Mini 2 battery storage: Half or full charge
25635 38 2020-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

I was told to keep the Mini 1 battery half charged in storage.  Same for Mini 2 battery?  (I prefer to keep the battery fully charged so it's ready when I need it).
2020-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mini 2 battery will discharge automatically to as low as 72% after 5 days of inactivity. So if you want it to stay at 100%, you will have to leave it on the charger I guess.
2020-11-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Your strategy will not work, the battery will auto-discharge so it will not be safe to go flying with a battery you stored at full charge. The correct strategy is to fully charge just before you use the battery, then take it home and store it until next time.
2020-11-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 11-12 21:09
Your strategy will not work, the battery will auto-discharge so it will not be safe to go flying with a battery you stored at full charge. The correct strategy is to fully charge just before you use the battery, then take it home and store it until next time.

Not really. If it stays on the charger, it will stay at 100%. I have tested this myself and it does work. And I have done it this way for many months with the MA2.
2020-11-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello there Trader6777, I appreciate your inquiry and thank you for reaching us out. To maintain the Mini 2 batteries in good condition, before storage, it is recommended to charge the battery to approximately 72%. It is also recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.

If the battery level is below 72%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 72% before storing. If the battery level is above 72%, the battery will discharge automatically after 5 days to 72%.

The Mini 2 Intelligent Flight Battery has Auto-Discharging Function, this is to prevent swelling and the battery automatically discharges to approx. 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process.

I hope you find the information helpful. Thank you for your support.

2020-11-13
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99649 ft
United Kingdom

OK, I was putting mine back to about half charge, like I would with my RC aircraft LiPo batteries. Squinting at the label, I see they are Li Ion so half charge may well not be optimal. I shall defer to DJI and charge each one back up till 3 lights are lit.
2020-11-14
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mini 1 is OK it has LiOn Batteries. Mini 2 you will destroy batteries if you keep on the charger. It uses LiPo batteries.
2020-11-14
Use props
wpymes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7608 ft
Argentina

I think the intelligent way to manage charge would be to recharge batteries after use, to around 75% (3 lights in the charging module) before storage, And full charge them to 100% right before use.
2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I agree with bjr981s,. Let alone leaving LiPos on the charger, I would not even wait 5 days to drain them, especially if you can not store them in a cool place. The charging hub's "powerbank" feature comes very handy for that...

I personally had very bad experience with DJI batteries despite my best efforts (lost 3 Mavic Air batteries at less then 1/3rd of their expected life, probably due to ambient heat), so I would recommend being extra cautious.
2021-3-21
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

How did you lose it? Swollen or entered permanent blocking mode? Even such ones can still be recovered. I have four batteries and I can say that each has a different capacity and runtime, and they are used the same.
2021-3-21
Use props
chris
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Used the below for my old Mavic 2 Pro and have just ordered one for the Mini 2.

https://phantomangel.rocks

May not be for everyones budget but helps with battery storage/conditioning
2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 3-21 12:48
How did you lose it? Swollen or entered permanent blocking mode? Even such ones can still be recovered. I have four batteries and I can say that each has a different capacity and runtime, and they are used the same.

Swollen to the extent that the cases split open The oldest had 29 cycles or so on it. Funny enough I believe they would still work if you dare to put them in the drone.

I have seen people bleeding the gasses out of swollen LiPos but I would not risk anything like that with a drone battery. On top of that there was a gentleman at the Air forum that posted the video of a Mavic Air battery catching fire (he was trying to charge a bloated one) which fully convinced me not to ever touch them again

Now I drain the batteries every time I end up not using them. With the constant heat here, I believe putting an extra charge cycle is better than keeping them charged...

If anything happens to my Mini 2 batteries after all that care, I am definitely going Lion. I don't fly fast or in high winds. I can live with Mini 1 batteries in Mini 2...

2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

chris@chris.sx Posted at 3-21 14:29
Used the below for my old Mavic 2 Pro and have just ordered one for the Mini 2.

https://phantomangel.rocks

This looks quite nice. But unless it applies an advanced/intelligent discharge curve (probably it does) wouldn't using the batteries as a power bank provide the same effect?
2021-3-21
Use props
chris
lvl.2

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 3-21 15:31
This looks quite nice. But unless it applies an advanced/intelligent discharge curve (probably it does) wouldn't using the batteries as a power bank provide the same effect?

Absolutely the power bank method would work but i guess i wanted a quick way to automatically discharge to the correct level with no guesswork.
Maybe I'm slightly lazy in that respect but the phantom angel certainly does what it claims to do.
Also, i am in no way affiliated with this company but just love the product
2021-3-22
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

chris@chris.sx Posted at 3-22 02:18
Absolutely the power bank method would work but i guess i wanted a quick way to automatically discharge to the correct level with no guesswork.
Maybe I'm slightly lazy in that respect but the phantom angel certainly does what it claims to do.
Also, i am in no way affiliated with this company but just love the product

Yeah, with the powerbank method you always have to keep an eye on the discharge level, you cannot leave it by itself to do the work. Thanks for the link, I did not know those even existed for the drone batteries.
2021-3-22
Use props
Jackie-Gan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457477 ft
Mexico

bjr981s Posted at 2020-11-14 04:08
Mini 1 is OK it has LiOn Batteries. Mini 2 you will destroy batteries if you keep on the charger. It uses LiPo batteries.

I believe Mini 2 batteries are also Li-ion batteries
2021-3-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jackie-Gan Posted at 3-30 12:06
I believe Mini 2 batteries are also Li-ion batteries

No, they are LiPo
2021-3-30
Use props
Jackie-Gan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457477 ft
Mexico

GaryDoug Posted at 3-30 18:43
No, they are LiPo

Oh, I misread, it says on the battery that it is a lithium ion polymer.
2021-3-30
Use props
HighInBC
lvl.2
Philippines

I find the best way to discharge the battery is to just hover the craft for 10 minutes.
2021-4-10
Use props
Amoxitine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323586 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 2020-11-13 09:53
Hello there Trader6777, I appreciate your inquiry and thank you for reaching us out. To maintain the Mini 2 batteries in good condition, before storage, it is recommended to charge the battery to approximately 72%. It is also recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.

If the battery level is below 72%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 72% before storing. If the battery level is above 72%, the battery will discharge automatically after 5 days to 72%.

Hi DJI Paladin, can I just say that all three of the batteries I have for my Mini 2 do not auto discharge properly as stated in the manual when not plugged into the charger or Mini 2. If I leave the batteries alone for over 5 days they have only slightly discharged from 100% to 96% and not down to 72% as DJI have stated so I don’t think the auto discharge capability on some of these batteries is working correctly (especially with the growing number of reports I have seen about this on various social media platforms). I understand I can do this manually but it seems a shame that a function that is documented is not working for all Mini 2 owners
2021-4-12
Use props
djiuser_vn6bPVxXuvcN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 933179 ft
Spain

Thanks for the info guys! I'm new to this forum and a licensed drone pilot in Europe since December 2020. I got my DJI Mini 2 recently and loving it so far!
2021-4-17
Use props
Glen Vaughn
New

Philippines

Hello there Trader6777, I appreciate your inquiry and thank you for reaching us out. To maintain the Mini 2 batteries in good condition, before storage, it is recommended to charge the battery to approximately 72%. It is also recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.

Do the batteries auto discharge when in hub?  Some people state that they don't although assume it is only when the hub is plugged into an electrical source.
2021-4-24
Use props
Glen Vaughn
New

Philippines

Do the batteries auto discharge when in hub?  Some people state that they don't although assume it is only when the hub is plugged into an electrical source.
2021-4-24
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Glen Vaughn Posted at 4-24 02:20
Do the batteries auto discharge when in hub?  Some people state that they don't although assume it is only when the hub is plugged into an electrical source.

This guy knows his stuff, and I learnt something from watching him

2021-4-24
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

II recently upgraded the firmware in the Mini 2, and in the little notes about what features it upgrades, it had listed:  " If the battery is not to be used for a long time (what is a long time?)
only have it charged to  "  60% "  .  I know that I have read that the Mini 2 battery adjust on its own, so I am just going to let it do it's thing.
2021-4-25
Use props
panthere
lvl.3
Canada

Personally I manage my mini 2 batteries in the same way as my phantom 3 batteries, that is to say that  always keep them at 50% and charge them just before flying .
2021-4-26
Use props
djiuser_OTYvDZ7Aco36
lvl.1

United States

Hello there Trader6777, I appreciate your inquiry and thank you for reaching us out. To maintain the Mini 2 batteries in good condition, before storage, it is recommended to charge the battery to approximately 72%. It is also recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance.

Where is the 72% number coming from?

The manual states that for storage you are supposed to have it below 30%

Where does the 72% come from?
2021-5-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

djiuser_OTYvDZ7Aco36 Posted at 5-18 18:44
Where is the 72% number coming from?

The manual states that for storage you are supposed to have it below 30%

72% is the number the batteries are supposed to auto-discharge to after 5 days of unuse (page 21 of the english user manual; "intelligent flight battery"). That is where it is coming from....It does not work for many people (including myself) anyways. Even left outside, my batteries only do the first discharge (down to 96%) and stay that way forever. I discharge them manually using the hub.
2021-5-18
Use props
Issicus
lvl.2
United States

You know what would be really nice is a way to tell the charger to charge them to 72%
2021-8-2
Use props
AidanMac
New

Ireland

I've had 2 Mini 2 batteries in the charging hub for almost two weeks and they're still fully charged! The charger is not connected but I thought this problem was supposed to have been fixed with the latest firmware updates.
2021-8-2
Use props
Issicus
lvl.2
United States

AidanMac Posted at 8-2 23:56
I've had 2 Mini 2 batteries in the charging hub for almost two weeks and they're still fully charged! The charger is not connected but I thought this problem was supposed to have been fixed with the latest firmware updates.

I think that might be intentional. It's a way to keep the batteries at 100% if you need to for some reason.
2021-8-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Issicus Posted at 8-3 00:36
I think that might be intentional. It's a way to keep the batteries at 100% if you need to for some reason.

no chap, they should discharge to 95% after 1 day and to 72% after 10 days.

With my p4p batteries, I have always charged them to full after every session, stored them with a discharge time of 10 days, they drop to about 75%, if I haven't used them for a while I will charge them again and let them do their thing after 10 days.

I have lost 2 batteries, one went in the bin after a dunking and 1i dropped and it became faulty then 100% went turtle on me, so that too was binned. To date I still have the original battery and never lost one due to charge or storage, I'm in the 4th year now...
2021-8-3
Use props
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Hello, this is a bit confusing because I've read in the latest updated manual that it should be discharged down to 30% for storage, so which one is correct, 72 or 30%?
2021-9-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ranrick Posted at 9-26 19:34
Hello, this is a bit confusing because I've read in the latest updated manual that it should be discharged down to 30% for storage, so which one is correct, 72 or 30%?

Actually, the Mini 2 you're supposed to discharge to 40-60% if gonna leave for longer than 10 days as per the [color=var(--cr-link-color)]DJI Mini 2 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines Screenshot 2021-09-27 061543.png

The batteries should auto discharge to 96% after 24hrs and 72% as per the manual in case you forget to do the above
Youre also mean to keep an eye on them during the storage period and top up the charge when required

Screenshot 2021-09-27 061620.png

2021-9-26
Use props
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Bashy Posted at 9-26 21:19
Actually, the Mini 2 you're supposed to discharge to 40-60% if gonna leave for longer than 10 days as per the DJI Mini 2 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines[view_image]

The batteries should auto discharge to 96% after 24hrs and 72% as per the manual in case you forget to do the above

Thanks a lot for the clarification, this clears things up better. It would be nice though if DJI could synchronize all their manuals or add more details to each for clarification.
2021-9-27
Use props
djiuser_bD99DCH3L5LR
lvl.1

United States

Can you leave the Dmini2 batteries inside the charging Hub, or the drone itself if the battery is already at 60-80% ??? Please help
2021-12-3
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

long term storage half is ok. Thought I think 60 is probably better because the cells will leak charge over time and  you should check on them every couple month say 3 for example. They cannot be too low or permanent damage can occur.
2021-12-5
Use props
fansbd93b415
lvl.1
Indonesia

I wish there was a function that could automatically charge the batteries to somewhere around 70%.
2022-3-22
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

fansbd93b415 Posted at 3-22 17:50
I wish there was a function that could automatically charge the batteries to somewhere around 70%.

Just charge the battery and let it do it's thing. It'll discharge to safe levels over the next few days.
2022-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules