Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pdu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155801 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi all

I just received my RSC 2 Pro Combo today and mounted my Canon EOS M50 on it, which works well, even with the small 22mm lens.

Next thing I wanted to try was to set up RavenEye with it. Attaching the Raveneye to the arm it is supposed to be was no problem, however connecting the cables to it was because the M50 has all ports on the righthand side next to the arm, which puts a lot of stress on the camera ports. I managed to find a temporary solution but will have a look for other cables. But this is a different story...

My main problem is that I can't balance the M50 with either the 22mm or the slightly bigger 15-45mm lens and the RavenEye attached.

Turning the camera 90° to face upwards, it always rolls forward. According to my understanding, the tilt arm holding the camera should be slided up to bring the weight more to its center. However, having the arm slided up completely will still result in the camera rolling forwards. I assume that the camera basically would need more weight 'on top' of it to, when facing upwards, have more counterweight. I have no clue how I would put more weight on top except maybe putting a counter-weight on the other end of that arm.

I also tried to put the RavenEye on top of the camera instead, but I still was not able to balance it correctly; I'd also like to refrain from that solution because the RavenEye will not hold properly on the top mount of the M50 and could easily fall off.

Does anyone have an Idea or possible solution I could try to solve my balancing problem? If my description is unclear I'd be happy to provide pictures for a better explanation.

Thanks in advance!

2021-1-13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, we will send your question to our engineers to check for any possible solutions. And just to confirm, you were mounting the RavenEye on the camera hotshoe, not under the DJI RSC2, correct? Or both combinations were failed to be balanced?

We will stay in touch, cheers.
2021-1-15
Use props
pdu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi Wanda,

Thanks for your reply! I was mounting the RavenEye under the DJI RSC 2 because it won't hold properly on the hotshoe of the M50 and will most likely fall off the camera when trying to balance it or when "hitting" it accidentally from the front of the camera. I thought about this to fix the weight distribution problem, but I could not try this properly. I would like to mount it to the arm because it's easier with the cabling and I would still have the option to put something else on top of the camera.

I also tried to use the taller camera riser from the Pro Combo, but it didn't help as much. Next thing I was researching was counter-weights to solve the problem. SmallRig has a "Counterweight & Mounting Clamp Kit" for the Ronin which I could attach to the other end of the arm for the weight distribution, but it only goes from 15mm up to 27mm. The arm of the RSC 2 however is either 10mm or 30mm, so it wouldn't fit.

Short update: I just got a SmallRig cold shoe adaptor that has a bit of weight and I put it on top of the camera. This allows for balancing and is a good workaround for now, but not the perfect solution of course.

2021-1-15
Use props
djiuser_imMQmaHKqQqJ
New

India

There are two problems with the raven eye and m50. If i mount it on the base then the cable does not reach the camera port.

If i mount it on top i.e hot shoe then the gimbal becomes unbalanced after some time.

Please provide some solution.
2021-2-4
Use props
djiuser_Efab9T3sFqAd
New

Poland

I also have a problem with cables in M50. I am not able to connect them due to lack of space. Has anyone solved the problem? I am seriously considering returning the gimbal to the seller because of this...
2021-2-5
Use props
pdu
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

I can give a little bit of insight about what I tried and how I (partially) solved some problems.

RavenEye and HDMI cable
There is indeed a problem with plugging in the provided HDMI cable because the thick part of the plug does not bend, thus putting stress on the camera's HDMI port. I got an idea from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSYB-S4Y8Xc and ordered L-Shape cables off of ebay (they haven't arrived yet, unfortunately). But this should solve the problem.

Another way that might solve the problem is to put more weight on the front of the quick-release plate. There's holes for screws to e.g. attach a lens stabilizer (if you have the pro combo) and I guess you could also put some counter-weight thumbscrews there, which would allow you to move the camera more "backward" and thus not having the gimbal arm get in the way of the HDMI cable. There's also counterweight kits that you can put under the quick-release plate. You could maybe have a look at the counter-weights from SmallRig as they produce various parts for DJI products

As a side note, this is only a problem if you're using small EF-M lenses, like e. g. the 15-14 kit lens or the 22mm lens. If you want to go for bigger lenses (I put a viltrox speedbooster/adapter on it with a sigma 24mm f/1.4 EF lens), the problem is gone as well because of the different weight distribution. I'm not sure if the viltrox adapter together with my canon 50mm will also work here.

RavenEye and cable length
One user mentioned that the cable is not long enough to reach the port. Well, there's two possible solutions to this. 1. Buy a longer cable. Or, what I did, 2. turn the RavenEye 180° and mount it that way on the gimbal arm, your cables will be long enough that way.

RavenEye and upwards balancing
As I described in my initial post; If you use small EF-M lenses (15-45mm kit lens or 22mm lens) and have the RavenEye mounted on the gimbal arm, you don't have enough counter-weight on top of the camera when you try to balance pointing the camera upwards. This problem is gone with bigger lenses (not tried with e.g. the canon EF 50mm and viltrox adapter, but certainly no problem with my sigma 24mm f1.4 EF lens).

As a workaround, I bought a cold shoe adapter for putting e.g. a monitor or LED light on top of the camera, and made sure that it is not just plastic but that is has a bit of weight (metal ball head, check the SmallRig products as well). This solved the balancing problem for me.

Hope this helps.
2021-2-5
Use props
JGomez87
New

United States

Hi all,

Having the same issue. Purchased the DJI RSC2 Pro. Trying to balance the Canon M50 with a Sigma 24-70 Art Lens, with Raven's Eye (which doesn't work due to cable length and hdmi location on m50, as mentioned above). I can't get it to balance properly, and cannot use Raven's Eye (I have purchased the L-shaped hmdi cable). I also wanted to attach an external mic on the m50's cold shoe up top, but there isn't enough clearance for the gimbal to try and balance. Really annoyed that this smaller camera can't seem to work on a gimbal that was meant for larger cameras.
2021-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules