Cinematic tutorial videos are a waste of time
495 6 2021-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trader6777
lvl.4
United States

Like many new Mini pilots, I wanted the skills to create cinematic footage.  But after 130+ flights, my footage looked like a 12 yr old at the controls.  I watched Youtube tutorials, and I couldn't replocate those step by step instructions.   I finally realized if I wanted to level up my skills, I had to stop watching the tutorials and I made 3 changes to my flying setup:

1]  Stop using quickshots, especially circle!  One of the most basic moves in cinematic footage is orbiting an object.  Circle is fun and easy, but it doesn't work well with larger objects futher away, like a building.  This is a skill best learned starting small, like orbiting around yourself or even a park bench.

2]  Fly close to home!  When you're practicing a cinematic move, not only should the drone be in your line of sight, it should be close enough to see if it's facing you.  This gives visual conformation, off the screen, how smoothly you're flying.  Best training distance is up to 150 ft away and 30 ft high.

3]  No right or left turns!  By definition, cinematic footage is a just reveal shot done slowly and gracefully.  A right or left turn is a reveal shot, without the slowly and gracefully part.  So, Part 1: Choose straight line path or orbit around an object, but no turns.  Part 2: Complete the reveal shot by slowly raising the camera angle from the ground or raising the height.

Anthing more technical than this is a waste of time, IMO. Practice and level up.

2021-1-13
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

There are SO many things to learn. You'll get out to the field and everything you're trying to learn will fly out of your mind faster than the props spin.

Look at your vids and pick one thing you'd like to learn to fix and concentrate on fixing that. Don't worry if it takes a few tries.

When you're doing that well, look again at your recent vids and pick another factor to work on.

And sometimes, I look at a shot and think, "what kind of goofball shot this!"
2021-1-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there trader6777. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have made my own video about this topic. (so one more video )
Just some examples of what moves I like to make.

2021-1-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

As the old saying goes "practice does  make perfect" or nearly perfect.  Like Tentoes said in Post 2, fixing one thing at a time is a great way to improve.
2021-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 1-14 06:04
I have made my own video about this topic. (so one more video  )
Just some examples of what moves I like to make.

Nice video and move tips!
2021-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-14 11:12
Nice video and move tips!

Thanks a lot!
2021-1-14