Will it work or not?
501 3 2021-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timbotrog
New
Australia

Hi teveryone,

I have an iPhone 11 Pro max I've been using for my Mavic Air 2 and I was looking at getting an iPad mini instead.

I know you don't need cellular data to use the DJI Fly app  on IOS, but would an Apple device that runs DJI Fly but doesn't have the  cellular module and therefore no built in GPS, (say iPad mini WiFi),  still be ok to run the app?
I know it won't have access to the maps unless it's connected to a device via wifi so I'm assuming the MA2 will use it's built in GPS for positional data.

I ask because there's a difference between turning off cellular data,  (airplane mode), and not actually having a GPS module built into the  mobile device.

Cheers
Tim
2021-1-5
Use props
EZ-Flying
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112936 ft
United States

I’m using my IPhone 8 and IPad mini without the SIM card that’s means no Cellular service and it works perfectly fine only differences  is before the flight I put my personal phone as a hotspot to update the Maps area I’m flying then I turn off WiFi or Bluetooth on my flying device. Works no issue.
2021-1-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you will miss the GPS in the tablet. Everything will work ok except the newest (version 1.2.2) orientation display will not show the controller location or will show it wrong. If you never move the controller far from the home point, it may not matter but If you move far from the home point (as I often do), the indicator will be somewhat lacking.
Versions of the indicator before 1.2.2 won't work at all.

2021-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Tim. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this it will also be good to put your mobile phone in Airplane mode while flying would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. In addition, it is not necessary to put your device in Airplane mode but please make sure there is no such notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Thank you for your support and have a safe flight always.
2021-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules