Possible fix for shaky/jittery footage
1707 5 2020-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
traxxas25
lvl.1
Israel

I see alot of people seem to be having issues with shaky or jittery footage so hopefuly this helps.

I'm using a BMPCC 6k on my Ronin S. Its perfectly balanced, auto tuned, etc. I did a system calibration - the whole nine yards. I should also mention I'm not a new comer to the Ronin, Ive had it for quite sometime but it was in storage for awhile - so there were quite a few firmware updates to catch up on.

I noticed the jitters on my 60fps off speed footage, when I switched to 24fps the footage was basicaly unusable.

The first thing I did in the Motor Parameters section was add about 10 "points" to each axis for stiffness - that made it better but not perfect. What REALLY seemed to "fix" the issue was decreasing the Filter settings (defaulted at 45) by 20 points each. I also added 20 or so points to each axis on the Control tab for good measure.

The footage looks MUCH better, almost night and day.

I'm wondering what the devs think about this? I saw that it's recommended in the manual to decrease the Filter settings to reduce high frequency vibration so thats what I did, and it seems to have worked. So maybe the default settings in the app are too high?
2020-11-9
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, thanks for sharing your experiences regarding to the shaky footage.
If the product doesn’t shake when staying still, but it shakes during recording while the you are walking, we will suggest you to adjust the settings regarding to which axis that is vibrating. You can open the Ronin app, select the User profile-increase the Deadband. Also adjusting the stiffness will help to decrease the shaky during the shooting.

We will forward your attempting on this case to our development team for the reference.

Thanks again for your sharing, we will be in touch.

2020-11-10
Use props
traxxas25
lvl.1
Israel

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-10 01:02
Hello there, thanks for sharing your experiences regarding to the shaky footage.
If the product doesn’t shake when staying still, but it shakes during recording while the you are walking, we will suggest you to adjust the settings regarding to which axis that is vibrating. You can open the Ronin app, select the User profile-increase the Deadband. Also adjusting the stiffness will help to decrease the shaky during the shooting.

I don't believe this is a deadband issue - I'm using the user profile presets you guys put on the device. These jitters and shakes aren't felt in the Ronin itself but visible in the footage later. They are minor and quick, almost like the motor is quickly trying to correct itself. They were mostly visible on the roll and tilt axis (the two axis's that had a high Filter setting by default)

Hopefuly this issue can be resolved. Ive seen plenty of others posting about this issue as well.

2020-11-10
Use props
RickyBat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 317116 ft
United States

i just started noticing the jitters also i have done everything to the gimbal you can think of but they are there. i am sure everyone cant be having problems with the same issue and it not be a firmware issue.
2020-11-10
Use props
traxxas25
lvl.1
Israel

RickyBat Posted at 11-10 11:22
i just started noticing the jitters also i have done everything to the gimbal you can think of but they are there. i am sure everyone cant be having problems with the same issue and it not be a firmware issue.

I really hope someone at DJI is looking into fixing this soon. Lowering the Filter setting does seem to have some improvement but it seems like the gimbal isnt doing what its supposed to do.

Ive used this gimbal in the past with heavier cameras and never had an issue like this
2020-11-10
Use props
traxxas25
lvl.1
Israel

traxxas25 Posted at 11-10 12:31
I really hope someone at DJI is looking into fixing this soon. Lowering the Filter setting does seem to have some improvement but it seems like the gimbal isnt doing what its supposed to do.

Ive used this gimbal in the past with heavier cameras and never had an issue like this

Another update:

It seems the default sensitivity parameters for the user profiles set themselves to 0 when you choose the Low preset. I increased them each to 20 (except roll) and have noticed improvement.
2020-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules