Prop broke right out of box
1303 18 2021-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

So I just returned my first Mini 2 because the gimble wheel on the remote was broken, and now I unboxed the new one.  The gimble wheel seems fine, but I had what I'd consider a pretty big issue.  I did a test flight in my house, and had the drone hovering for less than a minute when suddenly a prop shot off!  The drone immmediately descended, and came to the ground fairly gently.  Luckily, it didn't hit anything.

Now I'm wondering, how common is this sort of thing?  Are these props that fragile?  I have to admit, this little incident was a real confidence killer.  I was flying my previous drone around Lake Erie yesterday, and if something like this had happened, it would've been bye bye Mini.

Not sure if the prop was already damaged, or maybe it made contact with the frame.  When they first spun up, it kind of sounded like something smacked against the frame.  Not sure why that would happen, unless maybe it was bent from shipping.  Anyway, I was just curious if this sort of thing happened to anyone else.  I'm really hoping it was just a fluke.  I went ahead and replaced both blades on that motor (the left rear).  The other prop looked OK, but figured just in case.

ET8_9359.jpg
2021-1-4
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Wow, I have not seen or heard of that happening. I would check the remaining blades for warpage, cracks etc. Hope everything works out  well it really is a great drone!
2021-1-4
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Also they use a bit of blue lock-tite on the screws, I think there may be some already on the new ones. I would do a few short/ low flights to test the balance, etc. hope it works well!
2021-1-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

you have care refresh, right?  it's cheap.
2021-1-4
Use props
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

videoeditman Posted at 1-4 17:27
Wow, I have not seen or heard of that happening. I would check the remaining blades for warpage, cracks etc. Hope everything works out  well it really is a great drone!

Yeah, it really surprised me, too.  I saw a blur go shooting away from the drone, and next thing I know, it's going down.  Just glad it happened inside and only a few feet off the ground!
2021-1-4
Use props
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-4 18:07
you have care refresh, right?  it's cheap.

Nope   I'm actually not even sure what it is, but I think I need to look into it!  Back when I bought my Phantom 2, I'm not sure if they had that service available.
2021-1-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SpaceForceCmdr Posted at 1-4 18:26
Nope   I'm actually not even sure what it is, but I think I need to look into it!  Back when I bought my Phantom 2, I'm not sure if they had that service available.

https://store.dji.com/guides/dji ... om=app-shop-content
2021-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SpaceForceCmdr. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. This is not the experience that we want you to have with your DJI Mini 2. Since this unfortunate issue happened. It would be best to contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution/fix would be provided. Again I am sorry for the incident and thank you for your understanding.
2021-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could well have been a manufacturng defect that resulted in a hairline crack.  At motor spin up the prop could have dipped slightly and hit drone body and just snapped off. With the new props on test it outside at low level for a few minutes over grass if possible.
2021-1-5
Use props
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-4 21:41
Hello there SpaceForceCmdr. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. This is not the experience that we want you to have with your DJI Mini 2. Since this unfortunate issue happened. It would be best to contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution/fix would be provided. Again I am sorry for the incident and thank you for your understanding.

Thanks, will do.  I was already emailing them about a different issue, so I just mentioned this, too.
2021-1-5
Use props
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-5 06:25
Could well have been a manufacturng defect that resulted in a hairline crack.  At motor spin up the prop could have dipped slightly and hit drone body and just snapped off. With the new props on test it outside at low level for a few minutes over grass if possible.

This sounds like a pretty good explanation.  I did a couple tests flights, and it seems fine now with the new prop installed, but now I'm paranoid!  I hope this doesn't happen again.  I may look into the Refresh thing, but wouldn't a catastrophic failure like this be covered under the regular warranty?
2021-1-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

SpaceForceCmdr Posted at 1-5 06:42
This sounds like a pretty good explanation.  I did a couple tests flights, and it seems fine now with the new prop installed, but now I'm paranoid!  I hope this doesn't happen again.  I may look into the Refresh thing, but wouldn't a catastrophic failure like this be covered under the regular warranty?

Not sure.  I've read some horror stories about DJI warranty issues.
2021-1-6
Use props
fans8e299cb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-6 07:39
Not sure.  I've read some horror stories about DJI warranty issues.

These horror stories are true.  I've had nothing but bad experience with their support who don't "repair" anything.  Instead they will send you a refurbished used drone after a month or two.  Terrible.
2021-1-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SpaceForceCmdr Posted at 1-5 06:42

again, you want the care refresh.  i don't work for dji so i'm not trying it "sell" it to you....but you want it; trust me.  everything you are going thru and commenting about will take on a new perspective.

warranty covers a manufacturing defect.
care refresh covers a crash.  think of it as insurance.
2021-1-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans8e299cb6 Posted at 1-6 09:02
These horror stories are true.  I've had nothing but bad experience with their support who don't "repair" anything.  Instead they will send you a refurbished used drone after a month or two.  Terrible.

not always.  sometimes a refurb is better than a new drone.
2021-1-6
Use props
DukeofDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12885007 ft
United Kingdom

Ohhhhh this sounds scary.

I would say defo +1 on the refresh suggestion.

I crashed mine and had water damage after 2 weeks of having a new drone. And thank God I had DJI refresh.

Saved me a lot of trouble. I got a brand new drone within 10 days of the crash.

The new done is working like a dream.
2021-1-6
Use props
fans8e299cb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-6 09:14
not always.  sometimes a refurb is better than a new drone.

Most often, it is worst as they are usually some defective drone somebody returned to DJI and DJI just turns them around for these warranty purposes.  That has been my case in the 7 years I have owned various DJI drones.  I never purchase care refresh because drone crash just hasn't happened for me in the 7 years I've been flying DJI drones.  For me, drone losses are usually due to flyaways or other types of "lost drones" which are NOT covered by care refresh.
One thing I do though is purchase all my drones through American Express which automatically covers purchases for damage as well as loss for 90 days.  In 90 days, you usually know if your drone is good or a lemon....and there are LOTs of DJI lemons out there.
2021-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

SpaceForceCmdr Posted at 1-5 06:40
Thanks, will do.  I was already emailing them about a different issue, so I just mentioned this, too.

Hi there SpaceForceCmdr. You are very much welcome and it is good to know that you were able to contact our DJI Support Team. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you.
2021-1-7
Use props
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-7 00:06
Hi there SpaceForceCmdr. You are very much welcome and it is good to know that you were able to contact our DJI Support Team. If you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you.

Thanks.  I didn't hear back from them about my warranty question, so maybe you know.  If something like this happens again (prop flies off on it's own and drone is destroyed), is that covered under the normal warranty?  I know if I crash it, it's my own fault, but it seems like a prop breaking on it's own is a defect.  Thanks!
2021-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules