
2015-6-26
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Sorry to hear this.   I hope the Phantom is ok and your fingers.  Ouch.
Will be following this thread to see the answers.
2015-6-26
Use props
lexluther
lvl.2

Canada

I have grounded my drone until they fix the problem. I had a flight go out of control last weekend but was able to gain back control before it crashed into the sea. I'm not sure why there is not a warning to customers?
2015-6-26
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-26
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The compass only has one purpose, it is to identify North.
So compass calibration is not necessary every preflight set up.
I know you may think it's important, and it is.
But if you are flying within a hundred miles from last location, you should be fine.

I was at a friends house last night, and let him fly my Phantom, with just some minor stick moves, you know forward back forwards, up down, left right.
Probably have created a new RC pilot. After I was packing it to box up, realized I never did a compass cal'.  It flew fine, no irregular activity was reported.  Phew...
Usually I like doing the drone dance, but in my haste, totally forgot that last step. Nothing went awry, thankfully.

RedHotPoker
2015-6-26
Use props
lexluther
lvl.2

Canada

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-27 08:27
Did you tried to regain control? People should learn to pilot a quadcopter without aids first before ...

After lifting off the ground you loose all control of the drone, it took roughly around 1 min before I did gain back control.  So there is no way it's due to pilot error.
2015-6-26
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-27 08:37
The compass only has one purpose, it is to identify North.
So compass calibration is not necessary e ...

I take off and let it hoover for around 10 seconds , If it keeps position , I fly . If I have height or right to left movement , I land and re-calibrate the compass . This has never failed me yet ..
2015-6-26
Use props
lexluther
lvl.2

Canada

I loose control as soon as it lifts off.

2015-6-26
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

lexluther Posted at 2015-6-27 09:46
I loose control as soon as it lifts off.
drone

Did you do a FULL IMU calibration? (Follow the directions closely). It is best to do it when the Phantom is cool (put in cold place first - I actually put it in the fridge, but I dare not suggest that too much - putting in a cold room or a chilled AC'ed car for a bit might do the trick).

The horizon is not straight which is a good sign that it did not have a full IMU calibration done. That should be done before flying the first time. And once in a while - probably especially if moving it around a lot (like taking it to another part of the country to fly).

Good luck.
2015-6-26
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't see how IMU calibration (or not) can result in it speeding off.
During the startup it checks the calibration figures are within bounds and will flash a message or even stop you setting off if it's way out anyway.

It looks more like some external factor over-riding the control if anything.
Or some kind of fault obviously.
There are a trickle of these incidents where it suddenly seems to almost ignore all commands.
It's unlikely to be user error, because nothing you can do would make that happen.

The only things you're supposed to do from time to time is calibrate compass and IMU and the craft tells you if they MUST be done anyway.
2015-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules