Does Mini 2 Phone need to be in Airplane Mode?
11903 21 2020-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Does Mini 2 Phone need to be in Airplane Mode? Does it affect range, connection, etc. or does Occusync negate the need? I flew 3/4 of a mile in suburban area without setting airplane mode. Just wondered if it is just safer, or would increase distance before breakup. Thanks!
2020-11-7
Use props
XXXXDronerXXXXX
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

1000% yes. always fly in airplane mode.
2020-11-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I usually use a tablet with wifi only but when I do use my phone, I never set it to airplane mode. Nor the tablet. That is for all drones that I have. Maybe I have just been lucky.
2020-11-7
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have never used Airplane mode on my phone while flying.  I have taken the Mavic Air 2 out to 4.5 miles over the ocean and 3 miles down a rail road line near a power lines in an area with fairly dense WiFi and never had an issue.  The Mini 2 and Air 2 both have the same controller and user Occusync 2.0.  

Some people use Airplane mode to avoid distractions while flying.  Do Not Disturb mode or the equivalent will achieve this.  It is understandable that pilots should not be distracted while flying but the maps unless you pre cache them will not have road and terrain details without an internet connection.

Signal wise the having the WiFi from your phone will give no noticeable increase in distance or signal stability.
As there is no actual science pertaining to signal impedance while the phone is searching for avaiable WiFi or connected to WiFi why limit your ability to see in realtime where you are.  Especially, if you change you bearing mid-flight.  The Map is an incredibly useful feature that can be of great assistance.  
2020-11-7
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-7 21:41
I have never used Airplane mode on my phone while flying.  I have taken the Mavic Air 2 out to 4.5 miles over the ocean and 3 miles down a rail road line near a power lines in an area with fairly dense WiFi and never had an issue.  The Mini 2 and Air 2 both have the same controller and user Occusync 2.0.  

Some people use Airplane mode to avoid distractions while flying.  Do Not Disturb mode or the equivalent will achieve this.  It is understandable that pilots should not be distracted while flying but the maps unless you pre cache them will not have road and terrain details without an internet connection.

If you had a mini 1 you would know it was almost regular practice to enable airplane mode, on DJI's wifi drones it would noticeably increase range.

So OP was asking if the phone interferes with the Ocusync signal, like it can with the mini 1's wifi controller.
2020-11-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-8 01:45
If you had a mini 1 you would know it was almost regular practice to enable airplane mode, on DJI's wifi drones it would noticeably increase range.

So OP was asking if the phone interferes with the Ocusync signal, like it can with the mini 1's wifi controller.

There is no perceivable interference if the phone has the WiFi with Occusync 2.0.
2020-11-8
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-8 08:09
There is no perceivable interference if the phone has the WiFi with Occusync 2.0.

Which is what Op was asking, for reference the mini 1 uses 5.8ghz WiF to the drone. If your phone had WiFi it could cause interference between the controller and the drone, unlike Occusync which is on a different band from the WiFi of the phone.

So like you said, it won't cause any issues.
2020-11-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Does it have to NO, will it help, “many say Yes” dji recommends for use with WiFi drone, mini2 is Ocysync, for me put it in WiFi I don’t want calls while I’m flying..
2020-11-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

From your disclaimer manual
2020-11-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I ALWAYS leave cellular on and switch my map to satellite view during flight. Never had an issue with signal interference in the fair few miles I've flown over the years with 13 different drones but I do leave WiFI and Bluetooth turned off and close down all apps in the background when flying. The only advantage to airplane mode is to stop incoming calls/texts during flight but I find do not disturb covers that.
2020-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there videoeditman. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Putting the mobile phone in Airplane mode while flying would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. In addition, it is not necessary to put your device in Airplane mode but please make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.
2020-11-8
Use props
Huginn Keningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Till now I was flying with WiFi and BT disconnected but 4G connected. Wifi signal interferes with the drone, you can notice it even in short distances (at least in CE mode). I was using 4G mostly to get the data for satellite map, but I realized that any incoming call or message in a bad moment can make you lose your drone, so from now on, airplane mode only. Also, not having the 4G antenna connected will reduce the interference.

You can cache the maps before the flight, just enter the map in Dji Fly (no need to turn on the drone), zoom in the area you want to fly and then it'll be stored i the cache, so when you turn airplane mode on you'll still have the map downloaded.
2020-11-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-8 21:53
Hello there videoeditman. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Putting the mobile phone in Airplane mode while flying would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. In addition, it is not necessary to put your device in Airplane mode but please make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.

This is why I use a separate Iphone 6s plus which is not my main phone on most of my drones.

Also stops your phone from filling up with videos.

The concept of one phone does all is not a good idea in my view
2020-11-26
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Huginn Keningar Posted at 2020-11-26 16:02
Till now I was flying with WiFi and BT disconnected but 4G connected. Wifi signal interferes with the drone, you can notice it even in short distances (at least in CE mode). I was using 4G mostly to get the data for satellite map, but I realized that any incoming call or message in a bad moment can make you lose your drone, so from now on, airplane mode only. Also, not having the 4G antenna connected will reduce the interference.

You can cache the maps before the flight, just enter the map in Dji Fly (no need to turn on the drone), zoom in the area you want to fly and then it'll be stored i the cache, so when you turn airplane mode on you'll still have the map downloaded.

Hello Huginn Keningar!
Did you experienced that aircraft lost connection with RC when your phone had wi-fi connected, at short distance from 4 to 40 meters and at 1 meter to 15 meters high?
Thank you.
2021-1-31
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Cients Posted at 1-31 14:40
Hello Huginn Keningar!
Did you experienced that aircraft lost connection with RC when your phone had wi-fi connected, at short distance from 4 to 40 meters and at 1 meter to 15 meters high?
Thank you.

When flying with wifi on, I experience stutter and lag in the video signal, even at short range.

Sometimes I forget to activate airplane mode (when I check for updates before flying) and the video signal stutter is quite noticeable. Then I engage airplane mode and smooth again.
2021-1-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have never put my bluetooth off or into airplane mode, wifi is on (ofcourse not connected out in the open) and cellular on.  

Mini2 and MA2 does fly without any problem.

Perhaps i get more range if all off....but flying in VLOS = all oke how i do it  ;-)

cheers
JJB
2021-2-1
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

I can tell you from my experience that my Mini 2, flying with a Samsung S8+, not in Airplane mode, has the following behavior:
At 1.5 meters high and 4 meters away from the RC the aircraft disconnects, loses the data link, and starts an RTH.

If I put the phone in Airplane mode, there is no disconnection problem at all.
Don't know the answer how it does affect the range of the Mini 2 because usually don't perform long flights, for safety reasons.

Wish safe flights!
2021-2-1
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2020-11-7 19:50
I usually use a tablet with wifi only but when I do use my phone, I never set it to airplane mode. Nor the tablet. That is for all drones that I have. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I’ve actually never set mine to airplane mode either ..Guess I’m lucky as well
2021-2-12
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I don't usually turn on airplane mode, and I've even had a conversation a few times while flying further than the VLOS. I didn't notice any problems until I was at the limit of GSM coverage. The phone was trying to find the signal and I was losing connection with the drone. Please do not necessarily follow my example.
2021-2-12
Use props
djiuser_YVHTMUZQPic5
lvl.1
New Zealand

Cients Posted at 2021-2-1 14:49
I can tell you from my experience that my Mini 2, flying with a Samsung S8+, not in Airplane mode, has the following behavior:
At 1.5 meters high and 4 meters away from the RC the aircraft disconnects, loses the data link, and starts an RTH.

Hi guys got mini 2 i just fly with bluetooth and gps been wondering about aircraft mode should i fly with bluetooth or aircraft mode,when connected to mini 2 app just says turn on blutooth and gps then wait till have 4+ satelites ,then see if allowed to takeoff
2022-4-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_YVHTMUZQPic5 Posted at 4-23 16:19
Hi guys got mini 2 i just fly with bluetooth and gps been wondering about aircraft mode should i fly with bluetooth or aircraft mode,when connected to mini 2 app just says turn on blutooth and gps then wait till have 4+ satelites ,then see if allowed to takeoff

Bluetooth and wifi on the phone makes no difference whether on or off.

then wait till have 4+ satelites ,then see if allowed to takeoff

Don't wait for 4+ sats .. you need more than that.
There is no magic number.
Wait until the drone has recorded a homepoint.

2022-4-23
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131942 ft
United States

Huginn Keningar Posted at 2020-11-26 16:02
Till now I was flying with WiFi and BT disconnected but 4G connected. Wifi signal interferes with the drone, you can notice it even in short distances (at least in CE mode). I was using 4G mostly to get the data for satellite map, but I realized that any incoming call or message in a bad moment can make you lose your drone, so from now on, airplane mode only. Also, not having the 4G antenna connected will reduce the interference.

You can cache the maps before the flight, just enter the map in Dji Fly (no need to turn on the drone), zoom in the area you want to fly and then it'll be stored i the cache, so when you turn airplane mode on you'll still have the map downloaded.
Question for you.. how do you enter in dji.fly and go to the maps without turning on the Drone? It will not let me get into any sort of settings like that unless the Drone is on. So I'm just wondering how you do it.  Thank you!

Edit.. the only way I'm able to enter maps without the Drone being on is if I click find my drone. Then it brings up a map where I can scroll around. Not sure if this is what you're doing.
2022-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules