697 9 2020-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm more into the photography side of things than video. With that said, does anyone use or recommend CPL filters for the MA2? I see there are a few on the market but finding reviews or even review videos on YouTube seems quite challenging. They say they reduce glare and enhance colours. Does anyone have any and can they give me their opinions on them? Also if you have any videos on CPL videos for the MA2 let me know. All I could find are ND ones... cheers!
2020-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there itsdavesdrone. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. I hope that you will get the best recommendations and information from our fellow DJI co pilots who uses the Circular Polarizing Lens ( CPL ) filters on there DJI Mavic Air 2 and where did they purchased the said filter as well. Thank you and have a safe flying always.
2020-12-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

They say they reduce glare and enhance colours.
They can reduce glare and enhance colours ... but only if they are correctly aligned relative to the sun.
If you have the filter properly aligned for a particular shot, it's no good if you point the drone in any other direction.
Not a big deal on a terrestrial camera but near useless on a drone.
So go ahead if you want to plan a shot, set up the filter and get your shot.
But if you want to fly around getting a shot here and another over there etc, forget it because they are more trouble than they are worth.
2020-12-8
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 12-8 21:46
They can reduce glare and enhance colours ... but only if they are correctly aligned relative to the sun.
If you have the filter properly aligned for a particular shot, it's no good if you point the drone in any other direction.
Yeah I was worried about that. They have a circular polariser you can adjust but obviously when you fly around the light changes and the angles change.
2020-12-8
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

They can reduce glare and enhance colours ... but only if they are correctly aligned relative to the sun.

I agree that once set they are only good for that one orientation...and most effective perpendicular to the sun ray direction.  But even if you change to a new heading, won't you still get a minor polarizing effect??? And if not, you wouldn't get a negative effect, would you???

My biggest problem with the CPL is in 360 Pano...the sky ends up with part dark and part light areas.
2020-12-9
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

They can reduce glare and enhance colours ... but only if they are correctly aligned relative to the sun.

Thanks you for the explanation.  Your explanation of the value and clarification of the functional application was the most succinct I have found.
2020-12-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 12-9 08:15
I agree that once set they are only good for that one orientation...and most effective perpendicular to the sun ray direction.  But even if you change to a new heading, won't you still get a minor polarizing effect??? And if not, you wouldn't get a negative effect, would you???

My biggest problem with the CPL is in 360 Pano...the sky ends up with part dark and part light areas.

But even if you change to a new heading, won't you still get a minor polarizing effect???
Do you like uneven, blotchy skies, dark in part and light everywhere else?
That's what causes the problem in panoramas.
Look at the sky in the individual shots that you are stitching.
2020-12-9
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

So basically they are a waste of money/time... ?
2020-12-9
Use props
Red Zeppelin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18286946 ft
United Kingdom

I wish someone would bring out a fixed PL filter for the MA2. I've been using one on the Spark for over a year and it's universally excellent, even for panoramic photos.

I bought a CPL for the MA2 shortly after launch and its totally impractical, as others have mentioned here. After a few frustrating flights, I sold it. I now use VND filters in some situations and get far better results. Save yourself some money
2020-12-9
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Red Zeppelin Posted at 12-9 23:39
I wish someone would bring out a fixed PL filter for the MA2. I've been using one on the Spark for over a year and it's universally excellent, even for panoramic photos.

I bought a CPL for the MA2 shortly after launch and its totally impractical, as others have mentioned here. After a few frustrating flights, I sold it. I now use VND filters in some situations and get far better results. Save yourself some money

Yeah ok fair enough. Cheers
2020-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules