DJI Mini 2 be able to add a follow me function in the short term?
9263 27 2021-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kent888
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188967 ft
Hong Kong

DJI Mini 2 be able to add a follow me function in the short term? Does anyone know?
2021-1-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, kent888. Thanks for reaching out! Currently, the DJI Mini 2 doesn't have the Follow Me feature but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for the DJI Mini 2.
2021-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keep an eye on Litchi,  they already added this for the Mini 1.  
2021-1-10
Use props
Geeforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30128 ft
Netherlands

I just got my Mini 2 last week. And this weekend made my first flight. I am very very happy with it. But... I was disappointed to see that follow me is not available on the M2, but it is on the M2. Yes yes I could have known etc. For me it's a bit strange that it is removed in M2.

So please add follow me for Mini 2. Forward this feature request, please!
2021-1-11
Use props
djiuser_kVGHZ6t8SAff
New

United States

I was quite disappointed as well. Honestly thinking about returning it after the first flight already to upgrade.
2021-8-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was very surprised to see it not being available too, i would also be very surprised if it was added now, prob waiting to release it with the Mini 3
2021-8-24
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

After the good experiences with my Ronin, I bought my first DJI drone 2 days ago.
A mini 2.

After experiences of friends with dji drones, I was automatically expecting this function to be implemented.
So if it can be made available it would be super!

But what a nice drone to fly and what nice footage from such a small drone.
Here in The Netherlands you do not need a flying license for it, just registration
2021-8-25
Use props
bdemir
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1536227 ft
Turkey

The DJI Fly app can do this very easily if DJI wants. I belive "follow me" is already implemented in beta version. But for Mini 3. If Litchi can do it on the Mini 1, the only reason DJI didn't use this feature on the Mini 2 is because of a new product new feature strategy. This strategy should sound familiar!

The new features that will be available for the Mini 3 are now very limited. Slightly larger sensor, 4k (48/50/60 fps), about 35 minutes of flight time, maybe front-rear sensor + follow me feature. DJI will therefore not use this feature for the Mini 2.

On the other hand  competitors are playing so aggressively on the features offered that I wonder where DJI will come in this race. For competitors, the "follow me" feature is just a detail.
2021-8-25
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

bdemir Posted at 8-25 01:18
The DJI Fly app can do this very easily if DJI wants. I belive "follow me" is already implemented in beta version. But for Mini 3. If Litchi can do it on the Mini 1, the only reason DJI didn't use this feature on the Mini 2 is because of a new product new feature strategy. This strategy should sound familiar!

The new features that will be available for the Mini 3 are now very limited. Slightly larger sensor, 4k (48/50/60 fps), about 35 minutes of flight time, maybe front-rear sensor + follow me feature. DJI will therefore not use this feature for the Mini 2.

Where you find this information?
2021-8-25
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

If you are not stuck on the DJI brand, check out the Hubsan Mini Zeno Pro, which can (or will) do this. (although I believe the feature isnt' there yet).

I don't believe this will be added to the Mini2 due to its lack of proximity sensors.. But now the DJIs rivals are doing it in a sub 249g drone, I dont' think they have much choice to add it to the next generation of drones (Mini3?)
2021-8-25
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

jweaver Posted at 8-25 02:45
If you are not stuck on the DJI brand, check out the Hubsan Mini Zeno Pro, which can (or will) do this. (although I believe the feature isnt' there yet).

I don't believe this will be added to the Mini2 due to its lack of proximity sensors.. But now the DJIs rivals are doing it in a sub 249g drone, I dont' think they have much choice to add it to the next generation of drones (Mini3?)

Issue with the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro is, it is a piece of crap. Overheating problems, dodgy obstacle avoidance (one Youtube video shows its failure, slamming into the back of a truck instead of braking lol), disconnections, etc. I'll stick with my DJI Mini 2 thank you and wait and see IF the Mini 3 is released and what extra features it has before deciding on 'upgrading' from the Mini 2. For now though, the 2 provides all the fun I need.
2021-8-25
Use props
bdemir
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1536227 ft
Turkey

Andre vd Weide Posted at 8-25 01:36
Where you find this information?

As a software developer, that's my guess. Because you need to test new features at least 4-6 months in area and laboratories. If the Mini 3 will be available at the end of 2021 or early 2022, beta software must be started.
Regards,
2021-8-25
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

Don't get me wrong.. My post wasn't a recommendation for the Hubsan.. I was mearly stating that there was a rival.

I have seen to much dislike of it to trust that its everything its claimed to be.. The videos by "alishanmao" are full of nothing but praise, until you realise that he also features on the "Hubsan Official" channel, so anything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt

What I like about the Hubsan is that it gives DJI some competition and something to think about.. Which can only be good for future features.

So personally if you want Active Track I would wait for the Mini 3, but the general advice is to get a Mini 2 and enjoy it for what it is!
2021-8-25
Use props
2urtle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60246 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-9 23:53
After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for the DJI Mini 2.

I have a few ideas, where is the best place to put suggestions for consideration?
2021-9-13
Use props
joewardpr
lvl.1

Canada

There are some who are trying to force a "follow me"-like feature by using the "Circle" Quickshot at slow speed, tracking themselves (of course) while in motion. As they move (for as long as the tracking stays fixed on them), the circular path of the Mini 2 adjusts and ends up appearing to follow. They've done testing on YouTube on individuals and even car tracking. Of course, Quickshots are not designed to be used in this way (at present), and it takes some trial and error and real finesse. The Mini 2 had the capability to do some basic tracking. Follow over, follow behind, and follow beside at a RTH height would all be safe for careful drone operators.
2021-9-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

"we'll forward this feedback to our developers" ... just be honest.  

They have no motivation to improve the cheaper drones, want a particular feature, spend more money is how they have set this up.
2021-9-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-10 00:51
Keep an eye on Litchi,  they already added this for the Mini 1.

Which is why DJI is not releasing the file that would allow litchi to work with mini2 ..... to upsell you to another drone that has the feature you want.
Stop buying the newest drone that is coming out, that's what motivates them to keep certain features out of drones!  
The mini2 could have come with follow-me, active track, etc etc etc .... they say it's because there are no sensors to avoid collisions .... well, we have that problem if we free fly too, so what's the real issue?  (upsell)
Pretty tired of the lack of service of what they put on the market.  Even if you buy their 'care', they don't.
2021-9-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

2urtle Posted at 9-13 11:28
I have a few ideas, where is the best place to put suggestions for consideration?

I emailed them once with a suggestion .... they told me "don't worry about it".
Boy, that's wonderful customer service.  

2021-9-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 9-14 10:31
Which is why DJI is not releasing the file that would allow litchi to work with mini2 ..... to upsell you to another drone that has the feature you want.
Stop buying the newest drone that is coming out, that's what motivates them to keep certain features out of drones!  
The mini2 could have come with follow-me, active track, etc etc etc .... they say it's because there are no sensors to avoid collisions .... well, we have that problem if we free fly too, so what's the real issue?  (upsell)

They have now announced the SDK is coming for the Mini 2.  
2021-9-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

...... still or again? The file is already coded, what's the holdup?
I'm guessing they'll release it after the mini3 is released, the mini 3 will have sensors, making the mini2 obsolete .... so then releasing the file is no loss to them.
2021-9-15
Use props
djiuser_8WJhApk1zDYj
lvl.1
United States

I also notice that only bying it that it does not have follow me feature which is available in most drone this days. it will be great if DJI put this feature for mini 2 , so that I don't have to return it.
2021-9-16
Use props
djiuser_skAsaCGUvXcT
New

Mexico

Great drone but it would e awesome if they can add the Follow Me feature. Don't understand why DJI allow third party apps to add that feature. They should lead the way since it's their drone. Would be a great gesture to the many owners of the Mini 2.
2022-5-18
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

djiuser_skAsaCGUvXcT Posted at 5-18 01:02
Great drone but it would e awesome if they can add the Follow Me feature. Don't understand why DJI allow third party apps to add that feature. They should lead the way since it's their drone. Would be a great gesture to the many owners of the Mini 2.

They will never, because it does not have obstical avoidance sensors.
If you use any third party apps, it is on your own risk.
2022-5-18
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

MySky Posted at 5-18 06:37
They will never, because it does not have obstical avoidance sensors.
If you use any third party apps, it is on your own risk.

This seems to be more an excuse than a valid reason. Without the obstacle avoidance sensors, all the Quickshots may bring the drone into an obstacle. Then: why the Circle is there and not the Follow me ?
Probably the real reason is commercially related … Now there is a new product to push that costs almost double and that probably brings a double profit.
2022-5-18
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

FabioV Posted at 5-18 13:37
This seems to be more an excuse than a valid reason. Without the obstacle avoidance sensors, all the Quickshots may bring the drone into an obstacle. Then: why the Circle is there and not the Follow me ?
Probably the real reason is commercially related … Now there is a new product to push that costs almost double and that probably brings a double profit.

I fully agree.
If i remeber right another statement from DJI was: Not enough memory or processing power.
2022-5-18
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

For this capability the memory and the processing power can be provided by the smartphone. This is the way Litchi and Maven Co-Pilot work. The reality is that in today's market, the new features are added to the new products, not backfitted into the existing ones. And this is true not only for DJI products, but also for smartphones, PCs, TVs and many other that can be potentially upgraded by a firmware update, but usually they're not in order to sell the new ones.

2022-5-18
Use props
okfly
New

Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 2021-1-9 23:53
Hi, kent888. Thanks for reaching out! Currently, the DJI Mini 2 doesn't have the Follow Me feature but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for the DJI Mini 2.

its amazing that people are promoting a third party app for the DJI mini 2 follow me before DJI even do anything about it
2022-6-13
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

okfly Posted at 6-13 05:14
its amazing that people are promoting a third party app for the DJI mini 2 follow me before DJI even do anything about it

If you look at the date of the initial post, you can notice that it's from about one year and half ago. In addition, please consider that from that date nothing concrete happened from DJI side on this topic and, by opposite, third party's apps started supporting this feature.

It means that people are promoting third party's apps not before DJI does something, but because DJI didn't do anything instead.From my point of view it's quite obviuos that DJI won't never implement this feature and then third party's apps that support it are really welcome.
2022-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules