STUPID DJI GEOFENCING JUST LOST ME A CLIENT.
8292 30 2020-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114206 ft
United States

Hello,

I just wanted to throw out there, how ridiculously stupid the new Geo Fencing system is. I was in an area, that was completly clear on Airmap, but for what ever reason, DJI had the area geofenced (for no reason). Rather than giving me the message and letting me accept taking off in the area I was in, the drone refused to take off. I had no interenet, and took almost 2 hours ( with the client mind you) to work through DJIs AWFUL system to unlock the Geo Fence.

This is the most ridiculous setting to have. Manual override should be SIMPLE for PROFESSIONAL USAGE. Why, if I am part 107, do I have to jump through all these stupid, unnessercary, time consuming hoops just to take off a drone?

Thanks to DJI, I've pretty much lost the client. Pretty embarrasing turning up as a drone operator that cant take off for 2 hours.

Any one have any other makes other than stupid DJI that actually allow you to fly??

2020-12-10
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I agree that DJI should use the FAA authorized flight restriction zones and not their own interpretation in the United States.  The choice to do their own restrictions defies logic as a misinterpretation on the part of DJI could lead to a lawsuit if an area is not included and incident were to occur.  

I would pose the issue of the delay to the client as a safety issue that required further unlocking due to the location which was unforeseen.  
2020-12-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

That's why I have never updated anything on my kit for 3 years....
2020-12-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Too bad you got a victim of other peoples stupidity to fly responsible.
2020-12-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Look at the Skydio 2..my friend got one and there is no geo locking in their firmware. They leave it up to you....https://www.skydio.com/
2020-12-10
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

The Fimi X8 has no GeoFencing limitations, and the altitude limitation is 1,500 feet.  Compared to any DJI product, the Fimi X8 is literally "free as a bird".  I own one, and given that I reside time zones distant from any FAA controlled airspace, I routinely fly at 700 feet AGL, anywhere I please, pretty much.  That said, my Phantom 3 Standard is not limited at all, due to my remote location.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... r-Owner-s-Thread-V2
2020-12-11
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
United States

I just made a complaint call to DJI outlining my issues yesterday. I want to add, that the place I was trying to take off from, was Class G airspace. This is a huge mistake on DJI's part. If everyone puts in a call and complains, hopefully DJI will fix the problem!

Please, anyone who is having similar issues, please either call and complain, or leave a message here that hopefully DJI will see, and fix this really dumb issue.
2020-12-11
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-10 12:37
Too bad you got a victim of other peoples stupidity to fly responsible.

I get that, especially for unlicensed pilots. But I don't understand, if you're part 107 why you can't over ride or be exempt from having to submit the flight plan. It would be fine if it worked as easy as Airmap works, But DJIs isn't. Where I was taking off from yesterday was Class G airspace, and DJI had it blocked. I checked it on Airmap (silly me thought DJIs Geo Fencing would be the same) the day before, and as it was class G airspace didn't file anything, because its class G.

2020-12-11
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I usually rely on Autel or sometimes Skydio for commercial work.  
2020-12-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

flyfpv2020 Posted at 12-11 13:38
I get that, especially for unlicensed pilots. But I don't understand, if you're part 107 why you can't over ride or be exempt from having to submit the flight plan. It would be fine if it worked as easy as Airmap works, But DJIs isn't. Where I was taking off from yesterday was Class G airspace, and DJI had it blocked. I checked it on Airmap (silly me thought DJIs Geo Fencing would be the same) the day before, and as it was class G airspace didn't file anything, because its class G.

I totally agree that DJI should implement a quick fix for this.
But they are under great pressure to prevent people flying in these areas and their market is mostly consumers these days so that is probably not high on the list and therefor not  implemented.
2020-12-12
Use props
KenDuke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50837 ft
United States

DJI needs to link with the part 107 database, and in the software to fly your drone, have it ask a question.. Are you Part 107?  If the answer is YES, look up your ID on the database, and approve ASAP of where the flight is.
If the answer is NO, then a pop-up box would show Restricted airspace.  

2020-12-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KenDuke Posted at 12-14 06:30
DJI needs to link with the part 107 database, and in the software to fly your drone, have it ask a question.. Are you Part 107?  If the answer is YES, look up your ID on the database, and approve ASAP of where the flight is.
If the answer is NO, then a pop-up box would show Restricted airspace.

All of which would require you to have cell-phone coverage at the location you are flying at. Many people do not have that.
2020-12-14
Use props
KenDuke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50837 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-14 13:35
All of which would require you to have cell-phone coverage at the location you are flying at. Many people do not have that.

Thats true, but, if you knew you were going to that area to fly, and you checked the day before at home, you would have already setup everything for the day you planned on flying.
2020-12-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to put a little reality into the situation.

Everybody knows that DJI has a geofencing system.  As a professional, take the time to learn how that system works and take responsibility for yourself and your business to not put yourself in a position to be in front of a customer and not know how your tools work.

When I'm doing professional shoots, I always look up FAA details as well as DJI geo zone details before providing a quote to the customer.  These details are important because they dictate how much time I will have to put in on the administrative side to get authorizations before arriving on site.  Once I win the project, unless there are special circumstances that dictate doing it sooner, I will do my authorizations (both FAA and DJI) the day before I'm scheduled to go onsite for the shoot.  

As the saying goes, prior preparation prevents poor performance.  

Although we may not like DJI's implementation of geofencing, once you put down the money to buy one, it is the operator's responsibility to take ownership of it and work within the system they have designed.

Cheers!
BTW, its not a "new" system.  The current GEO 2.0 has been in place for just over 2 years and the original version was implemented about 5 years ago.
2020-12-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would highly recommend you spend some time learning a bit more about the DJI system.  

Here is some info on how DJI has designed their geo zones:
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/introduction

Here is a map you can use ahead of time to do research on the zone your project is located in:
https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2020-12-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 12-15 08:09
I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to put a little reality into the situation.

Everybody knows that DJI has a geofencing system.  As a professional, take the time to learn how that system works and take responsibility for yourself and your business to not put yourself in a position to be in front of a customer and not know how your tools work.

Now there's something you don't see every day - common sense.

2020-12-15
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

No Limit Drones is the answer to your problem. I live on a small island that has a French nuclear power station and blanket NFZ which covers the area. Legally, all I need is the OK from ATC for part of the island and this is willingly given. NLD's software removes all NFZ restrictions and the Mavic Pro is free to fly without any internet connection. It is total freedom. In the years I have been using NLD software my drone has flown faultlessly. I recommend it.
2020-12-17
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 12-17 01:41
No Limit Drones is the answer to your problem. I live on a small island that has a French nuclear power station and blanket NFZ which covers the area. Legally, all I need is the OK from ATC for part of the island and this is willingly given. NLD's software removes all NFZ restrictions and the Mavic Pro is free to fly without any internet connection. It is total freedom. In the years I have been using NLD software my drone has flown faultlessly. I recommend it.

Hell. Yes. This is exactly what I need!!!! F U DJI! I'm getting my old drone back!
2020-12-24
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-15 13:59
Now there's something you don't see every day - common sense.

I hadnt done a shoot with my Mavic in a hot second. Been flying FPV for months. Had no idea that DJI had this geofencing when I arrived on set that morning. I had never had a problem before. Common sense was used. I will reiterate, I was in CLASS G airspace.  

Thank you for your time, but your post in no way helps the situation. Get a life
2020-12-24
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-15 08:09

I have no idea how this is even possible? last time I flew this drone before this incident, was a 2 months ago as I have been flying FPV. I checked Airmap before, was in class G airspace. previously, the drone would just notify me I was in a Restricted area and I would just have to hit accept and it was all fine and dandy (I follow all part 107 rules, I'm not just running around flying in restricted zones).

I generally update the firmware as soon as its available. NEVER have I had an issue where the drone wouldnt even take off

I'm taking alans advice and using no limit dronez to hack the thing so I dont have to put up with this again.  DJI need to stay in their lane.
2020-12-24
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 12-10 10:54
That's why I have never updated anything on my kit for 3 years....

Won't be updating any more!!
2020-12-24
Use props
usered7bb5410e
New
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2020-12-15 08:09

If it were as simple as that I would 100% agree with your sentiment.
However, the bigger problem is that DJI has incorrectly locked down areas which require absolutely no authorization to fly. When you log in to the the Fly Safe Map on your desk top to check the area. It shows as clear to fly. Check Air maps, clear to fly. Drive over an hour and arrive at the shoot.
No Fly Zone Drone Cannot Take Off.

I have been having this problem for over a year with the same county, and several other small pocket areas near me, and I have reported the mistake in their Geofencing System to DJI repeatedly.

The only work around that I have been able to find is to request a Custom Unlock for the date of the shoot. I have to attach screenshots of the area that I have taken at a previous time showing the NO FLY Zone notification and remind them that this is not actually a restricted area. They will then give me a custom unlock authorization for the area that I have to download to the drone.

I have reporting this for over a year and they have done nothing to fix it.
If I have a shoot coming up in a new area where I have never been I have to drive there and check that there are no incorrect restrictions ahead of the shoot or take the risk of not being able to do the shoot the day of. That is a huge loss of time and money in either situation.
2021-1-20
Use props
fans0accb1ea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277995 ft
United States

Granted I was in controlled air space the other day, however I was inside a warehouse with 50ft ceilings and couldn't take off because it was geofenced , I feel as though if I payed DJI 1,600 for a drone way before they implemented geofencing we should have the rights to turn the feature off and on bottom line, so now I'm thinking of setting off a international boycott against DJi, and for people that already own their products such as myself only purchase third party accessories DO NOT BUY DJI PRODUCTS!!!!!!!   
2021-3-1
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Ver6 sorry this happened to you friend
2021-3-3
Use props
djiuser_2P5BeaT6aQgS
lvl.1

United States

New geofencing disallows me to fly over my home, anywhere near my house, or anywhere in my area; I just got the Dji Avata, we scheduled to do a Cinewhoop on Sept 16th, 2022, and of course, I can't take off.
We got permission from the city two weeks before the scheduled event.  We had 12 people scripted and ready to go; we performed several dry (no drone) runs to ensure everyone knew what they were doing.

Humiliating and embarrassing!!
2022-9-17
Use props
fans2979f8b4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296896 ft
United States

There is a app called  Litchi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aryuthere.visionplus
2022-9-20
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

I am shocked that your mention of Litchi is the first such post on this topic.     I would never dream of using DJI Go4, because of all those No Fly Zones, but to ensure that my drone is COMPLETELY free as the proverbial bird on the wing, I also went the whole hog and bought a license with No Limit Drones, which enabled me to terminate ALL NoFly Zones with extreme prejudice.

To the OP, I sayeth verily unto thee, fly with Litchi and free thine self with No Limit Drones.

The Oracle hath spoken, and so it shalt come to pass.
https://nolimitdronez.com/birdmap
2022-9-26
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

This was an old threat, you answer(muttley7) is also an old way, you can now do it free.
https://github.com/brett8883/DJI_Super-Patcher
cheers
2022-9-26
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

dji_MODDER Posted at 9-26 05:34
This was an old threat, you answer(muttley7) is also an old way, you can now do it free.
https://github.com/brett8883/DJI_Super-Patcher
cheers

Well, I'll be dipped.  Free did you say?  That happens to be my favorite word.  This link is appreciated and I owe you a beer.
2022-9-26
Use props
djiuser_n7zAoFxUsKTU
New

Australia

Geofencing should affect only recreational drones owned by non professionals.  Once someone is a licensed pilot, they understand rules, risk and maps;  geofencing is just an element of greater risk and also monetary loss. DJI should adopt a policy similar to SMA's safety policy concerning their PV inverters. In PV inverters, SMA locks the grid parameters and only licensed electricians can obtain a personal code that they use to modify the grid parameters. Similarly, all licensed pilots should be given a  personal code that they can use to disable geofencing once forever in their drones, at least concerning  all the territory of the nation for which they have a valid pilot license. Ultimately, they sell you a product and you should be able to fully own it. Tell me what  car, airplane, helicopter, motorcycle company sells you a product that you fully pay, it is yours, you have a government license to use the product, but you are not always free to use it. Not acceptable.
2023-6-11
Use props
NLapthorne
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Flycaster Posted at 2020-12-10 10:54
That's why I have never updated anything on my kit for 3 years....

Is there a way to reinstall / backdate software versions? I have a Mavic Pro for recreational use (I am licenced and registered), mainly to film and take photos around my property and garden throughout the year. RAF Halton (UK)  is close by and the grass field is only used for occasional recreational flying by local flying clubs so not in use full-time as there are a restricted number of flights allowed. Unfortunately the Geofencing has made my Mavic Pro obsolete.  At home anyway.
4-3 02:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules