Strange Yaw - Bank Mix
2634 17 2020-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

Hi forum members. Two days ago I bought a new Mavic Air 2 as smaller version of my Mavic Pro2. I updated all the items and went flying. I noticed one pretty annoying thing in the attitude of the drone during yew inputs while flying forward. Surprisingly the yaw is being mixed with the banking. It flies just like you push your ailron stick allong with pitch and yaw. This is very unnatural and if you ask me - unwanted. DJI, why would you do that? Can I switch this mix off?
Am I the only one who doesnt like it this way?
CHeers,
tomekyo

2020-11-8
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have never experienced this Yaw - Bank commingling.  I have had the Mavic Air 2 for a couple of months and have flow around 550 km.  There have been some problems related to updates of both the DJI Fly app and Controller firmware.

There are two things that have been problematic with the Mavic Air 2.  

DJI Fly app version 1.2.0 - the update caused video connectivity to become unstable, lag and freeze.  In addition the stick commands were not accurate and caused the Mavic Air 2 to respond errantly to the commands.  - Fix: As per DJI Support delete the DJI Fly app and reinstall it.  This resolved the problem for me.

Remote Control firmware -
11/5 update - added support for Mini 2
11/7 update fixed problems with the firmware released on 11/5

Gives these a try.
2020-11-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed this also today, but to be honest I don't remember if is something new. I assumed it was always like that. I like it a lot. It makes for quicker and more precise turns. I am hoping it stays this way if it was a change. My new Mini 2 has nothing like it and flys sideways in the turns way to much for my comfort.

I should mention that I had the setting for FPV mode and turned that off while in flight. So that mixing may be an artifact that goes away later.

2020-11-8
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

In the settings you can toggle between FPV and fixed horizon mode. Maybe it is worth check.
2020-11-9
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

MySky Posted at 11-9 08:23
In the settings you can toggle between FPV and fixed horizon mode. Maybe it is worth check.

Those setting are only for the gimbal. If you switch the FPV mode on, the gimbal will bank along with the craft.
2020-11-9
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 11-8 20:51
I noticed this also today, but to be honest I don't remember if is something new. I assumed it was always like that. I like it a lot. It makes for quicker and more precise turns. I am hoping it stays this way if it was a change. My new Mini 2 has nothing like it and flys sideways in the turns way to much for my comfort.

I should mention that I had the setting for FPV mode and turned that off while in flight. So that mixing may be an artifact that goes away later.

if you have flown anything else than a Mavic Air 2 you know - this is NOT the way the controls of an aircraft should work. Mixing of the different controls is in most cases a personal preference and should be left for those who want it if you ask me. FOr the folk, with RC  background is this obvious. SO I am very curious if this is intended or just a glitch in the firmware?
2020-11-9
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

tomekyo Posted at 11-9 10:02
if you have flown anything else than a Mavic Air 2 you know - this is NOT the way the controls of an aircraft should work. Mixing of the different controls is in most cases a personal preference and should be left for those who want it if you ask me. FOr the folk, with RC  background is this obvious. SO I am very curious if this is intended or just a glitch in the firmware?

Without knowing how much your bird is banking, i think this is normal with the current high integrated drones and improves flying a smoother and tighter curve.
In the earlier times ( 2009-2011) as we have build and programmed our drones ourselves, we had to do this behavior by manual stick inputs. Other wise, without the banking, the drone will drift a lot while staying leveled horizontally and dependent on the speed of the drone. This is simple drone flight physics.
In the earlier times you really needed to learn to fly a drone without all these support functions like auto hight control, GPS, auto banking in curves, .....
I really like to fly like on tracks, so i can focus more on filming and taking pictures, than keeping the bird in the air.

2020-11-9
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

MySky Posted at 11-9 11:08
Without knowing how much your bird is banking, i think this is normal with the current high integrated drones and improves flying a smoother and tighter curve.
In the earlier times ( 2009-2011) as we have build and programmed our drones ourselves, we had to do this behavior by manual stick inputs. Other wise, without the banking, the drone will drift a lot while staying leveled horizontally and dependent on the speed of the drone. This is simple drone flight physics.
In the earlier times you really needed to learn to fly a drone whithout all these support functions like auto hight control, GPS, auto banking in curves, .....

I fully understand your point but for me this option is really confusing. I had Mavic Pro, now have Mavic Pro 2 and also the original phantom and none mixes airon to yaw inputs. It makes the drone react valiantly in certain situations and it is like nothing else what is out there. It is not a very big deal but find it very strange. DJI just give me an option to opt out of it please.
2020-11-9
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

I completly agree and understand your point. What i miss is the possibility to fly headless to keep the drone in one direction, while yaw manually for bypassing an object.
But even without this function, i can fly this maneuver manually with the MA2.
It is just a matter of getting familiar with the new behavier and what you prefere.
2020-11-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nevermind....... not worth the effort
2020-11-9
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 11-9 12:02
nevermind....... not worth the effort

what you mention has nothing to do with the mix I am complaining about. I tis just the so called dual rates, which are setup for an average pilot. If you know what you're doing you don't need the yaw-roll coupling.
2020-11-9
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

@wamuBugMe
With my old drones i was able to deactivate GPS or compas heading so that i could push the drone in one direction and meanwhile rotating it round its own vertical axis.
With the MA2 you need to have a certin speed to get it fluent.  If you are flying forward or backward, you need to move the right stick from pitch forward via roll to pitch backward and in parallel yaw to the oposite side.

The guy in the video did explain it quit well, but it takes a little experience to get the right speed coordinated with the right stick inputs to get it fluent.

2020-11-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tomekyo Posted at 11-9 12:07
what you mention has nothing to do with the mix I am complaining about. I tis just the so called dual rates, which are setup for an average pilot. If you know what you're doing you don't need the yaw-roll coupling.

" If you know what you're doing you don't need the yaw-roll coupling. "

That's an arrogant comment. Not really appreciated here. You try to have a nice day anyway.... off.
2020-11-9
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

tomekyo Posted at 11-9 12:07

If you are an experienced pilot this is no issue, but also think about the lot of people which are just out of the box pilots without any training, any insurance and not caring about restricted air zones, just to get the next power shot for their youtube channel.
Just take the case if an unexperienced pilot without knowing to roll while doing yaw and pitch and the drone starts to drift extremly in one  direction.

I have seen such people a lot in the past years and this is why the drone rules have been tightened more and more.

But i fully agree with you that some flight support functions should be chooseable.

And over all, you will get familiar with new behavior.
2020-11-9
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 11-9 12:34

That's an arrogant comment. Not really appreciated here. You try to have a nice day anyway.... off.

He is a little right, because nowadays most people are neither willing to learn nor to read a manual
completely. They just want to have fun and action. You can read this every day here in several posts.
2020-11-9
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 11-9 12:34

sorry my expression doesn't suit the perfect politically correct picture of people weighing every word trying not to step on ones toe. I did not mean you but apparently you feel offended. I am afraid you will have to live with it then ... I will ..
2020-11-9
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

This has been in Matrice and Inspire for a long time. Makes for tighter more natural turns. Will probably add to battery life as well. Would be nice if you had a choice though.  

2020-11-10
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

As already stated above, it depends from where you are coming from and what you more comfortable with.

Here a short video from my 10 year old MK Quadcopter (with a servo gimbal) and what will happen if you are over motivated and do not respect
flight physics. You can see how much we had to bank manually to fly tight curves.
And lessons learned: wind + centrifugal force = bad combination !

2020-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules