Lume Cube under Mini 2?
7276 27 2020-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

Hi, I am just about to pick up my first drone (Mini 2) to mainly do night photography. I can see that the Mavic Air and Inspire ranges have specific mounts for lights to be mounted on brackets that do not interfere with sensors and mechanics etc. Nothing like that seems to be made for the Mini 2 (most likely due to it's small size?)

Has anyone mounted a Lume Cube to a Mini 2 sucessfully please? I am thinking of putting it under the body with velcro as I want to shoot down with the light over subjects at night with a camera at ground level on a tripod. Do you think that could work or will it interfere with landing sensors or something else? I need the Lume Cube because it shoots out 1500 lumens (way beyond anything a LCD mini panel can).

Thanks.

George
2020-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have not tried this.
And I'm curious how it will turn out.
The M2 is not a very capable low light camera.

I'm not sure how much a cube can compensate that to make it look good.
(normally images with flashlight don't look too good, so that is my reference point)
2020-12-22
Use props
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 12-22 06:30
I have not tried this.
And I'm curious how it will turn out.
The M2 is not a very capable low light camera.

Thanks for your reply. I am not planning on using the camera in the Mini 2. I'll be placing a medium format digital system on a tripod at ground level and be using the Mini 2 + Lume Cube to light different large objects from above. Like a tree for example. I just need to know if anyone has successfully mounted a light on their Mini 2 at this stage. I need something with at least 1000lumens in strength.
2020-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

georgiemd Posted at 12-22 09:43
Thanks for your reply. I am not planning on using the camera in the Mini 2. I'll be placing a medium format digital system on a tripod at ground level and be using the Mini 2 + Lume Cube to light different large objects from above. Like a tree for example. I just need to know if anyone has successfully mounted a light on their Mini 2 at this stage. I need something with at least 1000lumens in strength.

Oh wow.
That is very creative!
It should be able to handle the weight.
2020-12-22
Use props
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 12-22 10:05
Oh wow.
That is very creative!
It should be able to handle the weight.

Cheers

I just hope it doesn't mess with downward sensors / landing capabilities
2020-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

georgiemd Posted at 12-22 10:41
Cheers

I just hope it doesn't mess with downward sensors / landing capabilities

It will.
Maybe the top will be better.
2020-12-22
Use props
aaceofspades
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27253127 ft
Mexico

I have strobes from Firehouse on my Air2 which doesn't have any mounts. I used the 3M Velcro strips and attached one to the bottom over the built in light to avoid covering any sensors. No problems, but the weight did change the flight dynamics. It's slightly less steady when hovering but the gimbal seems to compensate pretty well.
2020-12-22
Use props
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

aaceofspades Posted at 12-22 10:56
I have strobes from Firehouse on my Air2 which doesn't have any mounts. I used the 3M Velcro strips and attached one to the bottom over the built in light to avoid covering any sensors. No problems, but the weight did change the flight dynamics. It's slightly less steady when hovering but the gimbal seems to compensate pretty well.

Thanks I do think though your strobes are small in comparison to a Lume Cube? Flying dynamics are not really a concern for me because I'll be using the M2 just as a lighting source for my ground based camera.
2020-12-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have strobes from Firehouse on my Air2 which doesn't have any mounts. I used the 3M Velcro strips and attached one to the bottom over the built in light to avoid covering any sensors. No problems, but the weight did change the flight dynamics. It's slightly less steady when hovering but the gimbal seems to compensate pretty well.

attaching one strobe light is not going to change the flight dynamics.  when i put 3 strobe lights on my ma2, i can't tell any difference.

maybe because i attach them to the arms rather than underneath. /s
2020-12-22
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Probably this could interest you.
2020-12-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there George. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Lume Cube  ) for your DJI Mini 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mini 2. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-12-22
Use props
buehlerbg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

Is the velcro easy to remove from the Mini 2 w/o damage?  Thanks.
2020-12-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bear ini the mind the weight of the lume cube,  it may mean you need to register the drone.
2020-12-23
Use props
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-22 19:29
Hello there George. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Lume Cube  ) for your DJI Mini 2. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using this accessory. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mini 2. There is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition, using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.

Thanks Stephen, some very valid points there. It turns out the Lume Cube weighs 99grams which compared to the actual weight of the Mini 2 at 249grams is substantial.
2020-12-23
Use props
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

DAFlys Posted at 12-23 01:33
Bear ini the mind the weight of the lume cube,  it may mean you need to register the drone.

I will only be using this set up in remote areas.
2020-12-23
Use props
georgiemd
lvl.1
Denmark

Cients Posted at 12-22 16:40
Probably this could interest you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcAvDVf1pEE

Interesting! Thanks for that. I am not sure such a small light source can light a tree. I will check it.
2020-12-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

georgiemd Posted at 12-23 05:52
I will only be using this set up in remote areas.

I dont think it matters where you fly for the CAA rules to take affect.
2020-12-23
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-23 01:33

You have to register after Dec 31st 2020 anyway whether it is under 250 gms or not.
If it has a camera and not sold as a recognised toy!
2020-12-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 12-23 08:17
You have to register after Dec 31st 2020 anyway whether it is under 250 gms or not.
If it has a camera and not sold as a recognised toy!

yogi053,  thats a very good point.   
2020-12-23
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-23 08:24
yogi053,  thats a very good point.

I'm new to the hobby/addiction so trying to learn all the time. Cheers, stay safe!
2020-12-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 12-23 08:46
I'm new to the hobby/addiction so trying to learn all the time. Cheers, stay safe!

Tier 4 here,  and trying very hard to stay safe,  just getting frustrated with the amount of people I see not following the rules at all.
2020-12-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

georgiemd Posted at 12-23 05:50
Thanks Stephen, some very valid points there. It turns out the Lume Cube weighs 99grams which compared to the actual weight of the Mini 2 at 249grams is substantial.

Hi there georgiemd. Thank you for the reply and for these information. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Happy Holidays to you and to your family. .
2020-12-24
Use props
AntonyM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101982 ft

United Kingdom

georgiemd Posted at 2020-12-23 05:53
Interesting! Thanks for that. I am not sure such a small light source can light a tree. I will check it.

They can light much more than just a tree :-)

I have been using them to light churches for night shoots.
2021-2-11
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

I would be extremely careful to not block the sensors ... But I like your thinking
2021-2-11
Use props
Harj Singh
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AntonyM Posted at 2-11 09:53
They can light much more than just a tree :-)

I have been using them to light churches for night shoots.[view_image]
Great shot, is this with mm2, if so how did you mount and what’s the flight stability like?
2021-4-1
Use props
H4wk-i
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hey George,
Apart from all the relevant remarks that were made already (Weight, registration etc.) : it can be done. Found this on YouTube. It's in Dutch, but you may find it helpful (watch from 2:20).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2oBwn2CtoA
Regards,
Hans
2021-4-17
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

AntonyM, A very nice photo, and I think the lighting of it to be very good.  Thank you for sharing.
2021-4-17
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Cients, thank you for the video, it was good and interesting.
2021-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules