1621 8 2020-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wacko_66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 216778 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

New to the world of Quads, and this forum - HI!

Had the Mavic Air 2 for a month or so, and got the Smart Controller for Christmas. SC firmware updated itself to V01.00.0820 with no problems, and paired with the MA2 easily.

Yesterday, the SC (DJI Fly 1.1.6) told me the MA2 needed a firmware update, got as far as 99% and failed. No amount of retries were successful.

I have no experience with Android, so am scared to touch anything other than following prompts. Been iOS since iPhone 3G...

I reconnected the MA2 Controller, with DJI Fly 1.2.2 on my iPhone, which updated the MA2 to FW 01.00.0511 successfully.

Went back to the SC, and although it did connect OK to the MA2, it was showing its FW as N/A!

This morning, I was midway through writing this post to ask for advice, after reading everything I could on the Forum, fired up the SC to get version numbers, and it told me there was a Firmware update to V01.00.0860 available.

The installation failed a couple of times at 16% (not sure if this was because it was connected to the MA2, but seemed to resolve when I powered the Quad down).

The latest version seems to see the MA2 OK, and is reporting the correct MA2 Firmware version as 01.00.0511.

The DJI Fly app is now v1.2.2, so at least I don't have to terrify myself sideloading anything!

SO, what started out intended as a cry for help has been resolved, but I thought my experience might help someone else.

All the best,

AJ.
2020-12-29
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

The best way is to use the DJI Assistent on a pc to upgrade a device (drone or controller).

Stock at 16% is typical. Your controller felt asleep. You can set the sleep timer to a longer time or indefinit or touch from time to time the screen of the SC.

Also have patience, it takes a very very long time to go from 16% upto 23% with no steps in between.

2020-12-29
Use props
Wacko_66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 216778 ft
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 12-29 04:50
The best way is to use the DJI Assistent on a pc to upgrade a device (drone or controller).

Stock at 16% is typical. Your controller felt asleep. You can set the sleep timer to a longer time or indefinit or touch from time to time the screen of the SC.

Interesting. Didn't seem to fall asleep. It actually told me it had failed, and gave me the option to retry, which failed again.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and haven't managed to get DJI Assistant to connect to anything yet! (although I think that's Big Sur-related)
2020-12-29
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Wacko_66 Posted at 12-29 05:10
Interesting. Didn't seem to fall asleep. It actually told me it had failed, and gave me the option to retry, which failed again.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and haven't managed to get DJI Assistant to connect to anything yet! (although I think that's Big Sur-related)

Wait a little longer, the connection established here after 20 seconds (iMac 5k with Mojave). I also thought something is wrong. All other devices do not take 2 seconds...
2020-12-29
Use props
ting-ting
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5871467 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wacko_66 Posted at 12-29 05:10

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and haven't managed to get DJI Assistant to connect to anything yet! (although I think that's Big Sur-related)

Use Dji assistant 2 the latest version and make sure to take out the SD card out of the smart controller
2020-12-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Wacko_66. Thanks for reaching out! We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused but glad that it was all sorted out. Should you encounter any trouble updating the remote or aircraft, we advise you to update them separately via the DJI Assistant 2 as an alternative. If there's an update available for the DJI Fly, you can also update it separately by downloading the APK file from our site from your Smart Controller: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2020-12-29
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wacko_66 Posted at 2020-12-29 05:10

Just a little 'heads up' on "Assistant 2 for Mavic" on Big Sur.  I bought a new iMac, transferred the old Mac's data to the new one, had to update Big Sur at the same time, and got all kinds of security alerts following that update.  
I deleted the old version of Assistant 2 for Mavic (0.12) and started the install of the current (0.14).  Big Sur has a number of new download checks that stopped the download and install.  As such, plan on following some of the system prompts (that take you to the System Preferences for Security and Privacy).  
I would try to convey the step by step here, but ... I don't remember them!  All I did was follow the prompts to override the various alerts.
While it took an extra 15 minutes, the outcome was that version .... 0.14 loaded, SC firmware updated, and Fly 1.2.2 from DJI's download site loaded without further issues.
2021-1-4
Use props
djiuser_7EuF0NhEWesX
lvl.1

United States

Wacko_66 Posted at 2020-12-29 05:10

I use DJI Assistent on my iMac with Big Sur , No problems. I have had problems being on wifi any little hiccup in signal will cause a fail. I would recommend using a hard line to the router from your MacBook, if your doing it wireless.
2021-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_7EuF0NhEWesX Posted at 1-6 02:48
I use DJI Assistent on my iMac with Big Sur , No problems. I have had problems being on wifi any little hiccup in signal will cause a fail. I would recommend using a hard line to the router from your MacBook, if your doing it wireless.

I've discovered another nuance that might be attributable to Big Sur's (and iOS14.1) added security checks.  I have a NetGear NightHawk router and it has some of the "standard" (read: long established) security choices (WAP2, etc.).  Particularly iOS doesn't like that 'older' version and will give "weak security" messages when selected or switched to.  THIS is what prevented my new Smart Controller from being Activated, AND now I've noticed that when using Safari (under either of those OS) I cannot sign on to my banking or credit union accounts without being blocked or given security alerts.  
There's more to all that, but way off topic for this forum.  
I mention it only that it's another thing to check in the long list of things that might cause connection failures, whatever the purpose.
2021-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules