Jumpy Video When Panning
1348 10 2020-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TAC57
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117835 ft
United States

I crashed my Mavic Air 2 and got a replacement (not the original unit) back the other day and I've noticed the video is not as smooth as it was with my original unit.   

Specificaly, if I'm flying (Normal mode) and pan the camera down from 0 to -90 degrees the video on the controller (my phone) is not perfectly smooth like it used to be. it's very subtle, but I can see very slight delays or jumps as the video pans down.

Don't know if my replacement drone is bad or if there might be some software setting I can mess with.  All my software is up to date with the latest releases.

Thanks,
-TAC

2020-11-17
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

can you post one of thoe videos? Are you sure it's not just high shutter speed?
2020-11-17
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Yes, as posted above, shutter is important. Try using NDs.
2020-11-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello TAC57, my apologies this has caused you and thank you for reaching us out. Have you changed any settings from the Camera if you do please try to reset the Camera Settings. Just open the DJI Fly app then start by tapping "Go Fly". Select the three dots at the upper right hand corner of the Camera View and select "Camera" to enter Camera Settings. Swipe down and select "Reset Camera Parameters".

I would suggest as well to run Gimbal Calibration. From the same page Select "Control", swipe down and locate "Gimbal Calibration" tap it to proceed with the Gimbal Calibration. Ensure that the Aircraft is placed in a level flat surface when conducting Gimbal Calibration. Lastly, ensure that the DJI Fly app is at the current version. Version 1.2.1 is the latest version for the DJI Fly app. After doing these steps please try to fly and let us know if you encounter same issue. If you can also provide a video of the issue that will be helpful.

Please keep us posted so that we can further assist you. Thank you for your understanding and your support.
2020-11-17
Use props
TAC57
lvl.2
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 11-17 06:15
can you post one of thoe videos? Are you sure it's not just high shutter speed?

I'll check the shutter speed.  I never messed with the shutter speed on my original Mavic Air 2 and would figure this refurbished unit would probably have the factory default settings.

I've always shot in Auto mode and have not messed with the shutter speed.  I guess I could go in Manual mode and adjust the shutter speed.  What shutter speed would you recommend?

Current camera settings are JPEG, 4:3, Auto Sync HD Photos, White Balance Auto.  Also I just reset Camera Parameters and will check out if that made any difference.
2020-11-17
Use props
TAC57
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-17 06:23
Hello TAC57, my apologies this has caused you and thank you for reaching us out. Have you changed any settings from the Camera if you do please try to reset the Camera Settings. Just open the DJI Fly app then start by tapping "Go Fly". Select the three dots at the upper right hand corner of the Camera View and select "Camera" to enter Camera Settings. Swipe down and select "Reset Camera Parameters".

I would suggest as well to run Gimbal Calibration. From the same page Select "Control", swipe down and locate "Gimbal Calibration" tap it to proceed with the Gimbal Calibration. Ensure that the Aircraft is placed in a level flat surface when conducting Gimbal Calibration. Lastly, ensure that the DJI Fly app is at the current version. Version 1.2.1 is the latest version for the DJI Fly app. After doing these steps please try to fly and let us know if you encounter same issue. If you can also provide a video of the issue that will be helpful.

I reset the camera settings, calibrated the gimbal, and am running 1.21.

In looking at the Advanced Gimbal Settings, for Normal Mode I see Pitch Smoothness is set to 8 and Yaw Smoothness to 5.  What should these be set to?

Sport Mode has these at zero, and CineSmooth mode has them at 15 and 8.
2020-11-17
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

TAC57 Posted at 11-17 06:58
I'll check the shutter speed.  I never messed with the shutter speed on my original Mavic Air 2 and would figure this refurbished unit would probably have the factory default settings.

I've always shot in Auto mode and have not messed with the shutter speed.  I guess I could go in Manual mode and adjust the shutter speed.  What shutter speed would you recommend?

it's not just about adjusting it and it depends on what conditions you were flying. A bright sunny day (or even worse, a snowy environment) will cause the camera to have a ridiculously high shutter speed (in excess of 1/1000), which will get you that "stuttery" look. The only way to counter that is to use ND filters to get to the "ideal" shutter speed of 2*framerate (meaning that shooting at 30fps you should be aiming for a shutter speed of 1/60).
2020-11-17
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

"the video on the controller (my phone) is not perfectly smooth..."

The video feed on my phone is always jumpy and jerky but is okay on the card. Have you checked your card?
2020-11-17
Use props
TAC57
lvl.2
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 11-17 07:26
it's not just about adjusting it and it depends on what conditions you were flying. A bright sunny day (or even worse, a snowy environment) will cause the camera to have a ridiculously high shutter speed (in excess of 1/1000), which will get you that "stuttery" look. The only way to counter that is to use ND filters to get to the "ideal" shutter speed of 2*framerate (meaning that shooting at 30fps you should be aiming for a shutter speed of 1/60).

One of the reasons I went with the Air 2 over the Mini was the ability to mess around with the camera settings since I am very familiar with shooting in manual mode with my Nikon D7000 DSLR.  I will try forcing a slower shutter speed and see the effect.

In my original question I guess I was just looking to see if my new replacement drone has a mechanical problem since both units should have been in the default factory manual settings and operating the same, i.e. original unit video being super smoother and this replacement being very slightly jerky when panning.

Might have to let it warm up a bit here in norther Michigan before I get to go out for some serious testing.
2020-11-17
Use props
TAC57
lvl.2
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-17 07:35
"the video on the controller (my phone) is not perfectly smooth..."

The video feed on my phone is always jumpy and jerky but is okay on the card. Have you checked your card?

I am in the process xfering the video to my computer..
2020-11-17
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have gotten jerky gimble movement in the high winds on my phone while flying but they were not jerky on the actual video file.  

But I do have to agree that the Advanced Gimble Settings in the DJI Fly app version 1.20 & 1.2.1 don't seem as smooth as the previous versions.
2020-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules