764 10 2020-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr. Failov
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11500197 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Hi! I'd like to inform development team about found problem with Mavic Air 2, which doesn't exist in Mavic 2 and Mavic Mini (first generation).
I discovered interesting problem with Mavic Air 2: when I manually fly drone backward (only back movement without any other commands), drone flies not in straight line.
Forward flight is perfectly straight.
Backward flight is curved.
Test case: manually fly forward 300m, and then manually fly backward 300m, drone returned in different location.I tested in city, height is 40m. For 300m forward-back flight I got 50m off from starting point.
This problem exists in ~90% of tests.
My assumption is that magnetic field interference affects flight.
IMU calibrated before tests.
Compass calibrated before tests.
Remote controller sticks calibrated before tests.
Vision sensors calibrated before tests.
Problem persists in different locations.
Flying in obstacle-free path.
APAS setting is set to "breaking".
Tested about 3 different Mavic Air 2's, all of them had this problem.
Firmware version of tested Mavic Air 2's is 01.00.0460.
No other noticeable problems while tests wasn't detected.
Firmware refresh don't solve problem.
Also noticed this problem with Mavic Mini 2, all symptoms are the same.
Also tested Mavic 2 Pro, forward and backward flight are perfectly straight, Mavic 2 Pro don't have this problem.
I attached 4 screenshots of test results for next drones: Mavic Mini 2, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Mini 2, Mavic 2 Pro.
If you need more information, or more tests about this problem, pls, email me: drfailov21@gmail.com
IMG_20201206_213225_097.jpg
IMG_20201206_213221_542.jpg
IMG_20201206_213217_808.jpg
IMG_20201206_213207_525.jpg
2020-12-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just did a simple test in 3 directions. It appears the MA2 goes slightly downwind on outbound and return each time. I'm not sure that is a problem though. It is not doing an RTH or anything like a waypoint. It's just going in the direction pointed and the wind will affect that. Is the M2P doing something exceptional to account for the wind?
2020-12-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have also found that there is a curvature on backwards sometimes.  And it only seems to appear at a critical times when I want to back up in an area with obstacles that I have lined up not hit.  Maybe it is just Murphy's Law and not a DJI issue.
2020-12-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

My results are mixed with some outbound legs being curved and others not. But all 4 routes resulted in the inbound leg in reverse being displaced downwind. I suspect the wind was less of an effect in some legs (over land or water). Also, the route on the lower right was at least 25 feet higher, so more wind?

2020-12-6
Use props
Dr. Failov
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-6 14:53
I have also found that there is a curvature on backwards sometimes.  And it only seems to appear at a critical times when I want to back up in an area with obstacles that I have lined up not hit.  Maybe it is just Murphy's Law and not a DJI issue.

Also to mention, I flied in obstacle-free path, and APAS setting set to "braking", so in normal conditions Mavic have no reason to fly in other than straight line.
Did you noticed such behavior in field or in city? My tests was in city at 40m height. My assumption is that some magnetic interference existing, but Mavic 2 Pro doesn't affected by them at all, only Air 2 and Mini 2 affected.
2020-12-7
Use props
Dr. Failov
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

GaryDoug Posted at 12-6 15:13
My results are mixed with some outbound legs being curved and others not. But all 4 routes resulted in the inbound leg in reverse being displaced downwind. I suspect the wind was less of an effect in some legs (over land or water). Also, the route on the right was at least 25 feet higher, so more wind?

[view_image]

Interesting results. In your tests backward flying curvature is not so noticeable, only right bottom path looks like mine, forward flight is perfectly straight, and backward slightly curved.
Is your mavic returns in the same point from where it started?
I assume, I got more curved line because of flying in the city and have more magnetic field interference. My height in tests is 40m.
Interesting that Mavic 2 or Mavic Mini (first generation) is not affected by backward flying curvature.
I think this is result of new software architecture DJI used in Mini2 and Air2, they're very similar.
2020-12-7
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Dr. Failov Posted at 12-7 12:25
Also to mention, I flied in obstacle-free path, and APAS setting set to "braking", so in normal conditions Mavic have no reason to fly in other than straight line.
Did you noticed such behavior in field or in city? My tests was in city at 40m height. My assumption is that some magnetic interference existing, but Mavic 2 Pro doesn't affected by them at all, only Air 2 and Mini 2 affected.

I have tried it in an open field and also in an urban environment.  My height was between 10-50m when trying to diagnose the problem.  The problem does not occur consistently and I have also turned off APAS all together when testing.  I doubt it is related to magnetic interference.  My assumption based on the consistency of the cure is it is a programatic error that DJI will hopefully resolve in the next firmware update.  Also, there was virturally no wind.
2020-12-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dr. Failov Posted at 12-7 12:37
Interesting results. In your tests backward flying curvature is not so noticeable, only right bottom path looks like mine, forward flight is perfectly straight, and backward slightly curved.
Is your mavic returns in the same point from where it started?
I assume, I got more curved line because of flying in the city and have more magnetic field interference. My height in tests is 40m.

"Is your mavic returns in the same point from where it started? "

No, they were not. Notice the last point in each return is always downwind of the home point. The distance was about 10-30 feet depending on the route direction and length. I believe that is to be expected since the drone is not doing anything programmed but just going in the direction pointed and being offset by the crosswind.

I don't see why magnetic interference would be involved here. You were not flying a set compass direction, just the direction the drone happened to be pointing. Much more likely it is just being affected by the wind and some differences in preformance by going backwards. It looks like your routes were between a group of buildings and the wind could have been swirling around inconsistantly. Was the M2P test done on the same day and approximate time?

2020-12-7
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I wouldn’t think that wind is a factor in the flight path since the drone is expected to hold its position based on GPS information and only move in response to specific stick input. Even if there is a 15 MPH crosswind directly from the side, the MA2 should stay in place if the sticks are centered, and move directly forward if the right stick is pushed forward.
2020-12-7
Use props
djiuser_GnsPdotjYI2W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2149511 ft
United States

Interesting observation. I have seen my MA2 curve slightly on a long flight in strong crosswind. RTH is always a straight line. I  rarely fly backwards for long distances, so have not noticed this.

Have you tried sideways flight?

Also, are you sure you are not pushing the right stick to the side? I occasionally do this without noticing.

I'll test this out next time I fly.
2020-12-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

"I wouldn’t think that wind is a factor in the flight path..."

And yet the tests prove otherwise, always deviating downwind.

2020-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules