DJI Mini 2 Propellers Collision with Room Wall
8068 17 2020-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 212546 ft
Pakistan

Hi everyone last week I bough DJI Mini 2. I am new to this product. Everything was perfectly fine last night by mistake I turn it on in my room
and suddenly it have collision with my room wall. There are some slight scraches or marks you can say, on propellers. I am attaching the photos of propellers and the wall where it collide. Please can any one help me
to see what needs to be done after collision it stopped. Then I turn  it on again and started working normally. But still I feel there is something that needs to fix here.

And one more thing when ever I turn it on its not in it same place like when ever it takes off it suddenly moves slightly why is that ? Tho I don't touch the control buttons.
And is it worth it to buy propellers from Ali Express as in my country they are not available.

close up

close up

Front propellers left

Front propellers left

Front propellers right

Front propellers right

Wall

Wall
2020-12-8
Use props
fans22d991ef
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064308 ft
Saudi Arabia

Hello, I’d replace the propellers , and for the drifting, do an IMU Calibration. Try it out in an open field with good GPS connection 10+ satellites and check the drifting then.
2020-12-8
Use props
spawacz_rider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670594 ft
United Kingdom

If you are flighting at home it will not connect to GPS so it will be limited in how stable it can hold position. Mini 2 have 2 sensors on the bottom of the aircraft they are design to help maintain stable position when there is no gps signal but they don't always work perfect, you need to have good light and the flor or the surface you fly above need to have some kind of the pattern, otherwise it will struggle to maintain stable hover.

And yes you defenetly need to paint that wall now
2020-12-8
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Do Not, I repeat Do Not do an IMU calibration.

Make sure you do a compass calibration outside in the open air.

Do not fly indoors if you have a partial satellite fix. Partial will cause untold problems with its location.

You can fly indoors and it is very stable. But you must make sure that the area is well lit.

If you are a novice pilot then do not attempt to fly indoors.

If you start picking up satellites while flying indoors. Land and give up.

2020-12-8
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

Usually if there is no GPS at all, there is no issue, the problem is when they are few satellites, enough for the drone to think it know the position, however it is highly inaccurate inside.
I have flown inside with no GPS and with black tape on the bottom sensors (for attitude mode), with pretty much no unexpected moving.
The most 'unexpected' sudden moves I have experienced are when moving the drone from open area directly inside the apartment thru the window or from the inside to the outside.

The "Fly with caution" messages on the app needs to be taken seriously. If you want to fly with unstable positioning (bad lighting, poor gps), you need to be on the sticks all the time to be able to correct the fly path.
Breaking a propeller or scratching the wall is not big of an issue, compared to what damage it will do to your skin in direct contact, so be careful and buy Propeller Guards for your own safety if flying inside, the drone is marked with age of 16+ for a reason.
2020-12-8
Use props
spawacz_rider
lvl.2
Flight distance : 670594 ft
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 12-8 03:31

Why is that? Can you explain? I mean IMU calibration?
2020-12-8
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

You need to change those props and that's all.

The four calibrations you must perform is compass, IMU, camera stabilizer and controller. IMU and stabilizer are better performed on leveled surfaces (you can check the level with any level app frp the playstore).

When you see the mini acting strangely just perform those calibrations again, it takes only about 2 minutes.
2020-12-8
Use props
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Pakistan

Thank you so much guys I am very happy to see so many suggestions and help I will follow the instructions and will do accordingly, I have also order extra propellers and safeguard from Ali Express I really hope they are original as per them they are original sadly I cannot buy from DJI official website as they don't ship there items to Pakistan.
2020-12-8
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

In most cases there is no (sufficient) GPS reception in the apartment. This means that the drone can only determine its position visually (VPS sensor). If the light in the room is not bright enough, then this system also fails and the drone is in ATTI mode (maybe its causes that, but then there was a warning !). When in ATTI mode, the drone drifts by itself and you have to continually correct the change in position manually. Slight drifting can also happen outside if you start with too few satellites, but this should stabilize after a short time. If it doesn't, then calibrate IMU (only in that case). The propellers seem to have "only" scratches, not a break. It's not that bad, but I would still change them in time.
- if you fly inside make sure that there is enough light
- if you are flying outside, BEFORE you take off, make sure that at least 9 satellites are available (better more)
2020-12-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DJIFan999. We're sorry to read about your unfortunate experience. It is suggested to replace all propellers that have been damaged from the previous flight accident. After that, it is recommended to have it tested outside wherein aircraft can receive enough stable GPS so it can hold its position.  Please check whether there's any warning within the DJI Fly and if the aircraft is flying normally.
2020-12-8
Use props
djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

How could you possibly "by mistake I turn it on", as you stated?! You can't accidentally turn a drone on. And why do people even feel the need to fly indoors? Seems like a silly thing to do and I've never understood why anyone would want to. Like, you can travel a few metres and that's it lol
2020-12-8
Use props
DJIFan999
lvl.3
Pakistan

djiuser_F8NERRlBIjoJ Posted at 12-8 11:33
How could you possibly "by mistake I turn it on", as you stated?! You can't accidentally turn a drone on. And why do people even feel the need to fly indoors? Seems like a silly thing to do and I've never understood why anyone would want to. Like, you can travel a few metres and that's it lol

yeah mate it was a mistake just curiosity I guess haha
2020-12-8
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Always, always, always remove the props if you intend to power up your AC for any reason indoors.
For "updates", settings setting, anything.
You don't want an "unscheduled spin up".....
2020-12-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

bjr981s Posted at 12-8 03:31

WHY?? Firstly I have flown my Mavic 2 inside my house plenty of times without any issues, doing a compass calibration will clear any errors or interference the drone could have picked up from metal objects etc but an imu calibration will keep the drone from drifting. I also would highly recommend changing those props.
2020-12-8
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

spawacz_rider Posted at 12-8 04:18
Why is that? Can you explain? I mean IMU calibration?

The IMU calibration is done at the factory.

It requires some skill and understanding, and the OP is a Noob, and will likely make matters worse.

The first poor advice given to people is connect to your computer and do upgrade, modify this, modify that, Do Calibrations that require a normalised calibrated platform.

I do online support for an alternate drone manufacturer and I spend half my life helping people restore their drone to working order after they follow advice that is invasive, when in most cases its just them not understanding how their drone works.
2020-12-9
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-8 04:21
You need to change those props and that's all.

The four calibrations you must perform is compass, IMU, camera stabilizer and controller. IMU and stabilizer are better performed on leveled surfaces (you can check the level with any level app frp the playstore).

Sorry, and what level surface do you use to calibrate the app you download?
2020-12-9
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

For all you people recommending IMU calibration. Remember that the application either Go4 or Fly will advise if its accelerometers are providing variable results when sitting idle.

If it needs an IMU calibration it will advise you to do one. If not you will most likely make matters worse not not knowing exactly what you are doing.

IMU calibration is a precise invasive procedure and not to be done on a whim.

Cheers
2020-12-9
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

Just tell them that the temperature is a factor for the calibration, and half the people will go to recalibrate

Back in my RC heli days: if it fly it fly, if not change the motor, if propeller is bent, bent it on the opposite. If something is broken glue it, no software.
2020-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules