Controller Wheel vs Manual Pan
1598 13 2020-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

Relative newbie here. I'm try to understand the value of using the Controller Wheel (or new controller for the Pocket 2) vs. just doing a manual pan when using the OP handheld. What does a controller do better than just moving the handheld device?
2020-11-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

For me, the wheel works well for vertical adjustments, especially when tilt locked. I still manually pan horizontally.

I fiddled with the new controller. Although it allows both horizontal and vertical panning, it doesn't work diagonally.
2020-11-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

duplicate........
2020-11-11
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Curt1591 Posted at 11-11 16:20
For me, the wheel works well for vertical adjustments. I still manually pan horizontally, especially when tilt locked.

I fiddled with the new controller. Although it allows both horizontal and vertical panning, it doesn't work diagonally.

Thanks for the reply. I find that in Follow mode, vertical pan works well and to me seems more natural than what might be achieved with with a thumbwheel or other controller. I've seen others describe the controller as a "must have" accessory and am trying to understand what I'm missing.
2020-11-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DaveSp Posted at 11-11 16:41
Thanks for the reply. I find that in Follow mode, vertical pan works well and to me seems more natural than what might be achieved with with a thumbwheel or other controller. I've seen others describe the controller as a "must have" accessory and am trying to understand what I'm missing.

I think some people get more control with a physical control over a touch screen.
2020-11-11
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 11-11 16:56
I think some people get more control with a physical control over a touch screen.

I don't use the touch screen for panning in Follow mode, I just tilt the OP up or down.
2020-11-11
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Because it seems to add more stability, I use tilt lock a lot. The wheel will allow for quick adjustment when I need to change the horizon.
2020-11-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello DaveSp, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate your inquiry. The Control wheel or Mini Control Stick can be used in different ways. Let's see if what are the users can tell about it. Below are the settings or functions you can use the Mini Control Stick, reference is here https://www.dji.com/pocket-2/faq

I hope you find the information helpful and thank you for your support.

2020-11-12
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

DaveSp Posted at 11-11 16:41

Controller pans/tilts the camera exactly in its place, which is almost impossible to do by hand. When you pan/tilt by hand, the camera inevitably moves; and sometimes that is not what you want. I would not dare to say one is better than the other; it just depends on what you need.
2020-11-12
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

CemAygun Posted at 11-12 11:45
Controller pans/tilts the camera exactly in its place, which is almost impossible to do by hand. When you pan/tilt by hand, the camera inevitably moves; and sometimes that is not what you want. I would not dare to say one is better than the other; it just depends on what you need.

Thanks to you and all the other repliers. I can see cases as you mention where the wheel control would be useful; my (limited) use so far has yet to present me with such a case.

Side note - the on-screen tilt control toggle is not remembered between power cycles. If I toggle it off and cycle power it is back on. Expected behavior?
2020-11-12
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

DaveSp Posted at 11-12 12:00
Thanks to you and all the other repliers. I can see cases as you mention where the wheel control would be useful; my (limited) use so far has yet to present me with such a case.

Side note - the on-screen tilt control toggle is not remembered between power cycles. If I toggle it off and cycle power it is back on. Expected behavior?

You are welcome

When it comes to on screen tilt control; I don't have the pocket 2 (not available where I live yet and I don't want to buy it online due to warranty concerns) but I can tell you that this is a bug they managed to carry on from Pocket 1.  Pocket 1 also resets back to tilt control every time you turn the camera off...
2020-11-12
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

CemAygun Posted at 11-12 13:37
You are welcome  

When it comes to on screen tilt control; I don't have the pocket 2 (not available where I live yet and I don't want to buy it online due to warranty concerns) but I can tell you that this is a bug they managed to carry on from Pocket 1.  Pocket 1 also resets back to tilt control every time you turn the camera off...

Ah, yes - I have the Pocket 1. Then it is a "feature", as I might call it back in my s/w development days (I'm retired now).
2020-11-12
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

DaveSp Posted at 11-12 13:44
Ah, yes - I have the Pocket 1. Then it is a "feature", as I might call it back in my s/w development days (I'm retired now).

First of all sorry for the super late reply. I saw your post after a long work day and I said to myself I will respond first thing in the morning. That was 10 days ago; I just remembered now

That being said I almost fell from my chair laughing as it reminded me my "office" days. The development team would report bugs, and the marketing team would take notes so that they can work on claiming that they were "intentional" (or "insignificant" if that does not work)

Let's put it this way: DJI is well known for it's unique 'features", especially in it's new products
2020-11-21
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

CemAygun Posted at 11-21 15:46
First of all sorry for the super late reply. I saw your post after a long work day and I said to myself I will respond first thing in the morning. That was 10 days ago; I just remembered now

That being said I almost fell from my chair laughing as it reminded me my "office" days. The development team would report bugs, and the marketing team would take notes so that they can work on claiming that they were "intentional" (or "insignificant" if that does not work)

"... consider this as a suggestion and forward it our designated department for attention."

I've been in s/w & h/w for 49 years now (ouch!) and many things remain the same. I would represent our programs during customer-witnessed system test and would have to explain why things worked the way they did - "feature" was always a running joke which would degenerate into a requirements "discussion".
2020-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules