Mavic Mini usability?
536 17 2020-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FabLabRUC
lvl.1
Denmark

Hi all

After owning an Mavic Mini since its release I've come to the conclusion thats its close to unusable. Every time I fly it, even in the most calm of weather, it floods me with error messages about motors being max'd out or the Propeller Guards being detected, even when they are not on. The Mini is supposed to be able to fly in up 17 m/s wind but that is completely untrue with my Mini. The recent release of the Mini2 tells me that DJI know that the original Mini is underpowered.

All in all I've come to the conslusion that the Mini is unusable, that I'll put it up for sale and look elsewhere for a new drone.
2020-11-13
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Well, if you think it that un-usable, I'm sure you can find someone to ship it too - I'd say me, but you're half way round the world from me...
I love my Mini and have had very few issues with mine.
2020-11-13
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Hello FabLabRUC!
The Mini is great. Even in strong wind it can be stable and trustable.
Probably in Denmark you have stronger winds but here in Portugal you can fly probably 80% of the days.
I think that the errors about the motors are related to the the propellers and that are derived from the way you storage your Mini. There are several posts about this subject.

2020-11-13
Use props
FabLabRUC
lvl.1
Denmark

Cients Posted at 11-13 11:02
Hello FabLabRUC!
The Mini is great. Even in strong wind it can be stable and trustable.
Probably in Denmark you have stronger winds but here in Portugal you can fly probably 80% of the days.

Well, I sure the wind isn't that much different here in Denmark and I am storing the Mini in the combo-case is came with so the propellers should be fine. I just don't know... maybe I got a "monday" model. :-(
2020-11-13
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

FabLabRUC Posted at 11-13 12:22
Well, I sure the wind isn't that much different here in Denmark and I am storing the Mini in the combo-case is came with so the propellers should be fine. I just don't know... maybe I got a "monday" model. :-(

Actually, many have reported that case to be the problem with the Mini's props.  if you aren't careful about how the props are placed when the case is closed, it can flatten them out.  If you have a complete set of spare props, it would be a cheap and easy test to swap them out and see if it makes any difference or not.
2020-11-13
Use props
FabLabRUC
lvl.1
Denmark

KlooGee Posted at 11-13 12:29
Actually, many have reported that case to be the problem with the Mini's props.  if you aren't careful about how the props are placed when the case is closed, it can flatten them out.  If you have a complete set of spare props, it would be a cheap and easy test to swap them out and see if it makes any difference or not.

Crazy! I didn't know! To think that a DJI supplied case for a DJI drone can sorta damage the propellers seems a real oversight and frankly rather stupid. I think I have some carbon propellers I can try.
2020-11-13
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

FabLabRUC Posted at 11-13 12:22

To store the Mini in the case is the problem.
Accept my advice and change the rear propellers.
Do not store it in the case. Try it for some flights.
You will notice that the problems will disappear.

Have an excellent flights!
2020-11-13
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

FabLabRUC Posted at 11-13 12:32
Crazy! I didn't know! To think that a DJI supplied case for a DJI drone can sorta damage the propellers seems a real oversight and frankly rather stupid. I think I have some carbon propellers I can try.

Yes, I think it was an unforeseen issue that wasn't caught until it was in mass use.

One of the pinned threads at the top of this forum talks about this issue:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214705

I personally think this is exactly why the Mini 2 Fly More comes with the prop holder.

2020-11-13
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

I've had the mini since release and it's been an amazing first drone for me. I've flown it along the coast with no wind issues as well and I've never had maxed out motors.

Sorry to hear about your experience though, maybe you got a dud. Now is a good as time as any to replace it for the mini 2 if you're interested! It can handle wind slightly better.
2020-11-13
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

hello even if I do not agree too much with the policy of dji I find that this sacred mini and a very good little drone they may not have all flight modes, no RAW no .... no .... he is all the same good I have not to date a big problem with him, as regards the flights apart with certain updates in my case they made more flights 2500 m in general without worries and I have already flown at 4 km with mine which is the CE version. So to say that it is not a good drone would be wrong as in all brands of drone or even other things for that matter it can happen that certain model presents problems unfortunately. If I really should be complaining today it wasn't about the mini itself but rather about DJI which too quickly let it down with only one real major update since the release and which will surely not close at all.
2020-11-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good luck with the sale unless the new props sort the issue for you
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Sorry to hear that you not so happy with your mini, hope you get it fixed!!!
I still love my mini1, had luckily no issues so far(250km flight distance) and still really pleased with the performance!
2020-11-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried a new set of props?  Kind of sounds like that could be the issue.  I don't keep mine in a case so it sits on the shelf and the props don't get bent down while in a case.
2020-11-14
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Portugal

Any news ???
2020-11-14
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

First of all, as others have said, probably a good idea to replace your props.

Second, on usability of the mini. I used to find the mini pretty limited in terms of wind resistance and interference resistance. However, after I reviewed what I can use it for, it isn't quite that bad. Here are some of my opinions:

1) Take pictures/videos of yourself and family during a vacation - you do not need extreme range of more than 500 m and normally wind speed is not an issue at low altitude.
2) Scout out the surroundings - just pop the drone up, look around the geography of where you're at and land (not really an issue here with both WIFI interference and wind).
3) Inspect high places (i.e. your roof) - totally sufficient.

DJI Mini 2 is actually a better option to do all of the above and more and to be honest, it is a better drone overall vs the Mavic Mini but the original is not quite as bad as it seems and is still a serviceable unit in itself if you already owned one.
2020-11-15
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

K6CCC Posted at 11-13 10:48
Well, if you think it that un-usable, I'm sure you can find someone to ship it too - I'd say me, but you're half way round the world from me...
I love my Mini and have had very few issues with mine.

I agree!!
2020-11-16
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The mini 1 can handle the wind -

There do seem to be some circumstances where it can fail though, especially if the battery gets low or you are not in sport mode.
2020-11-16
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I rarely get any errors on mine. Unless it is really windy you shouldn't be getting so many warnings. Try replacing the props. If the errors still occur maybe something is wrong with the ESC.
2020-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules