DJI Fly App not running on a 2019 phone?
1074 17 2020-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Byteshark
lvl.1

Germany

I just bought the DJI mini 2 and was happily prepping things when I could not find the DJI Fly app. After digging and searching I found that aparently the app does not work on Android 10, can anyone confirm this?
It also seems that the only connections offered between controller and phone are an Apple jack or USB C which my phone does not have.
Edit 2: There actually was a USB C->Micro cable stuck in one package that I did not see, so this problem is solved.
Are there any workarounds or do I have a $600 paperweight now since just about every function requires the DJI fly app?

Fun fact: none of the videos I checked beforehand bothered to mention this.

Edit:
Phone is a Samsung A10, 2019 edition (SM-A105FN)
OS is Android 10 4.4.177

2020-11-7
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The Samsung A10, 2019 does not appear to be on the compatible device list for the DJI Fly app.  The DJI Fly app is not compatible with Android 10 according to others on the internet.  
You should to try updating your phone to the newest Android OS.  That may resolve the issue.
2020-11-7
Use props
Byteshark
lvl.1

Germany

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-7 09:25
The Samsung A10, 2019 does not appear to be on the compatible device list for the DJI Fly app.  The DJI Fly app is not compatible with Android 10 according to others on the internet.  
You should to try updating your phone to the newest Android OS.  That may resolve the issue.

Samsung doesn't deem me worthy of Android 11 though. And frankly, this was released in September, just a few weeks ago. To make an app depending on such a new software sounds really callous.
I am not really fond of the idea of having to mess around with my phone to get an external piece of hardware to do what I paid it for.
2020-11-7
Use props
ilou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181998 ft
Germany

Hey,

your phone (Samsung A10, SM-A105FN) is running on 32bit-Android, but DJI Fly App requires 64bit Android. So I'm sorry to tell you, that you won't launch your new Mini 2 with your current phone in order to the missing required 64-bit structure.

Greetings
ilou
2020-11-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"The DJI Fly app is not compatible with Android 10 according to others on the internet.  "

Maybe not for some, but my unapproved Samsung SM-T290 tablet has Android 10 and it does work for the Mini. I don't use it for the Mini 2 and don't know about that one.
2020-11-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Byteshark Posted at 11-7 14:20
Samsung doesn't deem me worthy of Android 11 though. And frankly, this was released in September, just a few weeks ago. To make an app depending on such a new software sounds really callous.
I am not really fond of the idea of having to mess around with my phone to get an external piece of hardware to do what I paid it for.

You should have read the requirements for the drone device first. I did and knew that my phone would not be compatible. I bought a used 5-year old Samsung S6 for $65 on eBay and it works fine.
2020-11-7
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Android 10 does work, My Samsung galaxy S10e works fine but it also is 64 bit OS which is the key factor!
2020-11-7
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Definitely the 64 bit OS architecture is a key factor.  
2020-11-7
Use props
Byteshark
lvl.1

Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 11-7 15:13
You should have read the requirements for the drone device first. I did and knew that my phone would not be compatible. I bought a used 5-year old Samsung S6 for $65 on eBay and it works fine.

Sadly it does not mention this on the packaging (EU version), and none of the videos I've watched mentioned this even with a short hint.
2020-11-8
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

The Samsung A10, 2019 does not appear to be on the compatible device list for the DJI Fly app.  The DJI Fly app is not compatible with Android 10 according to others on the internet.  

DJI basically can't test all devices for compatibility with its software, so a priori there will be devices compatible with DJI Fly that won't be in the list of compatible devices!
2020-11-8
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

Once again, I repeat, although I asked the forum to fix the topic on device compatibility, but as they say....

DJI Fly requires a device with a 64-bit operating system.

Take the brand of your device enter here

And we see that Samsung SM-a105fn ARM ARMv8 1352 MHz (8 cores) Android 32-bit

And Yes, Samsung sells its outdated and shabby hardware under the guise of modern, especially their own processors!

2020-11-8
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

Byteshark Posted at 11-8 00:27
Sadly it does not mention this on the packaging (EU version), and none of the videos I've watched mentioned this even with a short hint.

DJI does not write anywhere about the need for a 64-bit operating system, but on the Mavic Mini forum at the beginning of this year, on many pages, we already found out. And everyone agrees that DJI behaves not competently without warning about the compatibility of its poor DJI Fly!

Read reviews of DJI Fly in the app store!
2020-11-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Byteshark Posted at 11-8 00:27

Not exactly perhaps but there are two bar codes on the box that link you to the websites where you can see the requirements for iOS and Android.
2020-11-8
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Alevpi Posted at 11-8 00:52
Once again, I repeat, although I asked the forum to fix the topic on device compatibility, but as they say....

DJI Fly requires a device with a 64-bit operating system.

Hi Alevpi thanks for the link, everyone should have the link bookmarked, then it will save alot of tears.
2020-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Byteshark. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. The mobile device for the DJI Fly application needs to be 64-bit, otherwise DJI Fly application is not compatible with your Android mobile device. In addition to this I will post a DJI Forum thread on DJI Fly App Android compatibility : A comprehensive guide ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-202136-1-1.html ). Thank you.
2020-11-8
Use props
Byteshark
lvl.1

Germany

Alevpi Posted at 11-8 00:55
DJI does not write anywhere about the need for a 64-bit operating system, but on the Mavic Mini forum at the beginning of this year, on many pages, we already found out. And everyone agrees that DJI behaves not competently without warning about the compatibility of its poor DJI Fly!

Read reviews of DJI Fly in the app store!

> Read reviews of DJI Fly in the app store!

Wish I could, but Google does not even show me the app :|

But I admit, it did not even occur to me that a rather up-to-date phone would not be able to run an app for such a popular device. And even after I know it it's actually rather difficult to find out what the various phones support - millions of pixels and a plethora of cameras, sure, but you have to dig really deep to find out the architecture.
2020-11-9
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-8 21:42
Hello there Byteshark. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. The mobile device for the DJI Fly application needs to be 64-bit, otherwise DJI Fly application is not compatible with your Android mobile device. In addition to this I will post a DJI Forum thread on DJI Fly App Android compatibility : A comprehensive guide ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-202136-1-1.html ). Thank you.

Mobile device, what is this abbreviation?
Mobile device = the processor can be 64-bit, but it can run Android 32-bit, and so many in this bundle did not work DJI Fly!
Therefore, the key indicator is Android 64-bit, and in order not to find out the bit depth of the operating system, it is easier to take devices with more than 4 Gigabytes of RAM.
2020-11-9
Use props
gervais K
lvl.2
Germany

Well, the Geekbench 4 link, doesn´t even find the Sharp Aquos D10  (SnapDragon 630, 4 Gigabytes RAM, Android 8 ). Meanwhile rather a bargain, which works very well with the Fly App. Comes with a bright screen btw.
My conclusion is, don´t trust any links or listings, you´ll have to try.
2020-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules