1468 20 2020-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am reading a lot of threads about reduced flight time. Please remember that the DJI Mini 2 uses Lipo (Lithium Polymer) Batteries. This type of battery is greatly affected by tempreture. and when cold it is no where near as efficient. This is the same with most batteries but at differing rates

If you are flying in temps of around 1 - 2 degrees C think what the temp of the drone is with all that cold air from the props flowing over it.

So reduced flight times in cold weather is to be expected.

I suspect that cold weather will also affect other aspects of the Drone as well
2020-12-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these information and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. For additional reference I will post a DJI links where in you can get some tips for flying in the cold ( https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ing-in-cold-weather ). Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-12-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always try to keep the batteries warm when its cold weather.
2020-12-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've noticed shorter flight times in cold weather, but happily no other detrimental effects.  I keep the drone and batteries as warm as possible in the car until immediately before the flight, then, on take-off, hover in place for half a minute or so to let the drone " acclimatise" before setting off.  Works for me.
2020-12-30
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

“If you are flying in temps of around 1 - 2 degrees C think what the temp of the drone is with all that cold air from the props flowing over it. “

1-2 degrees C will be the lowest. Wind chill or “air from the props flowing over it” will make no difference to the drone and won’t lower it’s temp below ambient.
2020-12-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lisa3 Posted at 12-30 02:12
“If you are flying in temps of around 1 - 2 degrees C think what the temp of the drone is with all that cold air from the props flowing over it. “

1-2 degrees C will be the lowest. Wind chill or “air from the props flowing over it” will make no difference to the drone and won’t lower it’s temp below ambient.

Well if you say so but I dont think you are correct. Cold air blown over something that is warmer will remove heat from it quicker than if the same temp air is not blown over it.
2020-12-30
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-30 04:00
Well if you say so but I dont think you are correct. Cold air blown over something that is warmer will remove heat from it quicker than if the same temp air is not blown over it.

That wasn't the original question.
If it's 1 or 2 C ambient that will be the lowest temp the drone could be, no matter how much air you send it's way (it can be warmer but that was not part of the original question).
You seemed to imply that the prop blast would lower the temp below ambient or the 1 -2 C reference.

One can not BS physics.
2020-12-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep your drone battery warm until time to fly and that will help.  Don't forget that the cold also has a negative effect on your mobile device battery.  Colder weather definitely means shorter flights.
2020-12-30
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-30 06:13
Keep your drone battery warm until time to fly and that will help.  Don't forget that the cold also has a negative effect on your mobile device battery.  Colder weather definitely means shorter flights.

That would be good advice but I also believe that the IMU needs to be above a temp threshold to operate properly.
I don't know if they use a PTC type heater for the IMU but you will loose the heat quickly from the drone in less heat (colder, ugh) situations.
Keep the drone batteries and controller close to your vest until use.
2020-12-30
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Lisa3 Posted at 12-30 04:35
If it's 1 or 2 C ambient that will be the lowest temp the drone could be, no matter how much air you send it's way (it can be warmer but that was not part of the original question).
You seemed to imply that the prop blast would lower the temp below ambient or the 1 -2 C reference.

Thanks for the insights Karen.
2020-12-30
Use props
fans8caf620b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4511 ft
United States

If you are flying in 1-2 deg C, the drone will not be any colder than 1-2 deg due to the props.  
2020-12-30
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 12-30 12:26
Thanks for the insights Karen.

How cute you called me Karen, best you can do?

2020-12-30
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans8caf620b Posted at 12-30 13:48
If you are flying in 1-2 deg C, the drone will not be any colder than 1-2 deg due to the props.

Careful you might be called Karen.
2020-12-30
Use props
djiuser_LSA2v8XVnCFw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Agreed ...But with the very latest update I’ve noticed less flight time with the mini 2
2020-12-31
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lisa3 Posted at 2020-12-30 04:35

Geesh........... You havn't even got a MM2 so what are you even doing here. You seem to have missed my whole point which was quite easy to understand. As for Physics I am sure I understand more than you
2021-1-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For those that went of on a total tangent and simply want to argue here it is plain and simple.

If you fly when it is cold you will have worse battery performance than when it is warmer.      I await a total twat to come along and pic holes in that statement
2021-1-1
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-1 07:51
Geesh........... You havn't even got a MM2 so what are you even doing here. You seem to have missed my whole point which was quite easy to understand. As for Physics I am sure I understand more than you

You know more about physics, really?
This statement in and of itself proves you don’t “ If you are flying in temps of around 1 - 2 degrees C think what the temp of the drone is with all that cold air from the props flowing over it.”

Is there a heat threshold to batteries, same that there is for lower temps?
I see if that is answered the person responding will be a “twat”

You really are a, ok new year, twat
2021-1-1
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think there's more of a correlation between cold weather than warm weather, but the battery cells cold are going to yield you less flight time because of the time needed to heat up and get started.
2021-1-1
Use props
Bbogus
lvl.1
Canada

It's one of those 'take the good with the bad' scenarios.
Using LiPo batteries in the Mini 2 saved weight while yielding more power, but sadly LiPo's are more susceptible to cold and can't be drained as low as Lithium Ion batteries.
Regardless I think using LiPo's was a wise move, we just have to be aware of their limitations and get the "fly more combo" so that we have 3 batteries to utilize!!
2021-1-1
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Lisa3 Posted at 1-1 08:34
You know more about physics, really?
This statement in and of itself proves you don’t “ If you are flying in temps of around 1 - 2 degrees C think what the temp of the drone is with all that cold air from the props flowing over it.”

Oh go bake some cookies for your hubby Karen, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
2021-1-1
Use props
Lisa3
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 1-1 18:24
Oh go bake some cookies for your hubby Karen, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Ah what’s the matter, mommy issues, little pp, touched by your uncle.
2021-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules