How far back can a crash be investigated?
1864 8 2021-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xyshop92
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

A friend of mine borrowed my drone about three months ago. Since then, the drone hasn't been flying right (i suspect motor damage from some sort of impact). I've been digging into the data and it looks like there may be a way to download data and tell if the drone has been crashed. Does anyone know how far back into the data I can go to investigate? I've probably logged a few hours flying since then. It sounds like the files may be overwritten? I want to try to find out before I fly it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
2021-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If your friend used your phone or tablet, the flights will still be on it, unless someone has deleted them.
They don't get overwritten.

You can replay the data for any flight in the app or import to a computer for detained analysis.

2021-1-4
Use props
xyshop92
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 1-4 14:00
The DJI Go 4 app should display the flight data for all flights unless someone has deleted some.
You can replay the data for any flight in the app or import to a computer for detained analysis.
I should note that they used their own device for the flights, not mine.
Would I be able to see the detailed information for the flight on a specific day/time from the drone itself? I've flown quite a bit since then, so I wanted to try to locate that specific day/time in enough detail to tell if it had any abnormal activity (even if it was a minor impact?).
Sounds like DJI has data analysis they can do on it, but it doesn't say how far back they can go?

Thanks!

2021-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there xyshop92. I am sorry the your DJI Drone is not working properly and thank you for reaching out. Since your DJI Drone is not working properly and this issue is happening. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank for.
2021-1-4
Use props
xyshop92
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-4 21:20
Hello there xyshop92. I am sorry the your DJI Drone is not working properly and thank you for reaching out. Since your DJI Drone is not working properly and this issue is happening. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. Just a reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said DJI drone to avoid further damaging the said unit. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank for.

Thanks @DJI Stephen. If I send my drone in for diagnostics, can DJI use the drone's black box to check for a crash from three months ago?
2021-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

xyshop92 Posted at 1-4 14:07
I should note that they used their own device for the flights, not mine.
Would I be able to see the detailed information for the flight on a specific day/time from the drone itself? I've flown quite a bit since then, so I wanted to try to locate that specific day/time in enough detail to tell if it had any abnormal activity (even if it was a minor impact?).
Sounds like DJI has data analysis they can do on it, but it doesn't say how far back they can go?

The .txt files will be on the phone/tablet that was used to fly the drone.
The internal data is encrypted and not readable except by DJI.
2021-1-5
Use props
xyshop92
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 1-5 04:21
The .txt files will be on the phone/tablet that was used to fly the drone.
The internal data is encrypted and not readable except by DJI.

Yes, so that's my question. If I send it to them, approx. how far back can they go to investigate? I'm reading on some forums that it stores everything from when you first got the drone, but others say it gets overwritten with new data. I'm trying to gauge if mine would reasonably still have the flight data stored on it for dji to use.
2021-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

xyshop92 Posted at 1-4 21:24
Thanks @DJI Stephen. If I send my drone in for diagnostics, can DJI use the drone's black box to check for a crash from three months ago?

Hi there xyshop92. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have posted. Once the said DJI drone has been received by our DJI repair team, our team will assess the said DJI drone and send you a notification after the assessment. It would also be best to sync your flight data of the said DJI Drone. Thank you.
2021-1-6
Use props
xyshop92
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 23:55
Hi there xyshop92. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have posted. Once the said DJI drone has been received by our DJI repair team, our team will assess the said DJI drone and send you a notification after the assessment. It would also be best to sync your flight data of the said DJI Drone. Thank you.

Ok, but I don't to pay to ship it in for diagnostics if the data isn't there. Is there a way to know for sure?
2021-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules