Formatting SD-Card resets file names
2780 20 2021-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnDProffitt
lvl.1
United States

When I format my SD-Card in my MA2 it resets the file naming so I end up with files names stating with DJI_0001 for every flight.

Is there a way to delete the files to make room on my SD-Card without formatting and resetting the file naming?

Or, are there any file naming options?

Thanks,
John P.
2021-1-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your lament reflects the standard where an application specific to a device offers formatting.  So, no.. DJI doesn't offer choices within the MA2 re-formatting.  I highly suggest you instead remove the card from the device, install it on your computer.  Delete the files no longer needed, including any folders that were created by DJI, and while the files are "in the trash" "empty" the trash, preferably using the secure delete option (if your system offers that option).  That will delete all the files and related registers(addresses of the files) plus the added benefit of being able to keep selected files (rather than a massive deletion).
2021-1-12
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

The are a multitude of previous posts covering this topic. Do a search of "formatting SD card".There are pros and cons to always formatting. Formatting always resets the file naming and I haven't read any way to get around it.  If you remove the SD card to download onto a desktop, all you have to do is highlight the files and delete.  I, personally, never format.  I have a Word document on my SD card that includes my contact information in case someone finds my drone or card and if I format I have to remember to add that document back on the card.  
2021-1-12
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Just use a computer and delete the unwanted Photos and Videos.  You can hold on to any you want to keep on the SD card for later.  I try not to let the SD card full.  It only seems to run out of space when you are shooting something unique and really want to keep the footage.

Formating wipes out all the data on the SD card hence the restarting of the number sequence.

2021-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

When I format my SD-Card in my MA2 it resets the file naming so I end up with files names stating with DJI_0001 for every flight.
The simple solution is to store your images  on your computer, in a separate folder for each flight.

Is there a way to delete the files to make room on my SD-Card without formatting and resetting the file naming?
You really don't want to keep your work on the SD card and send it out flying again and again.
If you value your work, you should be sending the drone out with an empty SD card each flight.

Or, are there any file naming options?
No

2021-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 1-12 11:00
The are a multitude of previous posts covering this topic. Do a search of "formatting SD card".There are pros and cons to always formatting. Formatting always resets the file naming and I haven't read any way to get around it.  If you remove the SD card to download onto a desktop, all you have to do is highlight the files and delete.  I, personally, never format.  I have a Word document on my SD card that includes my contact information in case someone finds my drone or card and if I format I have to remember to add that document back on the card.

I have a Word document on my SD card that includes my contact information in case someone finds my drone.
Joe Citizen, picking up your drone is unlikely to ever see a file on the SD card.
He probably won't even find the SD card, let alone think of reading what's on it.

A simple sticker with contact details is much more effective.
2021-1-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-12 13:56
I have a Word document on my SD card that includes my contact information in case someone finds my drone.
Joe Citizen, picking up your drone is unlikely to ever see a file on the SD card.
He probably won't even find the SD card, let alone think of reading what's on it.

Personally I like redundancy there. I have the numbers written on the body and also written in a place inside that takes tools to disassemble and view. I will also put the info on the card, just in case... haven't done it yet though.
2021-1-12
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I have done both...card and sticker on the drone.
2021-1-12
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

For my workflow, file names are irrelevant.  When I copy the files off the SD card onto my computer, I put them into a separate folder named with the date and a short description. Doing it this way makes it much easier to find the footage/photos I’m looking for.  I quite often use multiple cameras for a project, so inside of that folder, I also create another folder with the name of the camera the files came from.  Because of this, the file names really don’t matter because you aren’t just throwing them all into the same spot.  

- 2021_01_20 Downtown Cincy Sunset
     - M2P
     - Pocket2
- 2021_01_21 Hamilton Waterfall
     - Mini2
      - 90d
2021-1-12
Use props
JohnDProffitt
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-12 13:56
I have a Word document on my SD card that includes my contact information in case someone finds my drone.
Joe Citizen, picking up your drone is unlikely to ever see a file on the SD card.
He probably won't even find the SD card, let alone think of reading what's on it.

I did lots of searches but they all focus on how to format the card.  That is not what I'm looking for.  Thanks though.
2021-1-12
Use props
JohnDProffitt
lvl.1
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-12 17:16
For my workflow, file names are irrelevant.  When I copy the files off the SD card onto my computer, I put them into a separate folder named with the date and a short description. Doing it this way makes it much easier to find the footage/photos I’m looking for.  I quite often use multiple cameras for a project, so inside of that folder, I also create another folder with the name of the camera the files came from.  Because of this, the file names really don’t matter because you aren’t just throwing them all into the same spot.  

Thanks, that is pretty much my work flow also.  The only problem is when I add multiple clips to a project and the file names are the same.  Then I have to look at the file path to know which flight it came from.
2021-1-12
Use props
JohnDProffitt
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone.  I save my files to my computer after every flight and always format the SD-Card after transferring them to my computer.  I just wish they stayed sequential like they do in my DLSR snd GoPro camera.  I guess I'll just stop formatting there card.  Great idea about putting your contact info on the drone.  I do have my FAA registration number on it but a phone number would probably be much better if I loose it.   
2021-1-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JohnDProffitt Posted at 1-12 17:20
I did lots of searches but they all focus on how to format the card.  That is not what I'm looking for.  Thanks though.

The other solution is to use a drone that uses DJI Go 4 which does have an option to set the File Index Mode to Continuous or Reset.
This is just another feature that was dropped in DJI Fly.
2021-1-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there John P. Thank you for reaching out and for this information you have posted. In addition to this  and just a reminder that if the SD Card is formatted, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should be formatted in to the FAT32 file system while the SD card that is larger thank 32GB should be formatted in to exFAT file system. Thank you.
2021-1-12
Use props
JohnDProffitt
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-12 19:48
Hello there John P. Thank you for reaching out and for this information you have posted. In addition to this  and just a reminder that if the SD Card is formatted, the SD card that is less than or equal to 32GB should be formatted in to the FAT32 file system while the SD card that is larger thank 32GB should be formatted in to exFAT file system. Thank you.

Thanks Stephen, I just let the drone format it but I will keep that in mind.
2021-1-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JohnLietzke Posted at 1-12 11:58
Just use a computer and delete the unwanted Photos and Videos.  You can hold on to any you want to keep on the SD card for later.  I try not to let the SD card full.  It only seems to run out of space when you are shooting something unique and really want to keep the footage.

Formating wipes out all the data on the SD card hence the restarting of the number sequence.

"Just use a computer and delete the unwanted Photos and Videos."

That's OK except it does not get rid of the unwanted hidden folders and files that DJI seem to intent on creating. Yes, you could set the computer to show all hidden folders and files, but many people do not know how to do this. For this reason I always suggest they format the card after each flight, much easier.
2021-1-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

JohnDProffitt Posted at 1-12 19:50
Thanks Stephen, I just let the drone format it but I will keep that in mind.

Hi there JohnDProffitt. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-1-14
Use props
djiuser_c7pw4Ap0o1qf
lvl.1
United States

Most of these solutions are unreasonable, inefficient or don't work. Mine may not be better for all but works great for myself and may for other Lightroom Classic users. The Fly App does not allow for any filename changes. So I'm stuck importing files that in some cases have reset during one day, i.e. Lr's folder system is date-based by default so finder had to add the '-1' ending to duplicates. A huge mess basically.

Aside from the sequencing I also wanted to change the 'DJI' prefix, something I've always been able to do.

My solution for all existing files ALREADY in Lightroom Classic:

1) search filename > contains 'DJI' and add all your photos to new collection
2) in grid mode sort by capture time
3) select all images
4) go to Library > rename photo... > in "file naming' I added a new preset for "MV3 + sequence from specified beginning" .. if your sequencing isn't a mess like mine you can actually purge the 'DJI' prefix and keep the # suffix.

Not only does this give you control of the exact filenames, but it does it within LrC so you don't have to worry about the headache of your files un-linking after you've reviewed, rated, culled, etc. Best aspect to this feature is that it actually changes the filename itself (not just in the LrC catalog like with changing the time/date of images).

Pretty busy at the moment but wanted to share. I've never had this sequencing issue with Canon, Sony or Nikon products so I share the frustration. Good luck everyone!
2022-5-4
Use props
djiuser_c7pw4Ap0o1qf
lvl.1
United States

just to follow up...
This is a new item and just coming around to figure out this issue but I anticipate not caring much about the sequencing problem since each import I'll rename all files with my "MV3_" plus the sequenced number starting at the number following the last filename from the previous import. Right now 8 days of photos -- 2800 photos and they all have a unique number and will until I pass 'MV3_9999' and it resets like all other cameras I work with do.

Cheers!
2022-5-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If using Windows renaming file in a folder en-masse is fairly  easy, have a look at something like Bulk Rename Utility. I would guess there are other such tools available for Macs and Linux.
2022-5-5
Use props
cleamon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135564 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2021-1-12 17:16
For my workflow, file names are irrelevant.  When I copy the files off the SD card onto my computer, I put them into a separate folder named with the date and a short description. Doing it this way makes it much easier to find the footage/photos I’m looking for.  I quite often use multiple cameras for a project, so inside of that folder, I also create another folder with the name of the camera the files came from.  Because of this, the file names really don’t matter because you aren’t just throwing them all into the same spot.  

Similarly, I use Adobe Lightroom to manage all my photos and videos.  The import function gives plenty of options for renaming (or not), and target folder.  For example:
[SD]->FILE_0021.mov gets put into [HD]/VidProjects/SierraClub/2022-04-01/HolstonRiver-GarbagePickup-001.mov
[SD]->FILE_0023.mov gets put into [HD]/VidProjects/SierraClub/2022-04-01/HolstonRiver-GarbagePickup-002.mov
and so forth.

As a bonus, you can add tags for identifying, places, people, or other relevant data for organization.  

LR is essentially free.  You sign up for a subscription (or free trial).  When the subscription (or trial) ends, you can still use all the cataloguing features, you just can't "develop".
2022-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules