upcoming EU drone regulation
843 6 2020-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smooth77
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,
I don't know if there is already a thread for this or if I just haven't found it.

Is there a statement from DJI about the upcoming EU drone regulation?
What will happen to my Mavic Air 2 when the stock period expires on 1.01.2023?
Will certified drones be available for purchase in January 2021?
I would now like to buy a new drone at Black Friday which I can only fly for a maximum of 2 years. I have my first drone since 2015 and it still flies...

2020-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is no official statement from DJI about this as of now.
They have not (and can't ) release a CE C1 certified drone right now because the EU has not made the final requirements available (that is what I have heard from it)
Some say DJI is looking into retrospective certification for certain drones, but others state this is not possible.
My personal advice would be to hold back right now until this is clear.
If you need to buy a drone, I would get the MM2 because that will be allowed to fly under the new regulations without limitations.
Actually it might be a good choice considering the fact that a 250g+ drone will require additional training and certification for the pilot which is not a road everybody will be willing to take.
And it is a (small) step up from MM1
2020-11-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I second what Montfrooij said.
2020-11-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree - the Mini 2 is the way to go unless you intend to take courses
2020-11-24
Use props
Arke
lvl.1

Poland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-23 01:21
There is no official statement from DJI about this as of now.
They have not (and can't ) release a CE C1 certified drone right now because the EU has not made the final requirements available (that is what I have heard from it)
Some say DJI is looking into retrospective certification for certain drones, but others state this is not possible.

How do you know if MM2 will be available for flying? doesn't it fall under the same rules as other drones?
Are you sure there will be no problem flying in urban area etc.. with drones bought this year?
2020-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Arke Posted at 11-30 06:30
How do you know if MM2 will be available for flying? doesn't it fall under the same rules as other drones?
Are you sure there will be no problem flying in urban area etc.. with drones bought this year?

The MM2 is <250g so it falls in another category by the EASA rules.
It does not need CE C1.
You are never sure because these rules can be altered by national governments.
But this is what it is so far.
2020-11-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Arke Posted at 11-30 06:30

The Mini 2 will be classed as an A1 legacy drone as weighs <250g but is not a you. You may fly it in the A1 subcategory of the open category for an indefinite period (over people) the same as class C0 (not a toy). Though as Monty stated, check with your own laws after the EASA regs have been implemented as national aviations authorities may change them on a regional level.
2020-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules