Height/Distance restricted after battery swap
1615 23 2020-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kcahill76
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35502 ft
Canada

Hi Everyone,  I'm new to the drone world and recently picked up the Mini 2.  So far I'm very happy with it, with one exception.  Every time I have to do a battery swap, my next flight (immediately after the swap) I'm limited to 48m distance and 30m height.  I originally thought it was because I was in a warning zone, but yeterday I went well outside of any zones and had the same issue happen.  I can fly unrestricted on the first battery, but when that one dies, and I swap it out and try to fly again, restricted.  This has happened on 4 different days for me.  I went through the user manual and didn't see anything that would help, and I've searched on line, but also found nothing.

Anyone else experiecing this?  Am I missing a key piece of info on the Mini 2?  Any help appreciated.
2020-11-30
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Sounds like you have the payload mode set to on ?
2020-11-30
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Next time you try and get this, I’d recommend doing a screen recording and share that here so that we can see what you see. Quite frequently this makes it far easier to provide a definitive answer rather than just a guess.
2020-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kcahill76. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Mini 2 to see if the issue will still persist? Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-11-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you attached anything else to the drone, like prop guards?
2020-11-30
Use props
FrankFusse
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-30 20:02
Hello there kcahill76. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of your DJI Mini 2 to see if the issue will still persist? Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.

Hi DJI Stephen, we appreciate your help.  I was also impressed with DJI Support helping to resolve my own Mini 2 issue, which is being resolved by returning the drone for replacement.  However, the suggestion that the user refresh the DJI Mini 2 firmware is not helping much, given that the current DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) V2.1.0 supporting the DJI Mini 2 does not provide this option.  I assume that this option will be provided in the future.  Related to this, I was able to update the firmware twice on my Mini 2 using DJI Fly.  I don't know why it let me do it twice, but it just did.
2020-11-30
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, weather has stopped me from trying anything last night and it will continue to keep me grounded till Thursday.  I don't have any prop guards or any other items attached to the drone to make it register as heavier on take off.  It doesn't show P Mode when flying, but I haven't gone into the settings to see if it's been turned on, while flying.  I'll see if I can refresh the firmware, or at least run an update.  And next flights I'll capture some screen recordings to post.
2020-12-1
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

kcahill76 Posted at 12-1 04:31
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, weather has stopped me from trying anything last night and it will continue to keep me grounded till Thursday.  I don't have any prop guards or any other items attached to the drone to make it register as heavier on take off.  It doesn't show P Mode when flying, but I haven't gone into the settings to see if it's been turned on, while flying.  I'll see if I can refresh the firmware, or at least run an update.  And next flights I'll capture some screen recordings to post.

It sounds like a firmware refresh on those two batteries could remedy the problem.
2020-12-1
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Power the Mini 2 with the suspect battery and controller on indoors, ensure your phone has a internet connection.  Open the App and ensure the Splash Screen is showing (not Camera View), wait a few minutes and you may see a Firmware Update for Battery appear as mentioned by ABI above.  DJI Assistant does not work, I’ve seen numerous reports on this and yet DJI Moderators continue to advise to use it!?
2020-12-1
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

Hi everyone, thanks for waiting patiently. There was a break in the weather and I got out to test. I updated the firmware on all batteries before heading out. I flew without issue on a full battery till I got the Low battery warning. Landed, swapped batteries and was then restricted to 30mh and 48md. Screen recording located below. I did not have any guards or other accessories on the drone.

2020-12-2
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

I would PM DJI Stephen in the above post, he should be able to get things going in the right direction.
2020-12-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

kcahill76 Posted at 12-2 13:33
Hi everyone, thanks for waiting patiently. There was a break in the weather and I got out to test. I updated the firmware on all batteries before heading out. I flew without issue on a full battery till I got the Low battery warning. Landed, swapped batteries and was then restricted to 30mh and 48md. Screen recording located below. I did not have any guards or other accessories on the drone.

https://youtu.be/oR0f99ia3XA

Hi kcahill76,

Interesting case....

There is a 30 meter limit and distance limot in the manual.
Has to do with low GPS reception.
In your video at start the GPS is bad....

Try to land in this limitation situation, shutdown rotors and start rotors and fly again...
If it always the same second battery to give this limitation?  (try to start a totally new flight with this #2 batt first)

cheers
JJB
2020-12-3
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

JJB* Posted at 12-3 06:56
Hi kcahill76,

Interesting case....

Thanks, but it doesn't matter the battery I used, I've swapped to my third battery and had the same issue.  Also if I wait about 30 minutes, I can fly with no restrictions on the same battery that originally caused the problem. And sometimes, after landing and taking off again, it works, which I did try 3 times on the attempt yesterday, and wasn't successful.
2020-12-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kcahill76 Posted at 12-3 07:01
Thanks, but it doesn't matter the battery I used, I've swapped to my third battery and had the same issue.  Also if I wait about 30 minutes, I can fly with no restrictions on the same battery that originally caused the problem. And sometimes, after landing and taking off again, it works, which I did try 3 times on the attempt yesterday, and wasn't successful.

oke, mayby some more info in your flightlogs.

If you like upload using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2020-12-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kcahill76 Posted at 12-3 07:01
Thanks, but it doesn't matter the battery I used, I've swapped to my third battery and had the same issue.  Also if I wait about 30 minutes, I can fly with no restrictions on the same battery that originally caused the problem. And sometimes, after landing and taking off again, it works, which I did try 3 times on the attempt yesterday, and wasn't successful.

See this, msg only short visible.

MM2 is flying in a restricted area, well   that is what i thinks....

cheers
JJB
Image 1.png
Image 2.png
Image 3.png
2020-12-3
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

JJB* Posted at 12-3 07:15
See this, msg only short visible.

MM2 is flying in a restricted area, well   that is what i thinks....

I've tested this well outside of any warning zones and had the same issue.  And I can fly in this zone on the first battery, with no issues, until I do the battery swap.
2020-12-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

kcahill76 Posted at 12-3 07:19
I've tested this well outside of any warning zones and had the same issue.  And I can fly in this zone on the first battery, with no issues, until I do the battery swap.

i know you can....you told me so   but your MM2 thinks different.
So what is changing after a batt swap?  MM2 is switched off and on again. (quickly done)
But in in your video i see first bad GPS signals, wich is bit weird as MM2 don`t need more time to search for sats as it knows where they are....

What if you swap batt and wait longer time for take-off?

well  curious what is in the log about this malfuction.

cheers
JJB

2020-12-3
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

ok - here are the log files

Flight Logs - https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KPU2GI2OF0OSF8NE0XB6/#

I get this error on the height, but nothing on the distance.
/fpv_tips_nfz_flying_touch_height_limit_zone_top+Max altitude reached (Altitude limit: 30 m)!120948DFlight altitude restricted. Log in or go to real-name authentication!

2020-12-3
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I am very new to drone flying so forgive me if what I suggest is rubbish, but when you insert 2nd battery, can you then go into settings and adjust height and distance parameters.
Excuse my inexperience if this has been tried already.
2020-12-3
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

yogi053 Posted at 12-3 08:55
I am very new to drone flying so forgive me if what I suggest is rubbish, but when you insert 2nd battery, can you then go into settings and adjust height and distance parameters.
Excuse my inexperience if this has been tried already.

The height and distance are set well beyond the limits I hit, but always a good thing to check!
2020-12-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Your flightlog shows that you are flying inside a Warning Zone bc of the airport.
But DJI zone map shows that you are outside that corridor.

Even so, doesn`t give an explanation that the limitation is there only after a battery  swap.

if you have flown at other locations too with the same result....imo tech wise a battery has nothinbg to do with GPS positions, yes / no in an warning area.

Hope that DJI can help you out.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-12-3
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

JJB* Posted at 12-3 11:20
Hi,

Your flightlog shows that you are flying inside a Warning Zone bc of the airport.

Thanks very much for taking a look. I'll reach out to DJI Stephen for further help!
2020-12-3
Use props
kcahill76
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-30 20:02

Hi DJI Stephen,  I've uploaded a video of a screen recording that I've taken after swapping batteries and getting the flight restrictions.  I've also included the log files for that flight.  I'm hoping you can take a look and let me know your thoughts.
2020-12-3
Use props
AdmBenson
lvl.4
France

Interesting case. I have sometimes this issue with a Mavic Pro in good conditions (good GPS signal, no warning zone, no limitations in the app etc...). I've no explanation. Sometimes it disappears after an ON/OFF.
2020-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules