Major range disappointment Mavic Mini 2
9834 24 2020-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pugsly14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9816 ft
United States

Just got mine for Christmas.  However, as shown in the picture, the range is a major disappointment. Ive watched videos online of people with 15000 ft range in heavy tree and various obstacles. The first time I lost all signal it went around 5000 ft and completely lost connection.  Freaked out and started running in the direction until I regained signal.  Fortunately I think it went into return to home mode. (Not sure because as soon as I lost signal, I started pressing return to home, so unsure if it self returned or finally reconnected). Anyway for some reason that flight log was not listed.  However today I managed to screen shot a near loss of signal at 3500 ft.(its not complete loss, but was dropping fast, so didn't chance any further route)  This is almost farmland with almost zero obstruction.  As shown its mostly grass prairie.  I confirmed latest firmware. Defective?  How do they advertise 10 km (6.2 Miles) range when I can't even get 1?

09F31175-9123-49DD-A87C-0FE110F51889.jpeg
2020-12-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The published range is BS, it is an 'optimum' figure and only achieved in controlled situations. As for your location, the presence or otherwise of trees has little to do with the range, the most significant problem is home WiFi outers competing with the signal from the controller. And looking at that shot, there seemed to be plenty of houses in your area.
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

It also depends on the version you have. The FCC version gives you a maximum range of 10 km, the CE version 6 km. On top of that you have to take in account obsticles containing iron or brick or concrete walls between you and the aircraft. FCC version in the US, Australia, Canada en a few others in South America. In most other parts of the world, like Europe and Asia the CE version is being sold.
Also WiFi routrs, like Geebax already mentioned. Even powerfull microwave beams used for telecomunication can disrupt your signal in an area that is wide open. So, the range stated is the perfect non interupted signal.
Nevertheless, the range of the signal and stability is much better than the range of a WiFi controlled drone.

Test your drone in a different environment. You might get very different results.
2020-12-27
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The range is very much dependent on interference which is not limited to WiFi. At greater heights closer to 400ft you get better signal distance the further you go out.

But the larger issue is if your Mini 2 is a CE version and the locations regulatory priori also for WiFi. This dramatically reduces the power of the transmitter and receiver in comparison to FCC.

Try it in a different location and see if the range is similar.
2020-12-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post your log file and that should tell if there was interference. I get that all the time with a Mini. not as much with a Mini 2. But yesterday, as I was flying the Mini 2 after a speeding boat in an area that I know has busy WiFi activity, I lost comms and it was under 1000 feet away. If I fly the other way, it goes at least a mile so far.
2020-12-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Pugsly14. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2020-12-27
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also make sure your Phone is placed in Airplane mode. This will also help.

I have the CE Version and I am happy with the range I get. To me honest 1000m should be enough for anyone. But Hey Ho
2020-12-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you thought about a range extender -

2020-12-28
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 12-27 20:00
The range is very much dependent on interference which is not limited to WiFi. At greater heights closer to 400ft you get better signal distance the further you go out.

But the larger issue is if your Mini 2 is a CE version and the locations regulatory priori also for WiFi. This dramatically reduces the power of the transmitter and receiver in comparison to FCC.

^ This

It's all about the height, your not going to fly a mile plus at only 200feet altitude unless you were flying the drone above a lake/ocean and the drone remains in a clear un- obstructed view are you able to fly anywhere near that low and still retain distance.  

My mini 1 has made it 4700 feet in my neighborhood but only when flying at max altitude and sometimes higher. (If you fly up an elevation this is the only time it's safe to exceed the 400ft rule) You might be 400ft above from where you took off, but 1500ft away the elevation could of gone up 75-100 feet and while the radio reports 400 you would actually be closer to 300.

2020-12-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-28 01:51
Have you thought about a range extender -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMX88RhhCIw&t=257s

Those at not necessary with Ocusync and are just more trash to find a home for
2020-12-28
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

On CE mode I usually work at 1.5-2.5Km for taking stills, but I've been able to do it even at 3Km. For cinematic video you'll want to be closer, because the stronger the signal the smoother the final video will be and the closer to the subject you'll be able to fly. At long range you usually fly at 60-120m, below that it's easy to lose signal unless you are at the top of a little mountain or simmilar.

Just find a high ground, have line of sight wherever you want to fly, point the controller in that direction, and you'll have perfect connection even at long range.

The Mini 2 long range bottleneck is not the signal, are the batteries. The "safe" range is about 3Km with no wind, on windy days... you have to take in account the extra battery consumption when flying against the wind and also, the wind can change direction midflight, so the safe range i'd say it's about 1.5Km or so.

PS: Remember to set the RTH point correctly, and allways press RTH in the controller asap when losing connection; you can cancel it and continue the flight when you have a strong singal again.
2020-12-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

From my personal experiences, the range of the Mini 2 is close to that of the Mavic Pro (more than enough for me)
I have flown it 2km without issues (in areas without any interference)
2020-12-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-28 05:22
Those at not necessary with Ocusync and are just more trash to find a home for

In the testing he was getting very good results at low altitudes.
2020-12-28
Use props
Pugsly14
lvl.1
United States

What’s CE?  Is that the California thing?  Anyway, I’m in Illinois about 50 miles outside Chicago. Farm and rural for miles.

So as I understand fly higher for longer range?

Thanks, really appreciate all the help.
2020-12-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pugsly14 Posted at 12-28 08:00
What’s CE?  Is that the California thing?  Anyway, I’m in Illinois about 50 miles outside Chicago. Farm and rural for miles.

CE is a European certification. The Drones in the UK and Europe have by Law lower signal power than in the US. We still get Plenty far enough though. This is the same as all RC stuff.

You Yanks always seem to have to have big overkill
2020-12-28
Use props
Pugsly14
lvl.1
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-28 08:08
CE is a European certification. The Drones in the UK and Europe have by Law lower signal power than in the US. We still get Plenty far enough though. This is the same as all RC stuff.

You Yanks always seem to have to have big overkill

I figured there were some Canadians/Europeans with all that crazy metric system range estimate shenanigans.
2020-12-28
Use props
Vasil Raev
New

Bulgaria

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NTNu9r0x0w
I am in  the middle of some of one buildings at the end of the video. It starts at 3km away, and then goes to me. CE in Europe.
Pretty much every apartment in these flats have WiFi, either 2.4 or 5.8. And the 3G,4G,LTE and 5G in the area is covered, And yet the Mini 2 can fly to 3km without any issue.

I had previously own Mini 1, and it loosed signal at 100-200 meters on the 5.8 at this dense area.

The OcuSyncis is really good!

Outside city, the signal last more than the battery, if you push it to the limit you can't return it ;) . If you have issue with the range, you either have defective drone, or you loose direct sight line behind some objects.
2020-12-28
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 12-28 06:07
On CE mode I usually work at 1.5-2.5Km for taking stills, but I've been able to do it even at 3Km. For cinematic video you'll want to be closer, because the stronger the signal the smoother the final video will be and the closer to the subject you'll be able to fly. At long range you usually fly at 60-120m, below that it's easy to lose signal unless you are at the top of a little mountain or simmilar.

Just find a high ground, have line of sight wherever you want to fly, point the controller in that direction, and you'll have perfect connection even at long range.

I am a big fan of flying from elevated point and subtracting the height from the displayed height in DJI Fly app. The range is dramatically better and so is VLOS.
2020-12-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pugsly14 Posted at 12-28 08:00

Flying higher will get you more line of sight if there are tall buildings or trees in between. One time I was getting video dropouts at 1/2 mile until I realized I had a big stand of trees between me and the Mini 1 flying at 150 feet. Went up another 100 feet and no problems. Also the higher you go, the less effect of the WiFi transmitters nearby.
2020-12-28
Use props
djiuser_zNcXuN4AhLGc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 431135 ft
Netherlands

Did you try to put your phone on airplane mode?

I just found out out I should put my phone on airplane mode. Mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, gsm interfere a lot with the signal
2021-11-24
Use props
Rangioran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99049 ft

Australia

Vasil Raev Posted at 2020-12-28 09:39
I am in  the middle of some of one buildings at the end of the video. It starts at 3km away, and then goes to me. CE in Europe.
Pretty much every apartment in these flats have WiFi, either 2.4 or 5.8. And the 3G,4G,LTE and 5G in the area is covered, And yet the Mini 2 can fly to 3km without any issue.

Excellent - thank you!
2021-11-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zNcXuN4AhLGc Posted at 11-24 00:17
Did you try to put your phone on airplane mode?

I just found out out I should put my phone on airplane mode. Mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, gsm interfere a lot with the signal

I never turn mine off and never have any issues with distance...
2021-11-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Vasil Raev Posted at 2020-12-28 09:39
I am in  the middle of some of one buildings at the end of the video. It starts at 3km away, and then goes to me. CE in Europe.

That's a brave flight!!!
2021-11-30
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

What countries accept FCC?
The FCC participates in the following MRAs:
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Telecom MRA.
European Free Trade Association (EFTA) MRA.
European Union MRA.
Inter-American Telecommunications Committee (CITEL) of the Organization of American States MRA.
Israel MRA.
Japan MRA.
Mexico MRA.
United Kingdom MRA.
2021-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules