Mini 2 videos stutter / jerky while shooting
11105 18 2020-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Madcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23898 ft
Germany

Hello  Today was the first time in the air with my new Mini 2 and unfortunately a bit disappointed.  Regardless of which video mode I record, as soon as the drone turns, the videos stutter and jerk.  Firmware and APP are up to date.  A Sandisk Extreme 64 GB MicroSd is used as the memory card.  The same card was previously in the Mini 1 and the video recordings were soft there.  Have I missed something in the settings or is the memory card unsuitable for the Mini 2?  With kind regards

Sven

2020-11-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Might be worth posting an example and the settings you used.
2020-11-29
Use props
Debugger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4865846 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Which video player do you use for playback? Is your sd card U3?
2020-11-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You issue has nothing to do with the SD card you are using. The SD card has no bearing on the quality of recordings, it simply records or not. The issue you describe (on pans) is common to almost all solid state cameras. You need to slow the shutter down to introduce an element of blur into the images, this is done by using a ND filter. It also helps to void using pans or slow them down as much as possible.
2020-11-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 11-29 14:14
You issue has nothing to do with the SD card you are using. The SD card has no bearing on the quality of recordings, it simply records or not. The issue you describe (on pans) is common to almost all solid state cameras. You need to slow the shutter down to introduce an element of blur into the images, this is done by using a ND filter. It also helps to void using pans or slow them down as much as possible.

So, might reducing the frame rate help with that?
2020-11-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 11-29 14:24
So, might reducing the frame rate help with that?

Yes, but only to a minor degree. In order of precedence, reducing the speed of pans by slowing the camera's movement, or using an ND filter to slow the shutter rate will have more effect on the issue.

2020-11-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 11-29 15:39
Yes, but only to a minor degree. In order of precedence, reducing the speed of pans by slowing the camera's movement, or using an ND filter to slow the shutter rate will have more effect on the issue.

Thanks for that clarification
2020-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Sven. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please post a sample video showing the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.
2020-11-29
Use props
Madcom
lvl.4
Germany

Good evening

Have already tested all camera settings in the App. But without success.

Memory card is a Sandisk Extreme 64 GB U3 V30

Tested with Windows Media Player and VLC Player.

System:  I9 9900K, 64 GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 and a 1 TB M2 SSD.

Here are two video samples, where you can see the stuttering / jerking wonderfully.

Sven

https://streamable.com/hkrm3h

https://streamable.com/to34ld
2020-11-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Madcom Posted at 11-30 11:22
Good evening

Have already tested all camera settings in the App. But without success.

Yes, exactly as expected. I have already given you the answer in post #4.
2020-11-30
Use props
Madcom
lvl.4
Germany

I don't quite understand that I still need a filter to be able to use the drone without problems when filming.
2020-12-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Madcom Posted at 12-2 03:34
I don't quite understand that I still need a filter to be able to use the drone without problems when filming.

The amount of light that his the sensor in the camera causes the footage to be exposed. If over exposed the footage will be terrible and impossible to work with in post. In order to ensure a correct exposure using a camera with no aperture control you need to increase the shutter speed.

Faster shutter speeds cause the issues you are facing which will happen with any camera being operated in bright sunlight. To reduce the shutter speed without underexposing the footage (making it too dark to see) you need to do as Geebax stated - use an ND filter to provide a sufficient F-stop of light from hitting the sensor. This will also create motion blur, especially if you can get your shutter speed to be double your frame rate (known as the 180 degree rule) and make the footage look more natural. Also, dropping the gimbal down nearer to the ground when flying towards a bright sun or don't fly directly at the sun will help as less light will be hitting the sensor. In addition, slowing down your pans by reducing the drone yaw and gimbal pitch speeds will help smooth out the footage too as will your being less aggressive on the RC sticks - gentle inputs produce gentle results...

There is nothing wrong with your drone - you just need to do some proper research on how the camera works if you want the best results.  
2020-12-2
Use props
Madcom
lvl.4
Germany

Thanks for the information.

Didn't know the problem from the MINI 1.

I have now ordered the PGYTECH ND filter set and hope to minimize the problem with it
2020-12-2
Use props
Jonathan_048
lvl.1
United States

Madcom Posted at 2020-12-2 11:18
Thanks for the information.

Didn't know the problem from the MINI 1.

Hi, I'm curious if this helped.
I have the same scenario...jerkiness. Just tried an ND filter today for the first time and will continue experimenting but thought i'd check in here too.
2021-4-9
Use props
Ddraig62SPD
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I had the same frustration with stuttering/jittery playback issues on my Mini 2 when yawing horizontally to record panoramic footage in bright conditions in Auto mode. Like others, I tried slowing the gimbal yaw speed to a minimum and using Cine mode but nothing helped until I took the advice of experienced YouTubers and took the leap of faith with some Freewell ND filters.

RELIEF!! It immediately resolved the constraint of having a fixed aperture lens on the Mini 2 (by reducing the light hitting the lens and therefore allowing slower shutter speeds and smoother footage). I tried a ND16 filter on a sunny evening and followed the 180 rule in manual mode and got jitter-free playback with natural motion blur which increased with speed of the yaw or pan movement. I got hugely improved results when shooting 2.7K 60FPS with 1/120 shutter speed in the prevailing light conditions (but the most appropriate ND filter 4/8/16/32 will obviously vary as conditions change). It really was a night and day improvement over shooting with no filter in bright conditions so I'd thoroughly recommend investing in a decent set of ND filters to get the best from this pocket wonder!
2021-4-17
Use props
djiuser_NpobxxLRj97t
New

United Kingdom

Many don't know about A1 and A2 card classification. Could help.
2021-12-9
Use props
KrowNB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 267703 ft
Canada

A J Posted at 2020-12-2 03:47
The amount of light that his the sensor in the camera causes the footage to be exposed. If over exposed the footage will be terrible and impossible to work with in post. In order to ensure a correct exposure using a camera with no aperture control you need to increase the shutter speed.

Faster shutter speeds cause the issues you are facing which will happen with any camera being operated in bright sunlight. To reduce the shutter speed without underexposing the footage (making it too dark to see) you need to do as Geebax stated - use an ND filter to provide a sufficient F-stop of light from hitting the sensor. This will also create motion blur, especially if you can get your shutter speed to be double your frame rate (known as the 180 degree rule) and make the footage look more natural. Also, dropping the gimbal down nearer to the ground when flying towards a bright sun or don't fly directly at the sun will help as less light will be hitting the sensor. In addition, slowing down your pans by reducing the drone yaw and gimbal pitch speeds will help smooth out the footage too as will your being less aggressive on the RC sticks - gentle inputs produce gentle results...

"Faster shutter speeds cause the issues you are facing which will happen with any camera being operated in bright sunlight. "

But his second video example was clearly taken on a cloudy day.  There are no shadows at all visible so the light is very diffused.  Are you saying even under such dull conditions ND filters are necessary to get smooth footage?
2021-12-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

SLOW DOWN the yaw/pan!!! You are moving the camera WAY TOO FAST!!!
2021-12-9
Use props
MickeyMooMoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2878268 ft
United Kingdom

I do not think its anything to do with shutter speed but the yaw settings on your drone. I use the lowest speed settings and the highest smoothness settings. I know with the latest firmware update, you can also alter the sensitivity of the sticks which also makes a great difference. When filming close up to subjects the jitter is more noticeable. So do everything slowly and smoothly.
2022-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules