NO SIGNAL and fly away
2358 19 2015-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

The No Signal is not a glitch.

I’ve flown a few flights where I got the No Signal warning, it would correct itself or go on/off within seconds. All of these were within LOS at 1,700' maxdistance. I had one flight last 4 mins with No Signal on the whole time yet I retain full camera control and drone commands. Another note, RTH neveractivated on these occurrences,  which is a feature that normally does when signal is normally lost. I’ve performed 3 Advanced EMU calibrations sinceseeing these No Signal warnings. None of them made the warning go away. So I shrugged it off as a safe glitch.

Two days ago, I experienced a Fly Away due to this No Signal Glitch. I have already e-mailed DJI support (waiting for their acknowledgement). I have 2 Flight Records to prove my story here:

My first flight was successful and full control. My route was to from a wideopen dirt field. Fly toward a grassy area by a near-by park lake and takepictures of lake. My location is on outskirt of city, Kp was at 3, full GPSsignal. I did compass calibration prior to first flight.. all my usual preflight check list.

Upon landing and changing to a fully charged battery I took drone back out to 400’ 200’ altitude. Half way getting there the No Signal warning came on. As it wa sapproaching the spot I tried to ease up on thrust but it was not responding. Drone just kept going. I tried turning right and left to no response. I reversed but it did not obey. I switched to ATTI, heard the TX’s audio, tried reversingagain, didn’t seem to respond so I put it back to GPS hoping it has corrected itself. Nope. Now the drone is flying on its side. Looping further away but coming close to farmlands. I hit RTH but there was no audio confirmation nor did it do it’s fail safe altitude rise… basically there was no stopping, it would fly backward now.

Long story short, I realized drone would respond somewhat to Yawing even though it would fly on left-side or back-ward as it chooses. So I used the its red/green lights as a guild  to YAW it toward me … when it flew different direction I would adjust.  Slowly I had it coming back toward me which was good since battery was under 55%. It passed by me about 100’ since it would not stop… I had to make a decision to keep fighting it and risk it flying away   or kill its motors on dry land at 200’ it’ll prob start a fire on impact. It was there I tried the RTH feature and my prayers were answered, I heard the audio AND saw the drone stopped, rose to its FailSafe settings and make its way tome.  The No Signal was still lit but I could, now, control it by gentle left/right moves. I quickly lowered it and went over to turn off battery.

Please take my heed and BE CAREFUL !!! Come on DJI respond, fix this. I’m grounding my i1 until then.

sample12.jpg
2015-6-29
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What device and app are you using ?

Regards
Mike.
2015-6-29
Use props
jerome.davis
New
United States

I kept getting the No Signal warning yesterday myself. I've had nothing but problems since I've updated to the latest firmware version (v1.2.1.06). The video range is shorter, the video feed is glitchy and 1 of my controllers will not even update and will not show video at all. I was told to send it in. I'm a iPhone/Android developer can you imagine having to send in your phone for every update? I'm holding off sending in my controller because I'm hoping the next update will fix this and some other problems. After reading your story, I think I'll hold off from flying too until there is an update.
2015-6-29
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

RTH will not turn on, because you loss video feed. You need to lose RC feed and not have any control over the bird for RTH to turn on by itself.
2015-6-30
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Wow ... you really saved that situation by keeping your "cool" ... well done!

I had similar behavior happen to me in the simulator ones ...

I wonder what would have happened if you had turned the TX off completely and restarted it - Would it then rebind to the inspire or not ?
As microsoft tought us ... most software glitches is solved by "re start" ...

2015-6-30
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

I seen this behavior with mine but not losing signal just lose of control and GPS didn't hold.  The yaw was about the only thing that did work.  I am hoping a firmware update will address this. I see few other have this problem.  Not all the time but every once and awhile.
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-30 19:28
RTH will not turn on, because you loss video feed. You need to lose RC feed and not have any control ...

What?

Under normal situation you CAN activate RTH.. people do it all the time if they are lazy. And technically, I did lose RC feed - there was NO response from controller.
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-6-30 05:04
What device and app are you using ?

Regards

I been flying with 1.2.1.06 firmware since May 29 - about dozen successful flights. No issue.
The No Signal thing just been happening the past 5-7 flights. All various in its duration and effect.

I was using HTC M9 when this occur. However, I have borrow my buddy's Air2 and Shield since I first noticed the No Signal a few weeks ago... they didn't help. I was getting that on them also.
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

jerome.davis Posted at 2015-6-30 10:47
I kept getting the No Signal warning yesterday myself. I've had nothing but problems since I've upda ...

Yeah DJI responded with a RMA time frame of 6 weeks... ugh there goes my summer plan of hitting the coast.
2015-6-30
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
United States

tysteryang@yaho Posted at 2015-7-1 03:50
What?

Under normal situation you CAN activate RTH.. people do it all the time if they are lazy. A ...

You never said you turned it on, you said.....( "Another note, RTH never activated on these occurrences,  which is a feature that normally does when signal is normally lost")  which implies you never started it yourself
2015-6-30
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well done keeping your cool in an Uncool situation - glad you got it back and thanx for the warning
2015-6-30
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

tysteryang@yaho Posted at 2015-7-1 03:55
I been flying with 1.2.1.06 firmware since May 29 - about dozen successful flights. No issue.
The  ...

Seems like every time I see people having issues with the app it's with Android devices. Feels like DJI concentrates first and foremost on iOS (suits me but sucks for everyone who's Android centric).

Is DJI replacing it under warranty / no cost? The M9 isn't a supported device so it would be cool to know they were going to take care of you.
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-7-1 09:31
Seems like every time I see people having issues with the app it's with Android devices. Feels like ...

What part of "However, I have borrow my buddy's Air2 and Shield since I first noticed the No Signal a few weeks ago... they didn't help. I was getting that on them also."

I did try iPad Air2 on some previous flights and was STILL getting the No Signal warning.

50+ successful flights on Android prior to these past 2 weeks... I can say it's not my M9.
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-7-1 09:16
Well done keeping your cool in an Uncool situation - glad you got it back and thanx for the warning  ...

Mobile Device System Requirements: Android version 4.1.2 or later.

That's from DJI website.. which the M9 is.
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-1 08:35
You never said you turned it on, you said.....( "Another note, RTH never activated on these occurr ...

Actually I did say it in 4th paragraph, last 2 sentences:

" I hit RTH but there was no audio confirmation nor did it do it’s fail safe altitude rise… basically there was no stopping, it would fly backward now."

But it was a long read so you may have missed it lol
2015-6-30
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-1 08:35
You never said you turned it on, you said.....( "Another note, RTH never activated on these occurr ...

"Another note, RTH never activated on these occurrences,  which is a feature that normally does when signal is normally lost") that was referring to previous flights which I had flown and the No Signal was on but I was still getting video feed and total control. That is why I mentioned RTH never activated on previous (successful) flights. And that is also why I chalked it up to it being a safe glitch in software.

Sorry for confusing you.
2015-6-30
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
United States

tysteryang@yaho Posted at 2015-7-1 11:19
"Another note, RTH never activated on these occurrences,  which is a feature that normally does wh ...

no worries... just trying to help...good luck!
2015-7-1
Use props
Tommyxx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33898 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Come e possibile un mezzo che costa un botto con questi problemi..
2015-7-1
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

tysteryang@yaho Posted at 2015-7-1 11:12
Mobile Device System Requirements: Android version 4.1.2 or later.

That's from DJI website.. whi ...

Also from the DJI website:

Android Version v1.2.0. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z3, Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini. (Note: Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.)

Which strongly implies "Android 4.1.2 or later running on the following supported devices".

To be clear, I'm not saying your device was the issue. I am saying that DJI seems to be the kind of company who won't honour your warranty service because you were using an unsupported device. Hoping it works out for you.
2015-7-4
Use props
tysteryang
lvl.1
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-7-5 04:30
Also from the DJI website:

Android Version v1.2.0. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible wit ...

I'm thankful DJI isn't as limited as you keep insisting lol FYI:  (Note: Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.) Basically, it's supported despite your naysay.
2015-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules