How frequent you loose GPS signal
949 7 2015-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ceki.gabay
New

Turkey

Hello,

I have lost twice in last week. Luckily, I just have broken props and a small scratch on top. Is it normal? Is is because of weak reception on my area (Turkey)? Or do I have to check something else?

2015-6-29
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

This link will provide forecast information including GSP Satellite availability - enter your location to see results for your area:
http://www.uavforecast.com/
2015-6-29
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

Sounds like you are in a bad area of gps. i wouldn't recommend you to keep flying in that area if it continues as its a great way to crash your p3.
2015-6-29
Use props
sudiste
lvl.2

Monaco

The P3 uses GPS and GLONASS i can't imagine that there are regions with permanent insufficient amount of Sats (except the North/South polar region)

If you turn on the Bird how many GPS satellites are reported?
If you have less than 8, it may be possible that the Cable towards the GPS Antenna has slightly lost contact to the connector, or the GPS Antenna is broken.
Here a video that shows how to open (you loose warranty)
2015-6-29
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Practice flying in ATTI.....  
2015-6-30
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-6-30 16:35
Practice flying in ATTI.....

Exactly, I anyone is going to fly these things you need to know and practice flying in all modes and different "What IF" scenarios. These birds fly just fine without GPS if you know what you are doing. Don't become dependent on all the automation as it will fail and you have to actually fly the bird. I have several other quads that are manual flight only that i am always practicing with. It's fun and challenges your flight skills.
2015-6-30
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

My reply was a bit short before, was on a tablet. :-)

I've not ever seen my P3 loose GPS signal, but I've I'd expect I would during the high solar activity we've just had, but I the one flight I did have when the K was over 5 was in ATTI mode from takeoff to landing, taking some photos of a neighbours house...  

As P3PO said, practice flying in ATTI mode, it's good fun, and a challenge..  If you've never flown a 'manual' quadcopter or another R/C model you should start off at eye height, on a day with light winds.  Practice holding the P3 over a spot on the ground, and moving about, slowly.  Make sure you know where the switch is to switch back to GPS mode quickly, it'll lock the Phantom in position if you get worried about where it's going...  

The Phantom is _very_ easy to fly in ATTI mode compared to many multi-rotors, give it a go, it's a useful skill and may save your Phantom. :-)
2015-6-30
Use props
ceki.gabay
New

Turkey

Speacial thanks to all of you guys. Your replies are very helpful.

Thanks for the link. I check with my area. Seems it is ok and enough. However, I check the place where I lost signal with a garmin and iphone and signals are lowering drammatically. I think, although is an open area the existance of tall buildings around (over 150meters.) causing this. But signal losses was just in a minute after take-off. If I could manage to reach higher altitudes most probably I would avoid the crash.

Yes, experiencing in ATTI mode is a prerequisite I guess. I am new on P3. I had smaller and cheap toylike drones before. I did not trust myself to use in manual mode. I will do some more tryouts in suitable areas.

Sudiste. thanks for the video. However, I do not think I will open P3 for a while unless I need to open. By the way it is a very good and informative video.

2015-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules