Anybody Try Pairing Mini 2 & Smart Controller?
2141 16 2020-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi All,

Given the Mini 2 has OcuSync 2.0, has anyone attempted to and had luck pairing the Smart Controller to the Mini 2? I know DJI has not made any official announcement with respect to the Mini 2 being compatible to the Smart Controller, and the Mavic Air 2 was Released April 27th and did not receive the firmware update for the Smart Controller until September, I wonder if this 5 month waiting window will be a proxy for the Mini 2 for a similar firmware to receive Smart Controller compatibility? I certainly expect DJI to include the Mini 2 with the Mavic 2, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, Mavic Air 2 to the fray with the Smart Controller, but you never know if they want to reserve their premium drones and decide to leave the Mini 2 out?

Thanks!
2020-11-13
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Hi David,

I have the latests Fly version 1.2.1 installed on my SC and tested to pair the Mini2. No luck, the firmware of the SC doesn't allow the Mini2 to pair with the SC.

In another thread I read DJI will add the Mini2 on the firmware of the SC, but no time period given. So, give it some months till the next SC firmware update, don't know when ...
2020-11-18
Use props
fakeusername
New

United States

Just decided to waste my money on this exact setup.
Like the last poster said, despite them both having OccuSync 2.0, it makes sense for them to not release compatibility with current products on release day.
I mean, who wants something to work the day they buy it right?

2020-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not compatible - as yet David
2020-11-19
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Personally think it is in DJI's best interest to release the firmware sooner better than later; as it'll most likely help to sell a few more Mini2's to people who already have the Smart Controllers, and vice versa. And definitely sell more Smart Controllers if it is compatible with more birds.
2020-11-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnDG Posted at 11-18 04:04
Hi David,

I have the latests Fly version 1.2.1 installed on my SC and tested to pair the Mini2. No luck, the firmware of the SC doesn't allow the Mini2 to pair with the SC.

This seems counterintuitive based on the fact that if they release the firmware 6 months or so post the release of a drone that gets a refresh or update the following year to a later version it defeats the purpose of having old technology on a timely basis.
2020-11-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fakeusername Posted at 11-19 03:07
Just decided to waste my money on this exact setup.
Like the last poster said, despite them both having OccuSync 2.0, it makes sense for them to not release compatibility with current products on release day.
I mean, who wants something to work the day they buy it right?

I agree with you. Just release the drone and the firmware on the same day or around the same time period for the customer to derive maximum benefit.
2020-11-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 11-19 03:15
Not compatible - as yet David

Why do you think this is?
2020-11-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 11-19 04:38
Personally think it is in DJI's best interest to release the firmware sooner better than later; as it'll most likely help to sell a few more Mini2's to people who already have the Smart Controllers, and vice versa. And definitely sell more Smart Controllers if it is compatible with more birds.

There's only one method to madness, find a workaround.
2020-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI wanting to get the Mini 2 out in the market for Christmas sales before updating the SC compatibility? Not wanting the Mini 2 to detract sales of the Air 2? Small number of technicians due to lockdown procedures? All of the above?
2020-11-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 11-19 23:49
DJI wanting to get the Mini 2 out in the market for Christmas sales before updating the SC compatibility? Not wanting the Mini 2 to detract sales of the Air 2? Small number of technicians due to lockdown procedures? All of the above?

I think the real challenge is to find a case that can hold the Mini 2 and Smart Controller nicely in anticipation of DJI adding support for it in the coming months.
2020-12-12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 12-12 19:50
I think the real challenge is to find a case that can hold the Mini 2 and Smart Controller nicely in anticipation of DJI adding support for it in the coming months.

I'm sure something will pop up on Amazon
2020-12-15
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 12-15 05:39
I'm sure something will pop up on Amazon

I've seen some cases pop up on Amazon here and there but I thought they'd be coming out in droves about now, still, only a few cases are out and I like a little bit more of a selection. The real question is when will DJI enable smart controller support for the Mini 2?
2020-12-31
Use props
djiuser_wy0xgeQ5VD7k
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have the bought the mavic 2 pro complete with smart controller and was going to buy this as a in the pocket solution but holding off until this released and a few other issues resolved. shame really will lose a lot of sales if not
2021-1-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 2020-12-31 19:06
I've seen some cases pop up on Amazon here and there but I thought they'd be coming out in droves about now, still, only a few cases are out and I like a little bit more of a selection. The real question is when will DJI enable smart controller support for the Mini 2?

Does seem to be a slower market David than back in the day after a new release
2021-1-15
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_wy0xgeQ5VD7k Posted at 1-6 12:35
I have the bought the mavic 2 pro complete with smart controller and was going to buy this as a in the pocket solution but holding off until this released and a few other issues resolved. shame really will lose a lot of sales if not

I take it there will be a firmware release that will enable the DJI Smart Controller, I thought it would have been ideal if DJI would have released it with the latest firmware update but not this time. I suspect there is some reason why DJI has not released the firmware for the DJI Mini 2 to be compatible with the Smart Controller, I suspect it is really about cannibalizing sales of other DJI drones, namely the Mavic 2, which you recently purchased.

How do you like the Mavic 2 Pro?
2021-1-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 1-15 05:16
Does seem to be a slower market David than back in the day after a new release

I think it has to do with the pandemic, more people are finding it difficult to fly outdoors with a drone. The Mini 2 is exceptional with flying indoors compared to the rest of the DJI drones. I really believe that with a lot of indoor lighting you really don't need that much indoor space to fly the Mini 2 indoors. For photographers and videographers who would be using a gimbal and mirrorless camera system, there are shots when the Mini 2 just will do a better job at filming those scenes or photos indoors.
2021-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules