Is it possible to retrieve a flight log?
7666 17 2020-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_alb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260735 ft
Portugal

I use a cell phone, without an operator network, but with a wifi hotspot. Today when making a flight, I noticed that the flight log was not complete. Is it possible to recover in any way?
Thanks.

2020-12-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The Mavic Air 2 has logs on both the connected device remote control (phone, tablet, smart controller) and also on the drone itself.  Unfortunately, the log files on the drone are encrypted and no public decryption key has been available.  As for the logs on the device they are what they are and there is really no way to get more detailed or complete information.  

If you lost your drone or were experiencing problems you should post the logs from you phone here.  There are some incredible people at analyzing log files that might be able to help.
2020-12-19
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Portugal

I'll try to explain, attaching photos taken from Google Maps and the DJI Fly app. In the first image you can see the start and end points of the flight. However the log is very short, and the flight went to that monument that you can see by the sea. I even have photos taken on top of the monument, so the drone flew there . Strange is not to appear in the log. It was the first time that it happened.

2020-12-20
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Portugal

... nobody to help...
2020-12-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't really spent much time looking at this, but in my experience having weak or no GPS was a factor is having very short logging. Without the GPS, there is nothing to really log for position. But that screen does show 12 sats, so maybe not the cause. I see it looks to be coming out of a bar, so perhaps that explains the memory loss ;-)
Can you post a link to the file or to the data analysis site? Can you offload the dat file in the MCDatFlightRecords folder?

2020-12-20
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Portugal

GaryDoug Posted at 12-20 14:14
I haven't really spent much time looking at this, but in my experience having weak or no GPS was a factor is having very short logging. Without the GPS, there is nothing to really log for position. But that screen does show 12 sats, so maybe not the cause. I see it looks to be coming out of a bar, so perhaps that explains the memory loss ;-)
Can you post a link to the file or to the data analysis site? Can you offload the dat file in the MCDatFlightRecords folder?

Hi,

https://app.airdata.com/share/rpAyrV

2020-12-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It seems to have stopped recording data. Any chance you can get the dat file on the device? I will not be of much help with this so wait for more experienced members to reply.
2020-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

alex_alb Posted at 12-21 12:08
Hi,

https://app.airdata.com/share/rpAyrV

If you are auto-synching to Airdata, it's common to have partial files.
Try getting the txt file yourself and uploading it to Phantomhelp's log viewer.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
2020-12-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

alex_alb Posted at 12-20 02:48
I'll try to explain, attaching photos taken from Google Maps and the DJI Fly app. In the first image you can see the start and end points of the flight. However the log is very short, and the flight went to that monument that you can see by the sea. I even have photos taken on top of the monument, so the drone flew there . Strange is not to appear in the log. It was the first time that it happened.
[view_image]
[view_image]

I think GaryDoug's suggest on GPS and log crashing is a sound one.  But it had 12 satellites.  

I would suspect that the log issue is the result of an errant process in the logging function of the DJI Fly app.  Even when you lose RC signal the log file shows the point of reconnection and the data there after.  If a process in the DJI Fly apps background logging froze, crashed or was suspended it is likely that the process would not be reinitiated mid-flight and may even requiring restarting the DJI Fly app.  

Alex-alb does the issue occur on any other flights?  If no,  I would chalk it up to an anomaly.  
2020-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-20 14:14

in my experience having weak or no GPS was a factor is having very short logging. Without the GPS, there is nothing to really log for position.
Location data is just one of more than a hundred things that's recorded every 1/10th of a second in the flight data.
If for some reason a drone was to lose GPS, data recording continues and all the other data still shows.
2020-12-22
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Portugal

Labroides Posted at 12-22 05:13
If you are auto-synching to Airdata, it's common to have partial files.
Try getting the txt file yourself and uploading it to Phantomhelp's log viewer.

Thank you for your help. The log actually shows the same as the DJI Fly application. It is as if the drone had not flown .
I'll dismiss the case, it's not worth the time.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and help.
2020-12-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-22 20:14
in my experience having weak or no GPS was a factor is having very short logging. Without the GPS, there is nothing to really log for position.
Location data is just one of more than a hundred things that's recorded every 1/10th of a second in the flight data.
If for some reason a drone was to lose GPS, data recording continues and all the other data still shows.

YES you are right again and I stand "corrupted" ... again ;-) I got fooled by Airdata, which shows nothing when you have no satellites throughout the file. Phantomhelp does show the useless map with me in the Gulf of Guinea (0N/0E) and other valid data in a coarse sample. Examination of the csv output file shows the complete record set every 0.1 second.
2020-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alex_alb Posted at 12-23 14:59
Thank you for your help. The log actually shows the same as the DJI Fly application. It is as if the drone had not flown .
I'll dismiss the case, it's not worth the time.

Phantomhelp's site is working properly now.

... where you'll find instructions.

Or just post that .txt file here and we'll see much, much more than Airdata was showing you.
2020-12-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-23 15:14
Phantomhelp's site is working properly now.

What "much more" data? It looks the same to me except that the Airdata site also shows signal strength. Are you referring to the verbose output files?
2020-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-23 19:29
What "much more" data? It looks the same to me except that the Airdata site also shows signal strength. Are you referring to the verbose output files?

I refer to all the data in the csv files
2020-12-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-23 19:39
I refer to all the data in the csv files

OK, but you can't use the site to view that. You would have to download that verbose csv file and view it with a spreadsheet program. Airdata has 6 sections with 3-5 subsections of data...and it can upload dat files while phantomhelp cannot and has none of those sections.
2020-12-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 12-23 20:14
OK, but you can't use the site to view that. You would have to download that verbose csv file and view it with a spreadsheet program. Airdata has 6 sections with 3-5 subsections of data...and it can upload dat files while phantomhelp cannot and has none of those sections.

I do kinda know how it works.
And I kinda know how to use it to see plenty that Airdata doesn't show
But the OP doesn't seem particularly curious to get to the bottom of the mystery he started.
2020-12-23
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-23 20:41
I do kinda know how it works.
And I kinda know how to use it to see plenty that Airdata doesn't show
But the OP doesn't seem particularly curious to get to the bottom of the mystery he started.

Yes, you and I kinda know how it works to use the verbose data to our advantage. But I think it's not fair to tell a less knowledgable person that he can get more data there. If you look at the Airdata site, there is an easy-to-view wealth of information that that other site does not show. For a beginner with little computer expertise, I think that is far better than having the potential to get more data in a more difficult way. Yes, we can do it, but others may not have the ability.

As a hobby, I designed pc software for scanning certain GM car computers because there was simply no good option available at a reasonable price and even then it was difficult to use. So I made a user friendly app and gave it away. Now it is the most popular app in the world for those select vehicles. Simplify, simplify. Should have just said it once ;-)
2020-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules