Mavic Air2 Switch from ATTI Mode-to-GPS Mode during flight
4106 8 2020-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ejlover
lvl.1

Turkey

Greetings,

I would like to begin my flight indoors (zero satellites: no GPS) and get out of the building during recording with my Mavic Air 2. What will happen when drone connects to satellites and switch into GPS mode? Will I loose control because of automated directional moves? Or will it keep steady so I will not even notice it switched to GPS mode?

BTW, when I am flying indoors (with zero satellite connections) drone does not show ATTI mode on the DJI Fly app as in FlyGo app. And it behaves as it is in GPS mode (auto brakes when I let go the joystics etc.).

What should I be care about when flying from indoors to outdoors and coming back to indoors again? (Except disabling the sensors while getting out and updating the home point to a safe location). There are some suggestions such as making a left and right turns after getting out to calibrate compass for some drones but compass calibration process is not defined like that in the manual of Air2.

Also does the drone tells you when to calibrate compass and IMU? Or should I do it before each flight?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,

2020-12-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only calibrate the IMU and compass when prompted,  also when the compass message is displayed I'll always test from a known good spot before doing it as if there is surrounding metal like rebar in the ground it can cause this message.   
2020-12-15
Use props
ejlover
lvl.1

Turkey

DAFlys Posted at 12-15 01:20
I only calibrate the IMU and compass when prompted,  also when the compass message is displayed I'll always test from a known good spot before doing it as if there is surrounding metal like rebar in the ground it can cause this message.

Thx for the tip

Anything I should worry about getting outside from the building with 0 GPS connection?

Drone Hovers perfectly indoors (probably because of downward sensors). Will it make sudden silly automatic moves when it goes outside? Since there won't be a GPS connection immediately and it will go out from a high building (so down sensors won't detect a floor)??
2020-12-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ejlover Posted at 12-15 23:52
Thx for the tip

Anything I should worry about getting outside from the building with 0 GPS connection?

Yes,  that's how fly aways can happen and RTH won't be accurate.
2020-12-16
Use props
ejlover
lvl.1

Turkey

DAFlys Posted at 12-16 01:10
Yes,  that's how fly aways can happen and RTH won't be accurate.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. What causes fly aways?

Environmental conditions like wind or Drone just goes cray and goes on full power in either direction without reason?

If that's the first case I'm familiar with that from RC Helicopters with no assistance system. The thing I'm afraid of is that drone takes the control of its motors and try to fly by itself with the power from the motors.

I need someone to tell me that drone won't do anything and it's all environmental factors that moves the drone in this case (getting outside flying from indoor area with 0 GPS connection and loosing bottom sensors because of height), so I can fly with confidence
2020-12-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ejlover Posted at 12-16 08:55
That's what I'm trying to figure out. What causes fly aways?

Environmental conditions like wind or Drone just goes cray and goes on full power in either direction without reason?

I think you need a drone that supports ATTI mode so that it won't be switching between sensors and gps,    if you get a weak signal you stand a good chance of a fly away.   
2020-12-16
Use props
ejlover
lvl.1

Turkey

DAFlys Posted at 12-16 23:59
I think you need a drone that supports ATTI mode so that it won't be switching between sensors and gps,    if you get a weak signal you stand a good chance of a fly away.

Any idea what causes these fly aways?

Environmental conditions such as wind etc.?? And drone is not using its power to move around (just keeping stable altitute).
OR
Drone moves by itself unexpectedly for no reason using its engine power?

1st one can be controlled by the pilot. But the second one means that these drones are not reliable since you can not predict what it is doing and will do.
2020-12-17
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

ejlover Posted at 12-17 00:13
Any idea what causes these fly aways?

Environmental conditions such as wind etc.?? And drone is not using its power to move around (just keeping stable altitute).

If you have a Home point saved and your safety settings tell the drone that needs to go to home point...if your GPS enables and fails to save the new Home Point, your drone will kiss you goodbye...
This is why you need to start the drone and fly only after you have a minimum of GPS location...
Or jut put your drone Safety settings in hoover mode if something goes wrong....if you do not use it above water...of course .
But this is not a practice, in practice the drone should corelate ATTI position with GPS position when gets GPS lock...Some experimented this fail and the drone was cooo-cooo...
2020-12-17
Use props
ejlover
lvl.1

Turkey

I did my flight from the 9th floor of 18 floor apartment from the closed balcony (same as a room with a large window) with steel railing etc and high voltage line in window level... It went so smooth without any issues.

I've turned off all front and back sensors on MAvic Air 2 (down sensors are always open can't turn them off). Adjusted RTH to Hover. I reached out of the balcony first to lock some GPS (GPS icon turned orange so it was not giving red ATTI mode message). However it was not on GPS mode either (white GPS signal). Then I put the drone back in the balcony and took of and get out of the balcony. Not a single fly away it didn't even shake

Landed in same fashion without any issues again (in tripod mode with all sensors off).
2020-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules