Mobile CPU overload and tablet questions
6041 31 2021-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

Hi Forum

I have a question about the mobile device CPU overload I'm getting. I have an iphone 7 and I've made sure nothing else is running, and I still keep getting this "mobile device CPU overload, performance will be effected" message. I've tried everything, including powering off the device and powering it back on, but I still keep getting this. It's as if the iphone 7 doesn't have enough cpu to run the application (DJI Fly 1.2.2). Any ideas would be appreciated.

In order to solve this problem, I thought I might use an ipad. I have a small ipad air, running 13.6.1, and I figured that using an ipad would solve the CPU operload issue. So I purchased the tablet holder to use with the Mavic Air 2 controller, but it looks like the ipad is not compatible with the Mavic DJI Fly app. Controls were unresponsive, or slow, or wouldn't work at all. The screen was unresponsive to many things, and touch wasn't working well, and the altimeter was really off. I quickly abandoned the flight because it didn't look safe.

Is there a list of compatible tablets I can use that won't have CPU overload issues? Do I really need a new iphone to run the Mavic Air 2?

thanks
2021-1-5
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

The Fly app, is the fly in the ointment, I think it needs a 64 bit OS, Happle, or Andyroids...
Snot sure about the processor speeds...
2021-1-5
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

The Fly app, is the fly in the ointment, I think it needs a 64 bit OS, Happle, or Andyroids... Snot sure about the processor speeds...
2021-1-5
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

Flycaster Posted at 1-5 12:03
The Fly app, is the fly in the ointment, I think it needs a 64 bit OS, Happle, or Andyroids... Snot sure about the processor speeds...

I have no idea what you're saying. The ipad is a 64bit OS, and the DJI Fly App is made for the Mac Mobile Operating system, since I downloaded it from the Apple App store.
2021-1-5
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have a friend with a more newer iPhone/iPad? Might have him/her install the DJI Fly app and login with your creds and try another test flight and see what the results are. I imagine it could be time for an upgrade. I was on the iPhone 6S and iPad Mini 2 or 3. Then last year upgraded to an iPhone 11 and iPad Air with no issues.

Also not sure where in Seattle you're at but I'm on the eastside and have been practicing some of my flights at 60 acres between Redmond and Woodinville. Maybe once the rain storms pass, you're more than welcome to come out and try other device if you can't find someone to help out.

Yea that previous message I can't understand the garble, lost my decoder ring for that...
2021-1-5
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

The iPhone 7 does have 64 bit processor.  But other issue can arise such as limited memory and CPU speed on older devices.

My initial guess is that your iPhone 7 has degraded with use and time.  The electronics and chipset no longer function at the original speed and capacity, therefore while the iPhone 7 is technically capable it may not be in the operational condition to run the DJI Fly app.  

If your iPad is running IOS13 it is most certainly 64 bit as non 64 bit chipsets were deem legacy devices beginning with IOS 12.  The iPad mini 4 will run the DJI Fly app.

I would suggest uninstalling the DJI Fly app on both devices and restarting them.  This can clear cache from the memory after uninstalling an app.  Then reinstalling the DJI Fly app.  Doing this may not work but it costs nothing to try.
2021-1-5
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-5 13:05
Do you have a friend with a more newer iPhone/iPad? Might have him/her install the DJI Fly app and login with your creds and try another test flight and see what the results are. I imagine it could be time for an upgrade. I was on the iPhone 6S and iPad Mini 2 or 3. Then last year upgraded to an iPhone 11 and iPad Air with no issues.

Also not sure where in Seattle you're at but I'm on the eastside and have been practicing some of my flights at 60 acres between Redmond and Woodinville. Maybe once the rain storms pass, you're more than welcome to come out and try other device if you can't find someone to help out.

Thanks RobZilla. Yes, I'm on the East Side too. I'm flying over the South Bellevue Way Park and Ride construction area and the Blueberry Fields, and Enatai Beach Park a lot. Would love to meet up sometime when it stops raining.

I would like to know what devices are supported. It looks like the ipad Air is supported but I can't find a list of supported devices on DJI. Hopefully someone from DJI can comment. I have a hard time believing that I need to upgrade my phone for this, but it could be. And honestly I don't mind, but I would like a more definitive answer from DJI, because I may very likely just buy an appropriate ipad mini or something for this. Or a new iphone 12...
2021-1-5
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-5 13:14
The iPhone 7 does have 64 bit processor.  But other issue can arise such as limited memory and CPU speed on older devices.

My initial guess is that your iPhone 7 has degraded with use and time.  The electronics and chipset no longer function at the original speed and capacity, therefore while the iPhone 7 is technically capable it may not be in the operational condition to run the DJI Fly app.  

Thanks for the Reply John. Much appreciated.
2021-1-5
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

John made a good point which I was going to mention. It is a combination of hardware(latest CPU speed, memory) and software (OS ) and a few other factors. Either way, there is a list of recommended devices from the app page.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2/downloads

Click on the "recommended devices" for whatever OS you're using, i.e., iOS. And yes both the iPhone 7 and Mini/Air are supported. On that note, I would also suggest upgrading to iOS 14.x, could help as lots of bugs were fixed and optimizations were implemented.

2021-1-5
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-5 14:28
John made a good point which I was going to mention. It is a combination of hardware(latest CPU speed, memory) and software (OS ) and a few other factors. Either way, there is a list of recommended devices from the app page.

Thanks Rob. Very helpful. I see the ipad Air is not supported. The iPad Air II is supported, but then so is my iphone 7. I will try a few things over the next couple of days. I'm upgrading my phone now and will try that.

2021-1-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried closing all running apps before starting?...Nevermind. I see you mentioned that right up front.
2021-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Seattle_Scott. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. DJI recommends using a recommended mobile device when using your DJI Mavic Air 2 for compatibility and reliability for both the said DJI Drone and for the DJI Fly application. For reference I will post a link where in you can find the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Air 2 and for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

2021-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check your battery health (Settings _> Battery),  you might be running on reduced performance.
2021-1-6
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-6 01:10
Check your battery health (Settings _> Battery),  you might be running on reduced performance.

The battery is fine. Thanks. I do go into the settings every time I fly and set it to charge the phone. Unfortunately that setting doesn't persist and you have to set it every time.
2021-1-6
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-5 20:56
Hello there Seattle_Scott. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. DJI recommends using a recommended mobile device when using your DJI Mavic Air 2 for compatibility and reliability for both the said DJI Drone and for the DJI Fly application. For reference I will post a link where in you can find the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Air 2 and for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

My iphone 7 and OS are both on the recommended list.
2021-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seattle_Scott Posted at 1-6 08:32
The battery is fine. Thanks. I do go into the settings every time I fly and set it to charge the phone. Unfortunately that setting doesn't persist and you have to set it every time.

No,  on iPhone there is a battery health setting that will tell you what % of the original battery capacity there is and if you in degraded performance mode.  I had an older SE that needed a new battery to perform correctly.
2021-1-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-6 09:10
No,  on iPhone there is a battery health setting that will tell you what % of the original battery capacity there is and if you in degraded performance mode.  I had an older SE that needed a new battery to perform correctly.

With direct power charging from the controller the batteries health is still relevant.  Apple power passes through the battery prior to logic board use.  

Hence when the battery dies and you plug in the phone the red battery icon appears for sometime until the battery has a sufficient charge to boot the phone.

If the health is poor a battery replacement kit costs around $30 and there are lots of videos on YouTube to assist you.
2021-1-6
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-5 20:56

I have updated the OS on my iphone 7 to 14.3, turned it off and on again, and taken off the cover, and I'm still getting this mobile CPU overload error. I'm also seeing my battery drain even though I have the SW set to charge the phone. Really this isn't normal. This phone and OS are both supported, so at this point I have to say that the Mavic Air 2 SW has an issue of some sort.
2021-1-6
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
United States

Seattle_Scott Posted at 1-6 13:39
I have updated the OS on my iphone 7 to 14.3, turned it off and on again, and taken off the cover, and I'm still getting this mobile CPU overload error. I'm also seeing my battery drain even though I have the SW set to charge the phone. Really this isn't normal. This phone and OS are both supported, so at this point I have to say that the Mavic Air 2 SW has an issue of some sort.

It sounds like the device you are using are old and the batteries are the problem. Mobile CPU overload has nothing to do the the controller or the Mavic. It is exclusively you device.
2021-1-6
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bummer to hear the news. I have to agree, seems it could be the device itself.

Not sure what your day is like tomorrow (Thursday), rain has let up for a short break finally!! I could meet you at Enatai beach if you wanted to try my iPad Air 3rd gen or iPhone 11 then just login with your creds so you get your own flight data. PM me if you want to meet up.
2021-1-6
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-6 13:50
It sounds like the device you are using are old and the batteries are the problem. Mobile CPU overload has nothing to do the the controller or the Mavic. It is exclusively you device.

Thanks for all the help John. I'm inclined to agree with you now. The phone is fine, but the battery is aging. I think it's time to either replace the battery or get a new phone. Wife even gave me the green light for the phone.
2021-1-6
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-6 15:42

Not sure what your day is like tomorrow (Thursday), rain has let up for a short break finally!! I could meet you at Enatai beach if you wanted to try my iPad Air 3rd gen or iPhone 11 then just login with your creds so you get your own flight data. PM me if you want to meet up.

Hi Rob

Sounds like it might be my battery, but would love to meet up at Enatai Beach. I got out today quite a bit. Luther Burbank dog park and then Enatai. But I'd love to meet up. Sounds like fun. I work from home and have someone in the office tomorrow to meet with clients so should be able to get out pretty easily. Four Two Five - Five Three Three - Seven zero Six Eight.
2021-1-6
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-6 09:10
No,  on iPhone there is a battery health setting that will tell you what % of the original battery capacity there is and if you in degraded performance mode.  I had an older SE that needed a new battery to perform correctly.

Thanks. It says 85% (I never knew that was there). But the SW could be wrong. I'm gonna go with needs a new battery. And I do appreciate all the user feedback here. This has been the best toy I've purchased in a long time and the help here and DJI response has been very helpful as I get started. And like any good toy, it takes a little time to learn and get used to and tune up.
2021-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seattle_Scott Posted at 1-6 15:59
Thanks. It says 85% (I never knew that was there). But the SW could be wrong. I'm gonna go with needs a new battery. And I do appreciate all the user feedback here. This has been the best toy I've purchased in a long time and the help here and DJI response has been very helpful as I get started. And like any good toy, it takes a little time to learn and get used to and tune up.

I replaced the battery in my old 7 plus before Christmas,  the battery was very cheap but its very fiddly and the screws are absolutely the smallest you've ever seen,  if you have the green light on a new phone go for it.
2021-1-7
Use props
Errr797
lvl.2
Flight distance : 914534 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought the iPad Mini 4 when I bought the Mavic Pro 4 years ago.  Like you it was used just to run the DJI app.  I continued to use it when I bought the DJI Mini and it ran just fine, and continued to use it when I got the Mavic Air 2.  I had no problem for awhile and then all of sudden I started getting the CPU overload problem.  I was thinking it was due to an IOS update and the new version probably is a CPU hog.  I don't know if the new iPad Mini would work; it's 2 or 3 generations newer as far as the CPU goes.  You might try to find a friend who has one and ask to see if you could the DJI app.  I have switched to my Samsung Galaxy 8, and I'm looking to upgrade to a new Samsung phone that will be announced/released in a couple of weeks.  For the price of an iPad, I can put that money into getting the Ultra model which has a lot higher nit rating than an iPad.
2021-1-7
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-6 11:40
With direct power charging from the controller the batteries health is still relevant.  Apple power passes through the battery prior to logic board use.  

Hence when the battery dies and you plug in the phone the red battery icon appears for sometime until the battery has a sufficient charge to boot the phone.

Had a new battery installed yesterday. Waiting for weather to clear so I can test it. If it's still an issue, I'll get a new phone.
2021-1-9
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-6 15:42

Hey thanks for meeting me at Enatai Beach Park. It was a pleasure, and I learned a few things. I think I'll be proceeding with my Section 107 license test.
2021-1-9
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

Today I tested it after I put in the new battery. At an 85% charge, I saw the error again, but when I put the phone in airplane mode, the CPU error stopped. Previously I had put it in airplane mode and still got the error, but with the new battery I don't. But it does look like my iphone 7 can't handle DJI Fly unless it's in airplane mode.
2021-1-9
Use props
lherba
lvl.1
Spain

Creo que he encontrado una solución para aquellos de nosotros que tenemos drones y usamos el iPad para volar.
El modelo de Ipad que utilizo es el Mini 4 y muchas veces mientras estamos volando aparece una advertencia en la pantalla advirtiendo que "La CPU del dispositivo móvil está completamente cargada. El rendimiento relacionado se verá afectado".
Después de buscar, en foros y videos, no he encontrado el motivo ni una solución a este molesto aviso. No sé si puede ser perjudicial mientras volamos pero al menos da miedo y es molesto porque no sabemos qué puede pasar. Tampoco sé si la forma que he encontrado para solucionarlo es la mejor pero al menos me funciona y hace mucho tiempo que aparece el aviso.
El video que he realizado consta de dos partes a diferenciar ya que la aplicación DJI Fly se instala por primera vez y la segunda parte es después de un vuelo (Esta vez el vuelo es ficticio, solo he conectado el dron, pero para ver el el resultado va bien).
Cada vuelo que hacemos, el Ipad genera archivos que son los que hacen que la advertencia aparezca más tarde. El punto es eliminar esos archivos y dejar el Ipad limpio y no es necesario eliminar la aplicación y luego reinstalarla. Mientras volaba, noté que cada vez que instalaba la aplicación DJI FLy, la advertencia no aparecía.
Me ha ido bien y si alguien conoce otro camino, estaré agradecido si lo dice porque quizás haya alguna otra forma de llegar al mismo punto al que he llegado, pero de una forma más sencilla.
Si no me he explicado con mucha claridad, estaré encantado de volver a explicarlo.
El primer paso es desactivar la caché del mando a distancia (Radio Control). Cámara ---- SIN caché durante la grabación (deshabilitado)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElNZXuNGu8w&t=130s
2021-3-19
Use props
yamas
lvl.1

Brazil

I have a big issue running ipad 4 mini whith air 2s.  Some times it starts to lag to hell. more then 10 seconds lag. But in other hand it works very well without lag.  And I´m realising that may occur because of location. Don´t know.  But is very sad to have a equipment that does´n´t work with Ipad  mini. I belivieve is a good device. Why it doesn´t work well??/    My inspere 2 works very well with a Ipad 4 mini (djigo 4)  Maybe  the DJI Fly is a piece off bad thing...  Very SAD having some works messed up.... Don´t know what to do...  
2021-9-19
Use props
yamas
lvl.1

Brazil

Does your device (phone) get hot?
2021-10-6
Use props
Behr Palomo
New
Flight distance : 6640 ft
United States

I'm experiencing this issue but I just bought a $1K drone after much deliberation, and already in for an additional $400 in accessories, not terribly keen on buying a $1K phone to support it.  My current 6S Plus needs to be fully charged or at least 80% to go out and run 3 DJi batteries down at 20 minutes each. The battery "service life" is at 77%.

I'm using a 6S Plus now, and thinking of getting a "new to me" XS Max, as the last phone on the recommended list is an 8. As long as the XS Max will be good for a couple years that's fine with me, by that time the now current 13 Pro Max will be around 60% of it's current price, and I'll be done with RN school and making more anyway.
2022-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules