Battery firmware update (updated or not?)
3230 11 2021-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skynet5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20253 ft
United Kingdom

Loving this drone.

Opened it last night and updated the the controller and drone firmware.

Had a good play around and when I switched over to battery 3 and I noticed it wanted to update the battery firmware so I did it.

App showed progress and then said complete and the drone had turned off.  Turned it all back on and great all working.

Then I tried to do battery 2 (i have 3 as part of the combo).  Struggled to get it to trigger, no clue if it was updated already perhaps and didnt need it. I shut everything down and powered back up and bingo it asked.  So said ok, but the progress never moved from 0%, but the drone had turned off.  The drone was at roughly 48% battery life.

No idea if it did it or not, and there appears to be no way to check.

I havent mentioned battery 1, but that certainly hasnt asked to be updated ... not sure if the drone firmware update updates the battery insitu at the sametime?

So out of 3 batteries:

1 - presumed is updated as part of drone update as it was plugged i
2 - not sure of status
3 - definitely updated.

Thoughts?
2021-1-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There’s been a few posts on here about batteries coming with different firmware levels.  If you turn in the drone and start the fly app fresh it should prompt within a minute or so if the battery needs an update.  
2021-1-10
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-10 11:08
There’s been a few posts on here about batteries coming with different firmware levels.  If you turn in the drone and start the fly app fresh it should prompt within a minute or so if the battery needs an update.
Thanks mate.

I guess I'm a bit wary of battery 2. As it didn't tell me it had finished. The drone had turned off, and the app was stuck at 0%.

I guess if it's all working and no errors I shouldn't worry. Not a perfect experience with battery firmware like everything else so far with this drone.

2021-1-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skynet5 Posted at 1-10 11:29
Thanks mate.

I guess I'm a bit wary of battery 2. As it didn't tell me it had finished. The drone had turned off, and the app was stuck at 0%.

In the older go 4 app there was a section for battery firmware version.  Sadly I don’t believe they kept this in the fly app and to make it worse the DJI assistant hasn’t been updated yet.

2021-1-10
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-10 11:59
In the older go 4 app there was a section for battery firmware version.  Sadly I don’t believe they kept this in the fly app and to make it worse the DJI assistant hasn’t been updated yet.

I'll just assume all is ok until the battery crashes out and the drone falls from the sky.
2021-1-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Skynet5 Posted at 1-10 11:29
Thanks mate.

The battery must be over 50% to accept a FW update.
2021-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Skynet5. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this it is recommended to update your firmware for the said intelligent flight batteries to improve there performance when in use. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-1-10
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 1-10 19:09
The battery must be over 50% to accept a FW update.

I presume the app would not prompt if the battery wasn't ready to accept?
2021-1-10
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-10 19:58
Hello there Skynet5. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this it is recommended to update your firmware for the said intelligent flight batteries to improve there performance when in use. Thank you and fly safe always.

Thanks.  I think my real question is if the app never moved from 0%, but the drone turned off...did the battery firmware update or not?

Very odd there is no way to check this ...yet....
2021-1-10
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Skynet5 Posted at 1-10 20:55
I presume the app would not prompt if the battery wasn't ready to accept?

No wrong presumption. The app is advising that it will not fly as the FW is not consistent.

Not that it is ready to update. That you need to take action yourself. And it requires >50%  battery to start. This has been this way since the Phantom II

This is how you check.

The way you can tell if an update is successful, power off everything then back on again. If the FW mismatch is still there the Battery did not update.

2021-1-12
Use props
Skynet5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 1-12 01:11
No wrong presumption. The app is advising that it will not fly as the FW is not consistent.

Not that it is ready to update. That you need to take action yourself. And it requires >50%  battery to start. This has been this way since the Phantom II

Not seen the request again.  Even with a fully charged battery. I can only assume that it had updated (as the drone shutdown) and the app failed to move the progress bar forward to completion.
2021-1-12
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Skynet5 Posted at 1-12 02:23
Not seen the request again.  Even with a fully charged battery. I can only assume that it had updated (as the drone shutdown) and the app failed to move the progress bar forward to completion.

Interesting, yes the drone does power down after a FW update. This was introduced as far as I can tell due to people not restarting the drone manually after an update. Maybe the app was frozen or unlinked? It only reports the status its does not participate in the update process other than sending it to the drone.

2021-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules