New EU regulation in non-EU Norway. Thoughts and stats.
3350 25 2021-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

And so the registration bobnansa comes to Norway, a non-EU country. The only benefit that I can see, is the unified legal base across the whole of Europe, though it seems there are still some rough spots there.

The registration itself is a money-making machine. You need to pay a fee for the registration itself, which can be performed here:

https://flydrone.no/register

"After paying the fee tou can fly a drone below 250g. For drones exceeding 250g you must complete a course and take an on-line exam".
If you are not a Norwegian citizen or you are younger than 13 years old, you can go through a separate registration process, which does not require the Norwegian personal birth-identification number.

And paying does not stop there. You also need to pay for an insurance, though some companies apparently include drone into their home insurance coverage.
https://nrkbeta.no/2020/12/23/st ... affbart-fra-nyttar/

According to the following article at NRK,
https://www.nrk.no/nordland/nye- ... tilsynet-1.15305851
there are over 400.000 Norwegians, who own one or more drones. Only 6000 are registered. Yet, during the course of 2020 there were only 120 calls from the "concerned citisens" made to the aviation authority, with most of them not being a problem. And there were only 2 accidents. I would guess, that is far fewer, than with bicycles.

The concern for protection of personal data (cameras on the drones) is cited, yet constantly-recording Teslas and mobile phones are far bigger offenders. Even cyclists with a GoPro mounted on their helmets are more likely to shadow you and get good candid footage, than a drone buzzing 100 meters away (so as not to be heard), where your image hardly takes up more, tha 2x2 pixels.

My 3-year-old Mavic Pro is still very much air-worthy, so I'll be registering it and taking the test. Then, I am planning on buying DJI Mini 2, wich falls under the below 250g category. And Tello needs to be registered as well...

One thing for sure, there is a lot of personally identifiable data about citizens going into the government info-stashes, which is a far more worrying development, than an occasional pixel in someone's airial footage that might have been you.

2021-1-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Like you Im thinking of getting the mini 2 before it gets a classification as it appears a legacy mini 2 can fly virtually anywhere but once its classified it will be limited a bit more than today.
2021-1-3
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 1-3 07:48
Like you Im thinking of getting the mini 2 before it gets a classification as it appears a legacy mini 2 can fly virtually anywhere but once its classified it will be limited a bit more than today.

That will not be until 2023, and by that time I hope DJI come up with a <250g remote-identifiable quad.
2021-1-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 1-3 08:38
That will not be until 2023, and by that time I hope DJI come up with a

It can be classified as soon as the EU launch that process.  And when they do it will change category sadly, and I think I want an un marked version than one with a C label.  Current drones all have a version of remote ID,  google dji aeroscope.
2021-1-3
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 1-3 09:54
It can be classified as soon as the EU launch that process.  And when they do it will change category sadly, and I think I want an un marked version than one with a C label.  Current drones all have a version of remote ID,  google dji aeroscope.

Then I must admit I do not see the reason for that C-label. I thought it was related to remoteID of the aircraft.
2021-1-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's all about a)Money-spinning for the government, and b) Trying to hound hobbyists out of the air.
2021-1-3
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Blériot53 Posted at 1-3 12:52
It's all about a)Money-spinning for the government, and b) Trying to hound hobbyists out of the air.

I am not sure how effective the second point will be, but the first point is definitely a money grab.
I have now dug up my insurance policy an confirmed that it covers "responsibility". So I went ahead and paid to the Airspace Administration for the privilege to fly. the button is even called "Pay", and not "Register".

It turns out the payment to the is an annual affair and costs NOK180 (€17.25 or $20.63) a pop to get your 20-character pilot id. Seeing as the payment is personal, if your wife or your child want to fly the same drone, they too need to open up the purse, sorry, register.

Given the numbers that NRK provided above, and assuming that about half of the households will want to pay for two pilots, we have the following estimates: 400,000 * 1.5 * 180 = 108,000,000 NOK (or about €10,353,300 or $12,378,400) each year. Or more.

2021-1-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 1-3 09:54
It can be classified as soon as the EU launch that process.  And when they do it will change category sadly, and I think I want an un marked version than one with a C label.  Current drones all have a version of remote ID,  google dji aeroscope.

According to this page from the Norwegian aviation authority, 01.01.2023 is set as a definitive cut-off date for legacy drones, so it does not look like they will be outlawed before that
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/dro ... verk/apen-kategori/
In Cat A1 you can fly drones that came to market before that date, and you can also fly sub-500g drones in that category. After that they fall under cat A3
2021-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 1-3 12:48
Then I must admit I do not see the reason for that C-label. I thought it was related to remoteID of the aircraft.

The legacy rule is done on drone weight,  under the classification its done on maximum takeoff mass (MTOM).
2021-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 1-4 02:03
According to this page from the Norwegian aviation authority, 01.01.2023 is set as a definitive cut-off date for legacy drones, so it does not look like they will be outlawed before that
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/droner/nytt-eu-regelverk/apen-kategori/
In Cat A1 you can fly drones that came to market before that date, and you can also fly sub-500g drones in that category. After that they fall under cat A3

Well. If it weighs over 500g its A3 regardless now.
2021-1-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Listening through the on-line course. It seems night operations are now allowed provided you have light on your drone. While from the 1st of July 2022 the drones will be required to have a green strobe light for night operations.
Why green, though? It's the light source with least visible range. White has the farthest reach, followed by red. (My Mavic Pro is equipped with two white strobes (top and bottom, and the red-green nav lights on the rare arms, which help a lot during day-time flying)
2021-1-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 1-4 02:22
Well. If it weighs over 500g its A3 regardless now.

If you take a physical exam at a traffic station, you can fly a legacy quad in Cat A2 up until that date
2021-1-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 1-4 02:21
The legacy rule is done on drone weight,  under the classification its done on maximum takeoff mass (MTOM).

Strange that C1 can not fly above people, but C2 is expressly cleared to fly near people in A2
2021-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 1-4 02:41
If you take a physical exam at a traffic station, you can fly a legacy quad in Cat A2 up until that date

Its cheaper to buy a new drone that can fly in the loop hole legacy category under 250 grams.
2021-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 1-4 02:46
Strange that C1 can not fly above people, but C2 is expressly cleared to fly near people in A2

Indeed, the new rules are not well thought out.
2021-1-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 1-4 00:29
I am not sure how effective the second point will be, but the first point is definitely a money grab.
I have now dug up my insurance policy an confirmed that it covers "responsibility". So I went ahead and paid to the Airspace Administration for the privilege to fly. the button is even called "Pay", and not "Register".

It's a mere £9 sterling per annum per person here in the UK.  However in France, where I live most of the time, it's FREE.
2021-1-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Taking the multiple choice test of 40 questions. Some of the proposed answers are quite exasperating, like what you should if the surface for your take-off is not flat enough. It depends! The options being: toss it to start (a yes for a Tello with hand-launch), use a launchpad (a yes, if by "not flat enough" they mean rough, grassy terrain), or I should not start the flight at all (a yes, if the terrain is slanted).
And there were a couple of other such conditional answers before. Plus a couple of questions that were not covered in the course (how is a camera mounted in a fixed-wing aircraft - wouldn't that depend on a model?). I just hope I get the required 75%

Argh! By the time I came to the 20th question, a pop up came up saying I'l be logged out in 5 minutes. After clicking on stay logged in, it cleared all my answers to the previous questions, while continuing to stay at #20.

And done! Passed at 80% with the certificate valid until 2026

2021-1-4
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

One GDPR question, that had a painfully-obvious correct answer, but which premise ruffled me against the proverbial feathers:

Why is the GDPR important to take into account when taking pictures or video with the drone?
- To avoid that people are photographed without permission in a way that makes it possible to identify them on the pictures.

Over the past 3 years I probably came across 4-5 other people's drones flying within audible distance from me. On the other hand (before COVID) I ended up on other people's selfies in their phones, GoPro recordings, and in the video logs of the passing Teslas about 50 times each day.
2021-1-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

To get something clear, you need A1 license to fly Mini/Mini2 because they have a camera so you need to take online course and exam.
It is the same rules for everyone in Europe that I know, and Ian from London's video made it more clear.
And with A1 (Mini/Mini2) you are allowed to fly above a person, but not a crowd. A2 is 150 meters away and A3 far away as possible.

They make flying a drone even more painful with all new rules and regulations. Like where can you fly legally with your Air 2 to get good footage? Atleast you need to be really far away where people tend to take a walk or go hiking.

And about GDPR, this is just bs.. I can take my DSLR with 600mm lens and take pictures of people legally, but my widescreen lens on my Mini 2 is "spying"?
2021-1-5
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

johansenfoto Posted at 1-5 09:57
To get something clear, you need A1 license to fly Mini/Mini2 because they have a camera so you need to take online course and exam.
It is the same rules for everyone in Europe that I know, and Ian from London's video made it more clear.
And with A1 (Mini/Mini2) you are allowed to fly above a person, but not a crowd. A2 is xx meters away and A2 far away as possible.

Correct. The loophole with Mini2 is that it will stay in A1 category after 01.01.2023 (provided they still count the drone weight and not maximum take off weight as the basis for legacy drone classification), while other >250g legacy drones will be relegated to A3. Mavic Pro (700g) will also go to A3 after 01.01.2023, even if you have an A2 exam on your hands.

By the way, you meant A3 in your reply on a couple occasions, but typed A2 ;)

I agree, A3 is too restrictive. Taking a photo like in my avatar will be impossible with A3 - you'd bee too close to a beach, that is classified as a recreational area (even when there are no people there), and is therefore off-limits.

After 01.01.2023 you'll really want to take the A2 exam (costs additional 1000kr or about €100 last time I checked) to be able to use the more solid drones.

And agree on GDPR, too - a drone is the least intrusive of the camera-weilding lot (unless it's a military spy drone). Problem is that the public is fed scare-scenarios by the journalists and film-makers. One of Midsomer Murders episodes had a DJI Inspire (if I remember right) drone spying stealthily after someone from what looked like 10 meters distance. The film makers had music in these scenes, as the actual drone sound would have been deafening...

PS: to be fair, there are a few good additions in the new rules: flying at night is now allowed, and the 120m AGL rule has been changed to 120m away from a solid ground point, so you can fly up and down along cliffs (which there are enough of in Norway)

2021-1-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BumblerBee Posted at 1-6 02:19
Correct. The loophole with Mini2 is that it will stay in A1 category after 01.01.2023 (provided they still count the drone weight and not maximum take off weight as the basis for legacy drone classification), while other >250g legacy drones will be relegated to A3. Mavic Pro (700g) will also go to A3 after 01.01.2023, even if you have an A2 exam on your hands.

By the way, you meant A3 in your reply on a couple occasions, but typed A2 ;)

Yeah I edit my post to mean A3 now.
I wonder what they are thinking about? Like a drone that is really small can not spy on anyone, and is not harmful if you get it in your head.
Maybe it is because they can now regulate all "sport/fpv-drones" that is another game of flying.

And why it is now allowed to fly in the dark is for me just stupid, because you can't see anything while flying and could easily hit other people or animals.

But it is a good thing that people need to be registered and take the online course to be allowed flying, and I really hope they will start controlling people since there is probably less than 10% of all drone owners in Norway that is flying legal now.
2021-1-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Sparebanken
2021-1-6
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

I called IF Skadeforsikring with a similar question yesterday. Had to escalate to the second line of support to get some details, and even then they did not know if the liability coverage was in accordance with the new laws. They promised to investigate and write me back.
2021-1-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BumblerBee Posted at 1-6 06:50
I called IF Skadeforsikring with a similar question yesterday. Had to escalate to the second line of support to get some details, and even then they did not know if the liability coverage was in accordance with the new laws. They promised to investigate and write me back.

Okay. Maybe I should contact sparebanken again tomorrow or something.
2021-1-6
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Her er svaret som jeg fikk fra IF sin advokat (jeg har en såkalt "Innbo Superforsikring"):

"Dronekjøring dekkes av ansvarsdekningen i deres innboforsikring på lik linje som før det nye regelverket trådte i kraft. Det vil si at skader påført av de aller fleste droner som kjøres i privat sammenheng er omfattet per i dag, herunder droner som utelukkende benyttes til rekreasjon, sport og/eller konkurranse og som tidligere ikke krevde operatørtillatelse."

2021-1-7
Use props
No spo
New

Sweden

Hei there. I want to buy a DJI mini 2 se for Christmas but I am not sure what I should do to register it and make it legal. Can I have some type of advice to what I should do after I buy it ?
2023-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules