DJI poor firmware updates strike again!
1143 22 2020-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CentralOtagoKiwi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

I sometimes wonder what the QA department at DJI are doing - do they thoroughly test all configurations?

Latest updates added to Drone, batteries and controller (as of 15/11/20) and now the HD communication to controller is toast - as reported in other posts.

Come on DJI - I thought you would have learned a few lessions from the Phantom 4 firmware debacle. Obviously not...

Current siituation displaying disrupted video on device in photo mode:

HD tranmission mode:

16:9 OK
4:3 broken with full-on artefacts

Smooth transmission mode:

16:9 OK
4:3 OK

** EDIT 17 November ** See my post further down on how I've fixed the issue. Not sure if it's the firmware, but rolling back the Android version of the DJI app to an earlier version fixes the HD transmission issue.

2020-11-14
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... I thought they would have learned a few lessions...

... not ar all, sorry.
2020-11-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you show an example of the issue you have?
2020-11-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello there CentralOtagoKiwi. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to read and to know that you are having an issue with your DJI Mavic air 2. For us to be able to assist you further, may I have a screen recording of the response of the app and showing the issue? In addition, what kind of mobile device you are using as a screen?
2020-11-15
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

I can confirm. The issue for me seemed to start after the RC firmware update, before the new Aircraft firmware was installed. I thought the aircraft firmware update would fix it but nope. HD transmission does not work. The video feed takes a minute to come on, then its darker then it should be and it freezes constantly. If you move the gimbal it takes over 10 seconds to react and show the right thing on the screen. SMOOTH transmission seems ok but wont trust flying this drone.

I have had dji drones for over 6 years and never seen anything this bad and I am shocked this hasn't been fixed yet since there are tons of people having this issue.
2020-11-15
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

I could not agree more. How can it be that DJI is releasing updates apparently without rigorous testing of such beforehand? My MA2 was flying perfectly until November 5 update of the Fly App. I don’t know what went wrong, Is it Fly App version 2.1.0 that is bad or is it the also released firmware update that is bad? Can anybody explain the difference between application update vs. firmware update? What is each responsible for?
DJI had just released another Fly app update 2.1.1 for Android. Has anybody tested this update yet and have the previously described issues been fixed? Thank you!
2020-11-16
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Is it really 2.1.1 ?
2020-11-16
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

no, it's 1.2.1
2020-11-16
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260735 ft
Portugal

MySky Posted at 11-16 07:35
Is it really 2.1.1 ?

Yes. Remove the app installled and Google Play again
2020-11-16
Use props
CentralOtagoKiwi
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-15 02:14
Hello there CentralOtagoKiwi. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to read and to know that you are having an issue with your DJI Mavic air 2. For us to be able to assist you further, may I have a screen recording of the response of the app and showing the issue? In addition, what kind of mobile device you are using as a screen?

I use a 64bit Sony XA2 Ultra.

However, I have fixed the HD transmission issue by DOWNGRADING the DJI Fly app to v1.1.9.

This solution has been suggested in Mavic Pilots forum - maybe DJI might want to read what's being said by its customers over there. It might learn a thing or two...

** Another update **

I have upgraded the DJI Fly app on my Sony XA2 Ultra to v1.1.10 - the HD  transmission video quality issue DOES NOT appear with this version. I'm  sticking with it until I hear otherwise from this forum or Mavic Pilots  forum.
2020-11-17
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

CentralOtagoKiwi Posted at 11-17 00:37

However, I have fixed the HD transmission issue by DOWNGRADING the DJI Fly app to v1.1.9.

I just installed this older version v1.1.9 and it fixed the issues I was having. Everything works correctly now.

DJI, get your ... together. This isn't a regular app, this app controls a flying camera that costs almost $900 and could hurt someone if you cant see where you are flying. Unreal.

Looks like I am going back to my old ways of NEVER updating.
2020-11-17
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ny300z Posted at 11-17 08:09
I just installed this older version v1.1.9 and it fixed the issues I was having. Everything works correctly now.

DJI, get your ... together. This isn't a regular app, this app controls a flying camera that costs almost $900 and could hurt someone if you cant see where you are flying. Unreal.

Absolutely what I think.     
2020-11-17
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I was able to test updates on field today. There were a few beeps (like 6 maybe?) from controller on remote start up, no calibration requested by app. It worked in general but I suffer with lags of video feed and map indicator as well (on screen movement is not fluid), so 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 is no good for me...
2020-11-17
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

No issues with these updates installed:
2020-11-17
Use props
CentralOtagoKiwi
lvl.3
New Zealand

Pappy3 Posted at 11-17 09:17
[view_image]

Which device are you using?
2020-11-17
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The RC firmware update on 11/5 definitely was a dud.  I had laggy video, disconnects and weird flight telemetry.  Then the 11/7 update fixed that but it felt off still while flying.  The Mavic Air 2 firmware seem to fix all. the issues but I only had a chance to do a a couple of short flights in an open area.  Us Californians do not deal with 20 mph winds and sunny 60° weather very well so I have not been out flying much.  

I used to just go out for a long flight after every update but have over the last month between the DJI Fly app and the firmware update bugs have started to excise more caution before doing so.  Having to go to a open area and test out the updates before actually having fun with the drone is a let down.
2020-11-17
Use props
spetersen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501952 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Pappy3 Posted at 11-17 09:17
[view_image]

I downgraded my MA2 iOS 14.2 this is what I'm using until DJI get the situation under control. Works perfect
Aircraft Firmvare  01.00.0340
RC Firmvare 01.00.0340
Fly App 1.1.10
iOS 14.2

2020-11-18
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-17 22:08
The RC firmware update on 11/5 definitely was a dud.  I had laggy video, disconnects and weird flight telemetry.  Then the 11/7 update fixed that but it felt off still while flying.  The Mavic Air 2 firmware seem to fix all. the issues but I only had a chance to do a a couple of short flights in an open area.  Us Californians do not deal with 20 mph winds and sunny 60° weather very well so I have not been out flying much.  

I used to just go out for a long flight after every update but have over the last month between the DJI Fly app and the firmware update bugs have started to excise more caution before doing so.  Having to go to a open area and test out the updates before actually having fun with the drone is a let down.

Having to go to a open area and test out the updates before actually having fun with the drone is a let down.

So true and so sad...
2020-11-18
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I feel like I want to run multiple test flights in an open area not just the one quick test.  In all fairness, once all of the updates were rolled out the Mavic Air 2 seems to be back to normal and definitely flight worthy but the number of problems I encountered at different points in the firmware and app updates have placed me in cautious mindset.
2020-11-18
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

CentralOtagoKiwi Posted at 11-17 09:26
Which device are you using?

Samsung Galaxy A71, Android 10
2020-11-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiwi Posted at 11-17 00:37

"DJI might want to read what's being said by its customers over there. It might learn a thing or two..."

Speaking of reading deficiencies, have you read the list of approved devices? It appears that the one you are using is NOT on the list. Just because it worked before does not mean DJI guarantees it will work in the future...or ever. I am using two unapproved devices that work ok with ALL versions including 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. But if they fail sometime after a future update that is on me, not DJI, because they warned me. Take some responsibility for this, as unusual that might be these days.
2020-11-19
Use props
CentralOtagoKiwi
lvl.3
New Zealand

GaryDoug Posted at 11-19 20:20
"DJI might want to read what's being said by its customers over there. It might learn a thing or two..."

Speaking of reading deficiencies, have you read the list of approved devices? It appears that the one you are using is NOT on the list. Just because it worked before does not mean DJI guarantees it will work in the future...or ever. I am using two unapproved devices that work ok with all versions. But if they fail sometime after a future update that is on me, not DJI, because they warned me. Take some responsibility for this, as unusual that might be these days.
Sure, the XA2 is not on the approved list - but is anyone with an approved device having similar issues? Would be interested to know. Thanks!
2020-11-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I sometimes wonder what the QA department at DJI are doing - do they thoroughly test all configurations"

No they don't. They only test the configurations that they support.
2020-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules