Attitude of Mavic air 2
10987 12 2020-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sandy96
lvl.1

Sri Lanka

Hello guys, Could you please tell me what is the highst attitude you recomend for me? Is it will be a problem if I fly my mavic air 2 over 400m?

2020-11-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

No issue for the MA2, but it depends on your skills to handle the drone, if it is out of sight (VLOS: Visual Line Of Sight) and it depends as well on your local law regulations, which max hight is allowed to fly with a drone. In a lot of countries max. hight is 100 to 120 meters.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The Mavic Air 2 has a maximum altitude of 1500 ft. The max altitude can be adjusted in the Safety tab in the Setting menu.

But 400m is a little over 1200ft and that greatly exceeds flight operation which is capped at 120m or 400ft without special clearance.

For most scenarios below 120m is the maximum height you will need.   Remember you height is calculated for the elevation of you home point.

A little trick I have figured out is to find a place higher than where you would like to shoot and operate your controller from that point. It helps with getting a better signal and is easier to keep a visual on you drone and the area it is fly in.
2020-11-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 13:14
The Mavic Air 2 has a maximum altitude of 1500 ft. The max altitude can be adjusted in the Safety tab in the Setting menu.

But 400m is a little over 1200ft and that greatly exceeds flight operation which is capped at 120m or 400ft without special clearance.

Sorry to correct you, but max. flight altitude of the MA2 is 5000m or  approx. 15000ft.
And your trick to search for a higher position does not prevent you to follow your local regulations of max. hight above ground.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

MySky Posted at 11-19 13:30
Sorry to correct you, but max. flight altitude of the MA2 is 5000m or  approx. 15000ft.
And your trick to search for a higher position does not prevent you to follow your local regulations of max. hight above ground.
Where did I mentions circumventing VLOS or ground to Altitude restrictions???  

Trying to find a better vantage point to maintain VLOS, have better situational awareness of the area in which you are flying and stronger signal is what a responsible pilot should try to achieve before flying.

It is important when operating from an elevated positions to remember that the height is not relevant to the area you are fly and must be subtracted from the 400ft height restriction.

15000ft is the maximum operational altitude and has to do with air density and not the the height of the drone.

I personally flew up a mountain side that was 2,300 ft above my home point at 1,500 and some odd feet the app prompted me that the maximum height was reached and the Air 2 would go no higher even with it set to no max altitude in the setting.
2020-11-19
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 11-19 13:30

I think you misunderstood what JohnLietzke was saying.

DJI caps all their drones at a max height above the take off point of 500m (1640ft).  This is what the original poster was asking about and everybody including John was referring to.

What you are referring to is the the maximum height above sea level.  DJI rates this at 5000m (16,400ft) for the MA2, but this is not a hard limitation.

I agree though, it is important to follow local regulations.  This varies from country to country.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-19 14:07
I think you misunderstood what JohnLietzke was saying.

DJI caps all their drones at a max height above the take off point of 500m (1640ft).  This is what the original poster was asking about and everybody including John was referring to.

Have you tried it or seen a video of it above 15,000 ft?  

I saw one video from Utah with a mini at almost 12,000 ft and despite the elevation and conditions it seemed to perform well.  The video was not long enough to gauge the effects on battery consumption.  In that video, it would be hard to gauge battery consumption because it was well below freezing which would more than likely would have had an adverse affect on the the battery longevity.
It looks like you have every DJI product ever made and fly a lot.  I will keep an eye out for your comments in the future due to your bredth of knowlege and pallete of experience.
2020-11-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Yes, it is limited to 1500ft obove starting point by DJI for whatever reason. But nevertheless the max. altitude to possibly fly at is 15000ft. And it can even fly higher depending on the current airpressure or density.

2020-11-19
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 14:16
Have you tried it or seen a video of it above 15,000 ft?  

I saw one video from Utah with a mini at almost 12,000 ft and despite the elevation and conditions it seemed to perform well.  The video was not long enough to gauge the effects on battery consumption.  In that video, it would be hard to gauge battery consumption because it was well below freezing which would more than likely would have had an adverse affect on the the battery longevity.

Unfortunately I've not been in the mountains since I've had either my Mini or Mini 2, so I can't speak from experience.  I have previously flown my M2P above 15,000 ft (CORRECTION: 12,000).

However, in my opinion, DJI should not state a specific altitude as the max it can fly at.  Instead, they should state a "density altitude".  This is what the rest of aviation uses when talking about the max height for a flying object.  Density altitude takes into account multiple environmental conditions.  If I remember correctly, it is things like temp, pressure, and humidity.  It is the combination of those things that really defines the upper limits for a flying object.

2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-19 14:55
Unfortunately I've not been in the mountains since I've had either my Mini or Mini 2, so I can't speak from experience.  I have previously flown my M2P above 15,000 ft.

However, in my opinion, DJI should not state a specific altitude as the max it can fly at.  Instead, they should state a "density altitude".  This is what the rest of aviation uses when talking about the max height for a flying object.  Density altitude takes into account multiple environmental conditions.  If I remember correctly, it is things like temp, pressure, and humidity.  It is the combination of those things that really defines the upper limits for a flying object.

I agree with you.  Density Altitude would be a better metric for the maximum operational altitude.  But it looks like the temperature drop is quite sever (58°F) and the air density is about 40% less at 16,000ft based some scale examples.

Where were you when you flew the M2P?  
2020-11-19
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-19 15:18
I agree with you.  Density Altitude would be a better metric for the maximum operational altitude.  But it looks like the temperature drop is quite sever (58°F) and the air density is about 40% less at 16,000ft based on this scale example. [view_image][/img]

Where were you when you flew the M2P?

Sorry, I just looked again and I was wrong.  It was actually just over 12,000ft in Colorado.
2020-11-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

That is still high.  
What is your go to drone right now?  I understand it may be skewed to the Mini 2 as it is new in your arsenal.  Which drone is your favorite all around?
2020-11-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Sandy96. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The DJI Mavic Air 2 has a Maximum Service Ceiling Above Sea Level of 5000 m. In addition, please check local policies and regulations before flying. The Fly Safe web portal ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav ) offers downloadable regulatory documents from various countries which have been collated by DJI. As relevant laws and regulations will be updated from time to time, Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules