DJI Fly app crashed during flight
4139 12 2020-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Loopdreams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9806 ft

United Kingdom

Just had a moment with my Mini 2. Was happily flying around over an empty field and decided to stop the video and take a photo. But the moment I pressed the shoulder button on the controller to stop the video the app crashed to a black screen. It resumed by itself a few seconds later, briefly showing connect aircraft then a few moments later reconnected, the video came back and all was well again. Fortunately I wasn't far out and just over some plant machinery working on an empty golf course but it's somewhat disconcerting. Is there any way to diagnose the cause of this? Also, am I correct in assumming that the controller can still fly the aircraft regardless of what the phone does? So if I'd held the RTH button it would have done its thing?

My phone is a Pixel 4A btw.
2020-11-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

To answer your last question, yes you can still RTH without the phone connected.
You can still fly as normal, but not recommended if you do not know where you drone is.
I think your phone could be the problem here, I had the same problem in the beginning when I used an old borrowed Samsung phone before I bought my Huawei P30 Lite.

2020-11-9
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Put your phone in airplane mode well flying, this will disable phone calls, text messages from causing issues!
2020-11-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Loopdreams. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try using a different recommended mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? After checking the said mobile device ( Pixel 4A ) that you are using on your DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application.  I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and for the application. There is a possibility that the Pixel 4A  will be able to work on the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mini.  For reference, I will post a link ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ) where in you can find the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mini 2 and for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

2020-11-9
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-9 19:58
Hello there Loopdreams. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try using a different recommended mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? After checking the said mobile device ( Pixel 4A ) that you are using on your DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application.  I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and for the application. There is a possibility that the Pixel 4A  will be able to work on the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mini.  For reference, I will post a link ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ) where in you can find the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mini 2 and for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

[view_image]

Update your Fly app!
2020-11-9
Use props
Loopdreams
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-9 19:58

[view_image]

Thanks. Can I suggest that you feaure this information more prominently during the order process and advise customers who plan to use one of the phones not on your fairly small list to definitely not purchase any of your drones that use the DJI Fly app.

Also do you have any plans to test it with more devices or to look at debug data to see why it's flaky on a new and popular phone?
2020-11-9
Use props
Loopdreams
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Loopdreams Posted at 11-9 22:32
Thanks. Can I suggest that you feaure this information more prominently during the order process and advise customers who plan to use one of the phones on your fairly small list to definitely not purchase any of your drones that use the DJI Fly app.

Also do you have any plans to test it with more devices or to look at debug data to see why it's flaky on a new and popular phone?

Also I had gone as far as installing the app before purchasing the Mini 2. The app was listed as compatible with my device on the Google Play Store. This compatibility check is managed by app devs. So why isn't it?
2020-11-9
Use props
fansdd190fdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 858993 ft
United Kingdom

I have this exact issue but no reply on my thread yet. Im running latest firmware and app version on a samsung galaxy note 9 latest firmware
2020-11-12
Use props
djiuser_dghiv5m9J5lY
New

Bulgaria

I have the same problem with the DJI Fly app with my Samsung galaxy Note 8.
2020-11-16
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

I believe the Samsung galaxy notes are supported, as I have a galaxy s10e. I had one app crash months ago with MM1. Try putting device in airplane mode before flight. This should eliminate apps, calls, texts, etc from causing the app to crash. Some apps want to open in front of your Fly App.
2020-11-16
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

I believe the Samsung galaxy notes are supported, as I have a galaxy s10e. I had one app crash months ago with MM1. Try putting device in airplane mode before flight. This should eliminate apps, calls, texts, etc from causing the app to crash. Some apps want to open in front of your Fly App.
2020-11-16
Use props
Rob Wahl
New

South Africa

Same: DJI Fly app crashes on Pixel 4a, flying Mavic Mini 2, between 50 to 70 seconds - but, still flyable during app crash.
Another pain is multiple landings and take-offs register on DJI sync, messing with online flight logs like dronelogbook.com... Pixel 4a's O.S. seems to have little bloatware and stable enough to run the app properly...

Edit: Updating the app from dji.com directly at https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly. might help.
2021-4-5
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Try deactivating the option to transfer HD photos to the phone, when you change from video to photos and then take a photo it usually crashes and deactivating the option makes it less common.

On the other hand RC signal is independent from video signal, so you can lose video but still fly the drone.
2021-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules